Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 25,613 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I think I may be getting a job offer in Barrow very soon. I've tried to do a good deal of research on the town and daily living in these forums, they've been great.

I know it will be dreadfully cold particularly in winter. Presuming I get all the appropriate outerwear, do you think it is dangerous or way too inconvenient to get by on walking, presuming I'm close enough to work and other necessities? I see that the majority of the town is within about a 2.5 mile length. My assignment might be temporary, so checking to see if I can avoid buying a vehicle! Perhaps I could get local taxi/etc. for occasional needs?

Any insight would be appreciated! Even if it is just telling me this idea is nuts!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
You don't need a vehicle for a temp assignment. Plenty of taxi's. Even in the winter I'd quite often walk from Browerville into Barrow. Not very far at all.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Thanks stiffnecked. How about long term?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,862,582 times
Although it’s been 15 years since I lived in Barrow I doubt the transportation has changed much.

IMHO a vehicle is convenient but not necessary. As said above taxies are plentiful and compared to the cost of buying, maintaining and the cost of fuel not that expensive. The Bus system was, and I’m guessing still is, great. The buses have a tracking system so that you can watch them on TV that way you go to the bus stop only when the bus is close to you. No need to stand in the cold for long.

I would think that if you plan on living in Barrow for five or more years owning a vehicle there may be more practical.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,514,425 times
You can walk just about everywhere you need to go assuming the weather is good which, in the winter, isn't always a good assumption to make, but taxis are everywhere here. There are four taxi companies running 24/7 and unless you need to go to the college or way the hell down Cake Eater Road, will get you anywhere for five to six dollars.

I can't speak for the bus as I've never taken it, I try to walk any time I can.

Getting a car here is expensive, gas is going to be $6.20 a gallon, you'd have to get it winterized, it will get dirty, the windows will crack and unless you sell it you'll have to ship it out. You can always buy a Barrow beater if so inclined but expect to pay way more then the Bluebook value unless you buy a POS and decide to fix whatever varied mechanical issues it may have.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM

Thanks very much for the info folks. I think I read that the bus service is no longer there, sadly. Think I'll see what I can manage without a vehicle if I go!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpecan View Post
Thanks very much for the info folks. I think I read that the bus service is no longer there, sadly. Think I'll see what I can manage without a vehicle if I go!
I was here 11 months the first go and I'm on month seven this time, both times sans car. I do fine.

Though I am thinking of getting a snowmachine for gits and shiggles.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Yeah Wynter, I was thinking it would be nice to have something for recreation - heading out to more remote areas, exploring and what not. I suppose I could rent something for a day here and there.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpecan View Post
Yeah Wynter, I was thinking it would be nice to have something for recreation - heading out to more remote areas, exploring and what not. I suppose I could rent something for a day here and there.
Riding the tundra on a snowmachine is thrilling and dangerous. I love it!! Plus you can ride them around town.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM

30 posts, read 69,114 times
How about a dogsled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska