Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM

36 posts, read 109,164 times

Advertisements

No problem Neph.....what color do you want?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Just the old basic tan will do.

I'll even take a D100 or D120, though the 120 is a bit long.

No matter what, I'm sure you will find something that will hit you that you just love about Barrow.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:04 PM

140 posts, read 470,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
I thoroughly enjoy reading all of the posts on here regarding Barrow. I not only want to hear the positive things, but the negative too. If someone asks me how I like Phoenix I give them the honest answer I would like to hear.
It is a very large city and there is a plethora of things to do everyday. It is hard to not be able to find something if you want it. Say, you want a collection of Coach bags, there is a store for that. Perhaps you want a Land Rover or Ferrari. Heck, I'll show you where the dealerships are.

I also tell people what a beautiful city it is. The highways have beautiful landscaping on the side of the roads. The houses all have beautiful landscaping. Palm trees abound. And the weather is absolutely gorgeous 350 days a year. At Christmas you can wear shorts and a t-shirt.

However, all those things are only the good things. I could also tell you that Phoenix is the number 2 place to have your car stolen. I could tell you that everyone has a sense of entitlement here. Everyone wants a free handout. You can drive down a beautiful palm tree lined boulevard and see it littered with illegals looking for day labor. A drive out on the indian reservation will show you how well our local tribes value the land. Junk and trash litter the land. Houses have windows torn out and junk cars litter the yard. It seems as though they have no respect for the land.

I expect that living in Barrow is going to be a learning experience. I am sure there are things I will love about the town just like there will be things I will hate about it. I am open to learning a new culture and savor the idea of a small close-knit community and all it has to offer. Hell, I am even enjoying packing all my stuff, selling my other stuff, and counting down the days until I leave for Barrow. May 25th can't come soon enough.

I am ready.
Well aren't you excited! I love the ending " I AM READY "
Enjoy your time in barrow!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 PM

11 posts, read 43,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
I thoroughly enjoy reading all of the posts on here regarding Barrow. I not only want to hear the positive things, but the negative too. If someone asks me how I like Phoenix I give them the honest answer I would like to hear.
It is a very large city and there is a plethora of things to do everyday. It is hard to not be able to find something if you want it. Say, you want a collection of Coach bags, there is a store for that. Perhaps you want a Land Rover or Ferrari. Heck, I'll show you where the dealerships are.

I also tell people what a beautiful city it is. The highways have beautiful landscaping on the side of the roads. The houses all have beautiful landscaping. Palm trees abound. And the weather is absolutely gorgeous 350 days a year. At Christmas you can wear shorts and a t-shirt.

However, all those things are only the good things. I could also tell you that Phoenix is the number 2 place to have your car stolen. I could tell you that everyone has a sense of entitlement here. Everyone wants a free handout. You can drive down a beautiful palm tree lined boulevard and see it littered with illegals looking for day labor. A drive out on the indian reservation will show you how well our local tribes value the land. Junk and trash litter the land. Houses have windows torn out and junk cars litter the yard. It seems as though they have no respect for the land.

I expect that living in Barrow is going to be a learning experience. I am sure there are things I will love about the town just like there will be things I will hate about it. I am open to learning a new culture and savor the idea of a small close-knit community and all it has to offer. Hell, I am even enjoying packing all my stuff, selling my other stuff, and counting down the days until I leave for Barrow. May 25th can't come soon enough.

I am ready.
Has it occured to you that perhaps you are moving to a place much like the Indian Reservation you don't seen to care for. Junk and trash litter the land. Many houses in barrow could easily be classified as "busted up", cars litter the entire town. If you don't like the Native Indian culture in AZ then I don't think you'll care for the Native Inupiat culture either. Most of all, this sense of entitlement is higher in Barrow than anywhere (including a couple of reservations I've worked at in the lower 48). Especially working at the hospital, the Inupiat, don't have to pay anything to be seen which is why you'll get patients in at 0200 wanting birth control, pregnancy tests, etc-- or better yet they brought their 6 kids with them for ear checks and they'll just sit there while their kids destroy the clinic room that you will get to clean up. I would just really consider if you don't particularly like Hispanics or American Indians then why come to Barrow? Seriously, Barrow is a reservation on ice.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Traveler, sounds to me that you are quite the racist sort of person.
Just an observation.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'..., besides Icu2rn and her hubby are empty-nesters (forgive me if wrong, didn't go check), and at that point all of us need a little adventure and scaling back of material items we seem to collect and haul around with us. Everyone finds their solitude in different ways, different places. It sounds to me like they are tired of the big city life and want to scale down, mind you doing this on the edge of North America. More power to them, and they can always change their minds and go elsewhere if they desire. Obviously Barrow is not the place for everyone, but neither is Phoenix or other larger cities. They gain a lot in the move with no urban nastiness, will experience Alaska at probably somewhere of the most extreme...but they will have that for a lifetime....good or bad...

Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'..., besides Icu2rn and her hubby are empty-nesters (forgive me if wrong, didn't go check), and at that point all of us need a little adventure and scaling back of material items we seem to collect and haul around with us. Everyone finds their solitude in different ways, different places. It sounds to me like they are tired of the big city life and want to scale down, mind you doing this on the edge of North America. More power to them, and they can always change their minds and go elsewhere if they desire. Obviously Barrow is not the place for everyone, but neither is Phoenix or other larger cities. They gain a lot in the move with no urban nastiness, will experience Alaska at probably somewhere of the most extreme...but they will have that for a lifetime....good or bad...
How true!

The least it is going to be is one Hell of a great adventure.

Of course for those who come here for money, and especially the ones who are willing to stay here for years just to make that money, it's not exactly wonderful. That's pretty much what most of the vitriol we see here is from. Sour grapes, and lost dillusions of grandeur...

Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 PM

11 posts, read 43,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Traveler, sounds to me that you are quite the racist sort of person.
Just an observation.
Obviously, I'm the racist one for pointing out that there may be similar social issues among native peoples of the arctic and the southwest. Of course, I must be racist because there are no social issues in Barrow- right - it's an utopian eden- Zion right there in the arctic.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM

36 posts, read 109,164 times
I understand there will be social issues in Barrow. There are social issues no matter where you go. All I am saying is that I am tired of the rat race here in Phoenix. What I AM looking forward to is a slower pace in life. I am tired of the 5-6 hour waits in the ER. I am tired of not getting a lunch break, potty break, etc. I do not care if you bring your child to the ER with a runny nose at 2 am. I just want to have the time to actually take care of patients the way the need to be taken care of.

I know Barrow is not going to be Nirvana. However, it is someplace new. I have been in Phoenix for 7 years and I am tired of it. I do not know how long I will be in Barrow. I am not delusional enough to say that I will stay forever. However, I know I will give it at least a year or more. I am looking forward to the adventure.Next stop?????? Who knows? Antarctica perhaps.....maybe Australia.

Yes, we are empty nesters. Yes, I have Multiple Sclerosis. I refuse to allow an illness to control my life. When you get diagnosed with a disease that may leave you in a wheelchair or wearing diapers, you realize what the important things are in life. To hell with the money. As long as I have enough to live on I am happy. I just want to experience things that I have never experienced, see places that others only dream of, and live my life trying to make a difference to someone.

Not looking for Utopia.....just peace of mind

Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM

244 posts, read 486,185 times
Quote:
Phoenix??? worked there for 2 weeks in June. Was 97 degrees at 3 in the morning with lightning storms all night. The a/c was so over taxed at the hotel i was in it kept my room a cool 85 degrees all day long. Then i couldnt buy beer on sunday in the neighborhood i was in!!!! I agree it was nice looking from inside the air conditioned truck just dont roll down the windows!!!
Point is..its all in your perspective! Phoenix was bad for this roofer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska