Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times

Advertisements

Can be a dog's name, too. Like Turner and Hootch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
I guess it all depends on how you want to spell it. Hooch, I think you usually drink. Hootch is what we lived in. A hootch is very simple. Not something you would see on the Home and Garden channel.... I think all told I had $4500 is this one I built down in southeast. It was quite simple but very warm and dry. The second story was the sleeping area and it was about 5'9" tall as I am 5'8". I should have made it a couple of inches taller as I forgot about boots adding height. It was only 12'x16'. And I am not a carpenter so it was pretty rough.

You have to remember though, the smaller it is the less area you have to heat. My next one will be 16'x16'. And I might put in another window or two...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Looks good from where I'm sitting!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM

24 posts, read 91,140 times
Exclamation Alaska isn't cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeo&juju View Post
question how much would it cost to bulid a cabin

Well, the cost is always changing, my friend just built a small one bedroom 16x20 ft cabin with water and it put her back about $17,000 which is cheap.... she got most of her materials like fuel tank, and well with a pump.. second hand. It would cost roughly around $25,000 to build a 20x20 1 story cabin with a 30ft ft well. fuel costs are extreem here..three weeks it averages about $600-700 and rising. I love it here in alaska, but the cost of living is outragious... It is like living in a whole different country here also.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaApril View Post
Well, the cost is always changing, my friend just built a small one bedroom 16x20 ft cabin with water and it put her back about $17,000 which is cheap.... she got most of her materials like fuel tank, and well with a pump.. second hand. It would cost roughly around $25,000 to build a 20x20 1 story cabin with a 30ft ft well. fuel costs are extreem here..three weeks it averages about $600-700 and rising. I love it here in alaska, but the cost of living is outragious... It is like living in a whole different country here also.
If I understand you correctly your using 200 gallons of oil a month right now? How big is your house? The tempatures are not cold enough to be using that much oil, unless your in a large home. I am figuring $3. a gallon for fuel. Do you heat your hot water with the boiler? Just seems high to me.

P.S. Welcome to the Alaska Forum Enjpoy!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,762 times
Smile Building a 1 bedroom type of house/cabin in remote Alaska

I am very much interested to know to know the approximate price of building a remote cabin with the regular amenities, over-insulated in remote Alaska. A place to retreat in the Summers (maybe winter if possible) in a well stocked Bush plane.
I live in NY but am seriously considering to move to remote Alaska. Please don't place a ball park figure, just give me a figure and also tell me how you arrived on it, means what part is transportation, cost of material, cost of labor, etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:00 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
I can't give you a ballpark figure or anything. The price would vary widely from southeast to northwestern Alaska by thousands of dollars. Do you have any idea of what part of the State you are looking at????

Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeo&juju View Post
they also think well freeze to death or something
You might, if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm being serious here.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 AM

17 posts, read 56,389 times
We lived in Cordova AK, and are now planning our return to the Soldotna/Sterling area. My husband is a Carpenter by profession, and he has spent many days planning our home he is going to build. He figured that he can build a 3 bedroom ranch style house after purchasing the land for around $40,000.00. That is buying the lumber from Lowe's and my hubby building it. So we will not have any labor costs. He is the laborer!! We don't want a castle, we just want a functional home where we can have fun and stay warm and enjoy Alaska again! You can live in Alaska without going broke, yes it is expensive, but you have to decide what is important to you and don't buy the rest of the junk. Planning trips to Anchorage and buying in bulk helps out the grocery bill. In Cordova we filed our Yukon to the roof and stores canned foods everywhere including under the beds. Planning ahead is the key to survival, it also helps reduce the stress so you can enjoy the beautiful scenery!

Dreamers

Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times
Just a thought, if you haven't already done so check the local Lows prices. They may be higher than you thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska