Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 42,477 times

Advertisements

Hello, my son is moving to Alaska with his girlfriend and her relatives. Her parents have s job contract, but my son doesn't have job yet. He went to a mechanics school in Houston, and worked for a while in Houston Airport loading and unloading airplanes. What are his posibilities to find a well paid job in Bethel (which is the town they are moving to) ? Do they have good benefits in those jobs in Alaska?
This is my other question. What things you MUST HAVE TO TAKE with you when you move over there? You know things that you take for granted that you can find in any store here in the city, that you may not find overthere and you will regreat that you did not take it with you?

I would appreciate any input on this questions I have.

Mixcoac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 06:48 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,873,248 times
Warm clothing and footwear. Maybe some reading material. If he's got hobbies, might consider bringing stuff to work on wilst looking for work.
He can try www.jobs.state.ak.us/ and maybe find something in that area. Relax Mom! I'm sure he'll be fine. If he don't like it he'll probably be calling you wanting to come home!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Hi Rance!!! I appreciated your quick response. In fact I'm the Dad. In fact she is not so worry as I'm. I'm thinking about that because he should be working to support his new family. you know. Your input is good. I will suggest him to take books and his games.

thanks.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:29 PM

366 posts, read 387,919 times
Hi Mixcoac,

it seems like a lot of people are moving to/asking about Bethel these days.

I would think that his mechanic's training would be very helpful to him when looking for work. Is it aviation mechanics by any chance?

About what to take...he should take a computer so he can order stuff online that he needs. Warm clothes of course, music, dvds--what Rance said, whatever is important to him. sometimes it's the really small things that people find themselves missing a lot once they get out there.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,873,248 times
I apologize Mixcoac! You did sound like anyone's Mom getting worried about thier child tho! I would like to add to the list...bring a camera. Preferably digital. Then they can maybe share some photo's with those of us that have never been there?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:19 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,240,348 times
I thought I posted this earlier, and if it's cross threaded, my apologies.

Take books. Take movies, a VCR or DVD player. Dress warmly, and keep your attitude at the same temperature. Yupi'k folk wear their hearts on their sleeve as someone said somewhere else in this forum. They are the key to enjoying Bethel.

Leave your superior attitude and your expectations. The first will only alienate the people you'll need to survive your 1st winter, and the sense of surpise and amazement will blow away your expectations. Alaska has wonders around every corner, and the commonplace up here can be unheard of Outside. Life outside of Anchorage in Alaska has its own way of doing things. "Make it do, or do without", is more than a phrase. It's a survival trait.

Bring your kids. They'll thank you for the experience. It will serve them in good stead. They will learn things in Alaska that they could never begin to experience Outside. They'll become more independent and less dependent upon others. Self reliance is a wonderful thing, especially when you teach 'em young.

Bring your dog if you've got one. Companionship and love without strings are the best things in the world.

Bring your hunting and fishing gear. And always remember, the weather changes.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:04 PM

Hey guys, Thank you for all your information. I start liking to chat, you know this is my first time in a chat-room. I'm glad I did it. It is a good way to get information form people how really have experienced the life in Alaska (in this case.) Therefore, the information provided is soo valuable.
I'm a bilingual teacher here in San Antonio, Tx. If I can be of any help, I will be glad to do my best to do it.

Last edited by Mixcoac; 02-15-2007 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Adding information.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,948 times
Take food you can't do without: Oreos,heinz ketchup, frenchs mustard, canned vegies, fruits, dehydrated milk. If you have a baby take lots of diapers and baby food. Warm coat, gloves, socks and hat are mandatory. Shoes should be heavy workboot type with treads. Consider getting those metal mesh things that go over shoes to allow better purchase on the snow and ice. It may be cheaper to go over the airline weight limit than to get it shipped out to you later. Bethel is one of the airport "hubs" for the area. Go on the web and you can see pictures of it on google earth, and check out the state websitehttp://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/commdb/CF_BLOCK.htm and enter Bethel.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,948 times
In Alaska, fresh fruit and vegies are extremely expensive in Anchorage, and even more in the Native Villages. You might want to fill up prior to your trip. Alaska is one of the only places I've lived where a salad or fruitbowl offering disappear faster than salmon at a potluck.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,246,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixcoac View Post
Hello, my son is moving to Alaska with his girlfriend and her relatives. Her parents have s job contract, but my son doesn't have job yet. He went to a mechanics school in Houston, and worked for a while in Houston Airport loading and unloading airplanes. What are his posibilities to find a well paid job in Bethel (which is the town they are moving to) ? Do they have good benefits in those jobs in Alaska?
This is my other question. What things you MUST HAVE TO TAKE with you when you move over there? You know things that you take for granted that you can find in any store here in the city, that you may not find overthere and you will regreat that you did not take it with you?

I would appreciate any input on this questions I have.

Mixcoac
Money, lots of it. You will need it. With enough money you can buy what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: