Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 PM

27 posts, read 58,626 times

Advertisements

ive always wanted to move to alaska. i finally saved enough to even consider it. i was wondering about the fishing indusrty.how often are they looking for greenhorns? im in shape,motivated,i love the water!,i love hard work! (time flies). i was told the best way to get a job is to walk the docks.what harbors would be my best bet?

im 22 years old. i plan on joining the Coast Guard in 2 years or whenever i can save up enough to get my tattoos removed,my right leg is covered
with Zombies!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ontheedge9992; 04-17-2009 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,168,279 times
Good luck on the greenhorn job. I take it you are watching Deadliest Catch?

UniSea, Inc.: Alaskan Seafood is our Business

Might have better luck here.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 PM

792 posts, read 1,303,115 times
Think your move closely, many boats are out of Washington (state). Just a thought, but I hope you aren't making this decision based on a very popular TV show.."Deadliest Catch". The show is interesting, but honestly does not do that profession justice...Many fishing operations are or were family businesses, and getting a job with a defined "share" takes alot of time, and everyone pays their dues. I'm not gonna lecture on the inherent danger of the job, at 22, I was looking for the same adventure you are seeking....That particular career is very, very dangerous, and January on the Bering Sea is very unforgiving with few second chances. One way to break in is to check summer fishing jobs down in the lower 48. You might find it somewhat different than what you envision. Whatever you choose, stay safe, that particular industry is much mor than a "job"...it's a way of life....Good Luck

Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 PM

thats the industry im in now(shrimp) and i love it! i love being in the water! but ive ALWAYS wanted to go to Alaska.and where im at in my life , im not tied down to anything,no wife,no kids,no family. and like i said ive been saving up,what all do they fish for in alaska? salmon and crab is all i know? any job on a boat would do.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheedge9992 View Post
ive always wanted to move to alaska. i finally saved enough to even consider it. i was wondering about the fishing indusrty.how often are they looking for greenhorns? im in shape,motivated,i love the water!,i love hard work! (time flies). i was told the best way to get a job is to walk the docks.what harbors would be my best bet?

im 22 years old. i plan on joining the Coast Guard in 2 years or whenever i can save up enough to get my tattoos removed,my right leg is covered
with Zombies!

Thanks in advance

Coast Guard, eh? And commercial fishing? Well, you'd do well to choose a town where BOTH are located. (Why should you have to commute back and forth looking for a job?) I'm thinking Seward, or Kodiak. Is there Coast Guard in Dutch Harbor? If so, include that town too...
Check with the Guard: maybe they won't care about the tats...
Other Alaska locations with BOTH fishing and coast guard: Homer, Valdez, Ketchikan, Cordova, Petersburg, and Sitka...

Seward, Ak, live cam of boat harbor: Seward Alaska Harbor Webcam - Major Marine Tours (http://www.majormarine.com/webcam/ - broken link)

Dutch Harbor cams: Dutch Harbor Alaska Webcams | Alaska Webcam

If you are interested in any particular location, do a Google search for "XXXX (town) alaska webcam"

I don't know anything about the other locations, but I do know there is a coast guard cutter stationed in Seward all the time. And we are also a commercial fishing port with two canneries. And we are also located in Kenai Fjords National Park...just absolutely NO-WAY you can beat the scenery...it's totally, absolutely, incredibly...100% beautiful...ya gotta see it to believe it...this is the best...(just IMO)

Kenai Fjords National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Bud
Seward, Ak

Last edited by BudinAk; 04-18-2009 at 01:27 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 01:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,237,048 times
Cod, pollock, halibut, herring, etc. Remember, for every guy that comes into this forum asking about fishing jobs (Dutch, Dillingham, Naknek, Kodiak, Homer, etc.), there are a hundred more, at least who are already walking the piers. If you get into the processing side, you will at least have a job and can walk the piers in your off hours. But I wouldn't count on getting a job, even so. The wild and wooly days of these fishing boats is rapidly fading away. Catch limits are getting smaller, and the insurance and other costs are getting other boats and skippers out of the business. Fewer boats, fewer jobs.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:03 PM

thanks 4 all of the information. and thanks BudinAk for the webcam idea ive been looking up all kinds of places lol! i want to go to Alaska more than anything! According to this article Salmon season starts in July so i guess ill wait it out another month or so...im definitely going though! Thanks again.and if anyone else is interested check this link. How to Get Work On An Alaskan Fishing Boat

Old 04-19-2009, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 37,037 times
ontheedge,

Use your money you saved up to get some tattoo removal done, they don't have to be completely gone just not more than 25% of your whole leg can be covered, then when you get out of boot camp put in for any unit in alaska... Bam two birds 1 stone.... where are you living now? have you talked to any CG recruiters? (sometimes you can get a waiver for tattoo's)

Steve

Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM

im in Columbia SC and yes ive talked to a recruiter. he said Whoa! when i lifted my pant leg. and he just said i was a DQ when i asked if i could get it removed he said they can't tell you to get it removed,because if u do and it scars thats also a DQ(because the scar is in the shape of the tattoo). i talked to a dermatologist and they said it would mostly likely take 10 to 15 treatments
and couldnt guarantee no scarring......

Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 PM

140 posts, read 471,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven.m View Post
ontheedge,

Use your money you saved up to get some tattoo removal done, they don't have to be completely gone just not more than 25% of your whole leg can be covered, then when you get out of boot camp put in for any unit in alaska... Bam two birds 1 stone.... where are you living now? have you talked to any CG recruiters? (sometimes you can get a waiver for tattoo's)

Steve
Yeah but what are the chances of getting put where you want?..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska