Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:31 AM

58 posts, read 312,796 times

Advertisements

I read that alaska has no black widows, but what other venomis spiders and snakes are there near anderson. We have an infant sone and are movint there, nearest hospital is in fairbanks so we want to know for a precaution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Wink Alaska Self-Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeo&juju View Post
I read that alaska has no black widows, but what other venomis spiders and snakes are there near anderson. We have an infant sone and are movint there, nearest hospital is in fairbanks so we want to know for a precaution
Correct, there are no black widows in Alaska. There are also no snakes, poisonous spiders, cockroaches, tics, or fleas in Alaska. The sheer number of mosquitoes can be annoying when you first arrive, but not life threatening. The West Nile virus has not made it to Alaska, and there is doubt Alaskan mosquitoes can even carry the disease.

The only real threats in Alaska come considerably larger than your average insect. You should have a good, reliable 12-gauge shotgun loaded with 00-buck and .65 cal slugs just in case. Moose, grizzlies, and to a much lessor extent wolves, are the only critters in the Animal Kingdom that can cause serious harm to Alaskans.

Moose are very large, about five times larger than your typical white-tailed deer. They also fear nothing and have a very arrogant personality. Moose will go out of their way to trample people, for no apparent reason!

Bears aren't that big of a problem if you keep your household trash secured. Bears are very curious. They aren't nearly as mean tempered as moose, but they will attack if surprised or threatened.

Wolves are really only a threat to household pets and small children, and even then only rarely. They are generally very shy of humans, and prefer not to have any encounters, but it is not unknown for a pack of wolves to take sled dogs (http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/rural/story/9432029p-9344220c.html - broken link) and children under the age of 10.

I don't mean to sound overly dramatic, it isn't like there are attacks from moose, bear, or wolves every day in Alaska. I have been here 16 years and had numerous moose and bear encounters without feeling threatened or having the need to defend myself. But I still go into the bush armed for bear, just in case. It is always better to have a firearm and not need it, than to need a firearm and not have one.

A medium or large dog would also be a good means of getting advanced warning, and possibly offer the critter a distraction long enough for you to get your firearm. There are also mice, voles, shrews, and mink in Alaska, so a cat wouldn't be out of place either.

Last edited by Glitch; 11-09-2007 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 10:34 AM

thatnk you so mch you have been very helpful, so have you personally been to anderson? were just eally nervous, you see my sister inlaw husband son and myself are moving for several readon, mainly because its beautiful new start. my in laws dont know yet,we havent figuredout howto tell them w/out think were bein rediculous. Were ready for this and trying to learn as much as possible

Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
[Sorry to mention that there are roaches, fleas, weevils and other vermin in Alaska. Possibly less than other states since our climate is not very welcoming. If you keep a clean house it is easy to keep them out.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:38 AM

whats weevils?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeo&juju View Post
thatnk you so mch you have been very helpful, so have you personally been to anderson? were just eally nervous, you see my sister inlaw husband son and myself are moving for several readon, mainly because its beautiful new start. my in laws dont know yet,we havent figuredout howto tell them w/out think were bein rediculous. Were ready for this and trying to learn as much as possible
I have been past Anderson a few times when I have driven to Fairbanks. Anderson is just north of Clear AFB, between Denali National Park and Fairbanks. The Parks Highway is only a few miles east of Anderson. I have never personally visited Anderson though.

Google Map: Anderson, Alaska

Before you purchase any land in Alaska, I would strongly advise that you personally check out the land first-hand. There can be numerous issues that photographs, even satellite images, can't tell you. You won't know the condition or number of spruce, for example. You may not have enough suitable trees to build the cabin you wanted, even on 39 acres. The water table depth is also important to know if you intend on having a well. If a well isn't possible, then you will have to arrange for water deliveries from a potable water source.

Another consideration is access. How will you get to the property in summer? How much of the property is covered by muskeg or permafrost? Is there good drainage for the snow melt-off in the Spring? These, and a thousand other questions can only be answered by visiting the property.

I would also have a "Plan B" in case things don't work out like you anticipate. Create a schedule of when certain tasks have to be completed, and stick to it as best as possible. If you fall behind schedule, fall back on "Plan B".

The absolute latest you want to have your cabin completed is by mid-September. It is already getting cold that far north, and it has been known to snow by then. If the cabin isn't ready for you to spend the winter by mid-September, I would get an apartment in Fairbanks and wait until Spring before finishing the cabin. Don't try to brave out the winter in an unfinished cabin.

The growing period for vegatables is very short in Anderson. You will only have from late-May to late-August to get in a crop or two. Don't buy your seeds in the lower-48. Buy them in Alaska from Alaskan greenhouses.

You should be able to find everything you will need in Fairbanks, so you won't have to buy and ship items from the lower-48.

-----

P.S. The only cockroaches, fleas, tics, snakes and poisonous spiders you will find in Alaska are the ones you bring with you from the lower-48. They are not indigenous to Alaska.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Firstly, all spiders are VENOMOUS(minus a few ultra-rare species), not poisonous. Secondly, I cannot recall a single species of spider nor snake in Alaska that are potentially harmful. However, if youre severly allergic to spider bites, any single bite could potentially put you at risk. Black widows (Latrodectus genus) range into Canada, but not Alaska.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM

145 posts, read 866,208 times
Steveeo&juju,
I just wanted to thank you for all the questions you're asking here. My husband and I with our two young children (under 3) are also planning on moving up in March-April, though we're heading to Anchorage. You're asking a lot of questions I hadn't thought of, and many I just hadn't asked yet. And thank you to everyone here who has been so helpful in answering.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM

The worst bug I have encountered in Alaska has been White Socks (a.k.a. Black flies). The female of the species bite, that causes severe itching and inflammation, leaving permanent scars. Several bites can swell a hand or foot. They are particularly good at getting into tight spaces. So keep your pant legs tucked into your boots when hiking through the bush.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Although there are no poisonous spiders in Alaska, there have been cases where people have been bitten by black recluse spiders that make it up here in shipping containers from the lower-48. Other than that, it's too cold for spiders to thrive during the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska