Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Do yo have the flying kind we have in Florida?

Nothing like a flying 3 inch roach to get your attention...
Blaberus giganteus are limited to tropical areas. They are found in Brazil, El Salvador, Panama, northern South America, and the West Indies. They prefer quiet, dark, and humid caves in rain-forests.

They are also sold as pets, which I find pretty disgusting, but it means they could potentially show up anywhere. However, I do not think they would last long outside of the tropics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Blaberus giganteus are limited to tropical areas. They are found in Brazil, El Salvador, Panama, northern South America, and the West Indies. They prefer quiet, dark, and humid caves in rain-forests.

They are also sold as pets, which I find pretty disgusting, but it means they could potentially show up anywhere. However, I do not think they would last long outside of the tropics.
How do you get a leash on one of those bad boys when you want to take it for a walk?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:25 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
How do you get a leash on one of those bad boys when you want to take it for a walk?
I guess it would be more like a string, like a ballon...

Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
3" are the adult sized ones here... Although, I have been finding what we call 'german cockroaches' lately while doing yard work. Never know what is going to pop out from underneath that rock you are going to move.

The central/south American flying roaches are 6" long with a 1 foot wingspan... Not so sure I could handle seeing those on a regular basis... I'm guessing you need to kill those with a rifle of some sort.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,149 times
Maybe they could be Ted Nugent's next target, since he's not going to be shooting any Alaskan bears for a while.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
There you go...

Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 PM

162 posts, read 362,113 times
We had a spiderbite case in the ER a couple of weeks back. Thing about spiderbites (from the spiders here, at least), they can get really nasty looking and painful but at the end of the day, they're still pretty benign. Clean up the wound, treat any opportunistic infection, and you're pretty much golden. You'd have to be very negligent to have a fatal spiderbite here- as in not noticing that your leg has started rotting off.
Speaking of that, had a gangrene case not too long ago too. Now that, that's unpleasant.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
One of the greatest things about Alaska is NO TICKS (at least that is what I've been told)... I've handled spiders, not crazy about them, but they are much less of an issue then TICKS... I love exploring and hiking in the woods and know about the mosquitoes since they can carry you away here in WI and Alaska also.. along with black flies and Nats/ no seeums but TICKS... YIKES... keep those huge flying cockaroaches right where they are .. thank you very much LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM

868 posts, read 1,427,149 times
Several years ago, I had what I now believe was a spider bite. It was a large, perfectly round, red spot on my outer thigh that itched and burned, looked nasty as hell, and didn't heal for weeks. It happened shortly after I had been organizing some old clothes in our basement that were to be donated to charity. If it was a spider, I got pretty lucky, judging by some of the photos I have seen online.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM

162 posts, read 362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Several years ago, I had what I now believe was a spider bite. It was a large, perfectly round, red spot on my outer thigh that itched and burned, looked nasty as hell, and didn't heal for weeks. It happened shortly after I had been organizing some old clothes in our basement that were to be donated to charity. If it was a spider, I got pretty lucky, judging by some of the photos I have seen online.
Sounds like a spider bite. You did get lucky, but also I assume that if it continued to get worse, you would have sought medical help? That's where people really get in trouble with spiderbites- when they don't (or can't) get help. If it happens again, see a doctor as there are things they can give you to lessen the pain and prevent it from scarring as badly.

As for ticks- the CDC says there are no lyme-vector ticks in Alaska, but the Lyme Disease Association has a map based on CDC data which shows 53 reported cases of lyme disease in Alaska between 1990 and 2010 (and they estimate that the total # of cases is approx. 530). Given the severity of complications from untreated lyme disease, I think it would be wise to not assume you're safe from ticks here- especially in SE Alaska which is close to areas which the CDC does say has endemic lyme-vector ticks (Vancouver island).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska