Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 10:02 AM

1,017 posts, read 639,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If you don’t like it, there’s North Korea.
That's cute, but it serves no purpose here. You have built a wonderful narrative that is hinged on me not liking billionaires just because they are rich and successful and that I owe my very life and well being to them.

That's a lie and you know it because you conveniently ignore the reasoning behind my stance in your long winded pointless replies.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:08 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Corporations shouldn’t pay any taxes. They provide goods, services, and jobs. That’s enough of a benefit to not be oppressed by taxation. Competition is good for corporations and individuals. Squeezing out others by outperforming them is excellent! And good for the losers who need to figure out how to improve. There is no “putting people out of work”. A job is a temporary agreement to trade time and talent for money. It is not an entitlement, or a right. If a company outsources labor, it is acting in its best interest and it will be able to price its products and services more competitively. Good for consumers. Good for everyone. If you lose your job, time to trade your time and talent to a new buyer. If there are no new buyers, learn something new. It’s good to be always learning and developing. Even when you’re 60 and near retirement. The writing is ALWAYS on the wall. You should always be learning new skills. Your old skills have a shelf life, and it’s usually shorter than you think.
This is STAGGERINGLY uninformed, and reminiscent of Ayn Rand's worst attempts at glorifying greed.

Most of us who have worked in any higher position in a corporation understand the concept of keeping just this side of the legal definition of "predatory." Moving jobs offshore to avoid labor costs AND having to be responsible to the environment are NOT in any way beneficial to the AMERICAN worker or America in general. Just a few examples:

The current chip shortage because of problems in the Asian foundries are crippling automakers.
Those same chips and shortages represent a significant U.S. security issue, with back doors for our economic foes to spy or disrupt at will.
The problems with coal burning and massive pollution were merely shipped to China and India by those wonderful corporations you laud.
Outsourced jobs. Ever try to talk with tech support these past couple decades?

I could go on for pages on why most corporations are happily wallowing in the blood of a dying "free enterprise" in the U.S.. U.S. pharma is only one of many areas where laws pushed by corporations BLOCK competition.

The U.S. over-reacted to the problems of Smoot. Trade barriers alone ARE damaging, but balancing out costs to corporations that offshore, whether by taxation or limited tariffs mitigates the worst of the issue.

There is one exception I will make for corporations - employee owned U.S. corporations, such as Publix, King Arthur Flour, and such. Those corporations have a vested interest in the health of the country, the communities they serve, and those who put the effort in to make them succeed. They are not subject to the common stockholder demand for great profits now, screw the future of the company. I've worked for companies trying to rescue the remains of arbitrage. I got to see the worst of entrenched corporate culture, and I got to see the loss of really good projects.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:28 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is STAGGERINGLY uninformed, and reminiscent of Ayn Rand's worst attempts at glorifying greed.

Most of us who have worked in any higher position in a corporation understand the concept of keeping just this side of the legal definition of "predatory." Moving jobs offshore to avoid labor costs AND having to be responsible to the environment are NOT in any way beneficial to the AMERICAN worker or America in general. Just a few examples:

The current chip shortage because of problems in the Asian foundries are crippling automakers.
Those same chips and shortages represent a significant U.S. security issue, with back doors for our economic foes to spy or disrupt at will.
The problems with coal burning and massive pollution were merely shipped to China and India by those wonderful corporations you laud.

I could go on for pages on why most corporations are happily wallowing in the blood of a dying "free enterprise" in the U.S.. U.S. pharma is only one of many areas where laws pushed by corporations BLOCK competition.

The U.S. over-reacted to the problems of Smoot. Trade barriers alone ARE damaging, but balancing out costs to corporations that offshore, whether by taxation or limited tariffs mitigates the worst of the issue.

There is one exception I will make for corporations - employee owned U.S. corporations, such as Publix, King Arthur Flour, and such. Those corporations have a vested interest in the health of the country, the communities they serve, and those who put the effort in to make them succeed. They are not subject to the common stockholder demand for great profits now, screw the future of the company. I've worked for companies trying to rescue the remains of arbitrage. I got to see the worst of entrenched corporate culture, and I got to see the loss of really good projects.
So amazing. Literally everything you are complaining about is a direct result of big government and the cronyism that is an integral and inevitable part of it. Your complaint is not with corporations or capitalism or free enterprise. It’s with big gubmintism. Cronyism doesn’t exist if there is no political power to co-opt and manipulate. We need a much smaller, much less intrusive MINIMAL government. You should be an economics professor at Harvard. You literally don’t know what you’re talking about, or even what you’re complaining about.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:39 AM

30 posts, read 26,919 times
Quote:
So amazing. Literally everything you are complaining about is a direct result of big government and the cronyism that is an integral and inevitable part of it. Your complaint is not with corporations or capitalism or free enterprise. It’s with big gubmintism. Cronyism doesn’t exist if there is no political power to co-opt and manipulate. We need a much smaller, much less intrusive MINIMAL government. You should be an economics professor at Harvard. You literally don’t know what you’re talking about, or even what you’re complaining about.
Isn't that the truth! perfect assessment imho.

Pass the popcorn.

Blame "The Man" (you know, corporations, billionaires, your boss, your neighbor, the school system etc)

It's clear to any lucid and sober observer of the socio-cultural construct, that some people make generational bad choices, untimely choices that are created and reinforced by "big gubmint". In many cases it's facilitated by political agendas and gubmint policies. Then there is an over-arching problem of lack of personal responsibility cleverly-cloaked in cries of "institutional racism" and "anti-Middle Class".

Solutions to "rural poverty" can be easily found most times in one's own head - moreover, the nuclear family. I'd like to see more bottom-up recognition, not top-down "leadership"...lol...that krap hasn't worked if you have been awake viz history in the last 100 years, especially since 1960 in the rural South and urban northern cities. One glaring example of gubmint "leadership" is the creation of Section 8, and another is the fiasco of The Great Society LOL...yeah buddy, that stuff was reeeeally effective.

Carry on, I need another kup of kofy. TTYL

Old 10-02-2021, 07:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
You must not have paid attention in history class, huh? We tried small government and it failed horribly in just 4 years. Capitalism fails when you do not have competition, monopolies destroy capitalism. We have our current laws for a reason, not just to **** off the average Joe from New Jersey. Before 1890, the US government rarely intruded upon the businesses, by the 1880s monopolies had started forming wiping out all competition and since there was no competition, they could determine the prices, some famous monopolies include Standard Oil, American Tobacco and Andrew Carnegie’s Steel Company. These companies were proving to be more HARMING to Capitalism than fueling Capitalism, so the US government had to pass the 1890 Sherman Act to provide more regulations and allow competition. Also you are literally saying that it’s corporations creating the corruption because they can have political powers, secondly you might need to take economics class, you say you know the know how, but you really don’t; sounds like you haven’t even taken a class much less read an article in the better part of 30 years

Old 10-02-2021, 09:52 AM

30 posts, read 26,919 times
^^sounds more like a personal attack rather than understanding that most are valid observations that Marc is competently setting forth...imho

there are elements of validity in both your observations - economics is dynamic, so is capitalism in a representative republic

the salient point for me (alone) is that INDIVIDUALS and their behavior and choices have been static, without admitting and changing what is at the CRUX of the problem

the problem seems to be more couched in human behavior rather than pure economic models or so-called political solutions

the human behavior hasn't been dynamic at all, that's a very good formula for generational poverty and generational failure

if people are looking for societal and governmental efforts to solve these basic self-determinational issues, we're looking in the wrong "textbook" for the correct and sustainable answers

Old 10-02-2021, 09:56 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:

Spot on.

Old 10-02-2021, 10:06 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
This will be short, and I won't see any response from you. You have shifted the conversation from rural poverty to business and then politics to fit into your agenda. I'm done with you.

Thank you for trying to tell me what my complaint is about! Since we are doing that, your real complaint is not about the poor, but about how no one listens to your talk radio parroting except other parrots.

Economics professors at Harvard TEACH the corporate leaders you seem to like. The only ones who would say they don't know their subject are the ones who failed the class. When you string together words in a sentence, try to have them make sense and further your points rather than destroy them. FWIW, I did subscribe to the Harvard Business Review for a few years. Unless you graduated from Yale, your attempt at denigration of those with intelligence is about as meaningful and erudite as the protestations of a screaming toddler in Walmart.

As for minimal government working in the modern world... Good luck with that. Surge pointed out how it failed in the past (I might add that the history of Duke Energy is an entertaining read as well - where the weak government was enlisted to shoot strikers), but the larger issue is that the power of individuals and corporations to do damage is easily hundreds of times more powerful than in the past. Such is the double edged sword of technology. Gee, the government now regulates the sale of dynamite! How inconvenient to terrorists. Just because my great aunt bought and used it to blast a pesky ledge, I don't suggest it be on the hardware store shelves these days beside the Brillo for purchase by anyone over the age of 18. The world is a different place than even fifty years ago, much less a hundred years ago or more.

True, I am not a fan of government overreach, but I also understand that China has taken big government to a level that is a clear and present danger; one that will not be stopped by a government of good-ol-boys in camo and AR-15s who can't even mount a failed coup without a flag draped shaman and bottled water. Without a strong government, we are a yappy dog staring into the mouth of a crocodile.

Old 10-02-2021, 02:21 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
This will be short, and I won't see any response from you. You have shifted the conversation from rural poverty to business and then politics to fit into your agenda. I'm done with you.

Thank you for trying to tell me what my complaint is about! Since we are doing that, your real complaint is not about the poor, but about how no one listens to your talk radio parroting except other parrots.

Economics professors at Harvard TEACH the corporate leaders you seem to like. The only ones who would say they don't know their subject are the ones who failed the class. When you string together words in a sentence, try to have them make sense and further your points rather than destroy them. FWIW, I did subscribe to the Harvard Business Review for a few years. Unless you graduated from Yale, your attempt at denigration of those with intelligence is about as meaningful and erudite as the protestations of a screaming toddler in Walmart.

As for minimal government working in the modern world... Good luck with that. Surge pointed out how it failed in the past (I might add that the history of Duke Energy is an entertaining read as well - where the weak government was enlisted to shoot strikers), but the larger issue is that the power of individuals and corporations to do damage is easily hundreds of times more powerful than in the past. Such is the double edged sword of technology. Gee, the government now regulates the sale of dynamite! How inconvenient to terrorists. Just because my great aunt bought and used it to blast a pesky ledge, I don't suggest it be on the hardware store shelves these days beside the Brillo for purchase by anyone over the age of 18. The world is a different place than even fifty years ago, much less a hundred years ago or more.

True, I am not a fan of government overreach, but I also understand that China has taken big government to a level that is a clear and present danger; one that will not be stopped by a government of good-ol-boys in camo and AR-15s who can't even mount a failed coup without a flag draped shaman and bottled water. Without a strong government, we are a yappy dog staring into the mouth of a crocodile.
Economics teachers at Harvard and most major universities are vicious statist-collectivists that we used to call Marxists. But today we call them “progressives”, a ludicrous example of calling something the opposite of what it is. But that’s fine because in today’s topsy turvy where one is two and black is white and men are women, what the hey!

As far as minimal government and capitalism? It’s never been tried. America has always been a very mixed economy, with levers always in place for cronyists to use political force to achieve by influence and corruption what they couldn’t by competition and achievement.

What we need is laissez-faire capitalism and separation of economy and state. We need monopolies to be IGNORED because they are the result of excellence and innovation and dominance over inferior competitors. Monopolies are GOOD, not BAD. They get where they are by GIVING US WHAT WE WANT AND NEED.

As far as China, we should be destroying them economically like we have in the past. Why isn’t that happening? Because they discovered that capitalism is essentially good while our effete ivory tower academics desperately try to teach us that it is bad. They introduce markets while we destroy them. Which country becomes the state of the art going forward? Not us.

Poor people in Alabama? How could they be otherwise in a country that is now a putrid pastiche of state overreach and collectivist mediocrity? Where crappy choices and bad behavior are rewarded with entitlements and redistributive theft. To no good end, because the crap behavior persists and community decay continues and and the cancer of collectivism continues to destroy us from within. We absolutely deserve it. The consent of the damned in its fullest glory.

Old 10-02-2021, 02:54 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
Quote:
Corporations shouldn’t pay any taxes. They provide goods, services, and jobs. That’s enough of a benefit to not be oppressed by taxation.
This is one of the worst and most foolish comments I have ever read on this forum. This is way this situation of the major corporations taking over and controlling will only get worse!!

Last edited by Beliciano; 10-02-2021 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama