Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2021, 06:38 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times

Advertisements

I’m not certain that the booster shot was fully approved or recommended last week when I went to our local CVS to pick up a Rx but they offered it to me. Ok, the first two shots didn’t cause any severe issues other then a 24 hour case of “blah”.

Then, they offered me the flu shot. One in each arm. This time, the “blahs” lasted almost two days. I’m a side sleeper. That didn’t work out so well.

By the way - get the shot, don’t get the shot. Your call. None of my business. If I feel at risk, I’ll do what it takes to protect myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 02:24 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Thanks once again minivandriver for another eloquent post. Here I was almost to the point I had myself talked into getting vaccinated now that the pfizer vaccine has been granted full approval. Although I don't need to get vaccinated because I had the actual virus well over a year ago and have been exposed multiple times and had very very mild symptoms just like those who have actually been vaccinated also experience, I had almost convinced myself to go ahead and get vaccinated just to do it. I even just had an antibodies test done two days ago and it came back positive for antibodies so I am good but I was still considering getting vaccinated.......until I read your post. Your post is laden with name calling, insults and well basically just plain self righteousness. Now I am pissed off and scratched the idea of getting vaccinated again. So thanks. Who knows how many others you pissed off again but won't actually post saying because they don't want to bicker about it.

You keep posting about science and the facts and all that. The funny thing is what science tells us from past experience is we do not have a long enough time span of data to tell us much about the vaccines. All we really know at this point is short term they are pretty effective at preventing severe cases of Covid and don't have a high rate of severe side effects. What we don't know is what happens in two or three years. What we also know is there are concerns over some potential side effects and one of those were just leaked the past weekend. Are major side effects likely, at this point it appears unlikely but that could change. So some of us are still on the fence and your posts knock us right back off the fence. You may want to consider that since you obviously want everyone to get vaccinated.
A friend's 50ish sister had the virus last year. She recovered. Like you, she didn't receive the vaccine since she was under the impression that resultant antibodies would protect her. She died this past Sunday from COVID-19.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:24 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I’m not certain that the booster shot was fully approved or recommended last week when I went to our local CVS to pick up a Rx but they offered it to me. Ok, the first two shots didn’t cause any severe issues other then a 24 hour case of “blah”.

Then, they offered me the flu shot. One in each arm. This time, the “blahs” lasted almost two days. I’m a side sleeper. That didn’t work out so well.

By the way - get the shot, don’t get the shot. Your call. None of my business. If I feel at risk, I’ll do what it takes to protect myself.
Did you just say you've already gotten the booster? Thought it didn't start until next month.

Gotta wonder if there'll be a rush like there was when the vaccine was first made public back in January. It took me until late February to be able to schedule the first shot, and I'm an old guy so was somewhat high on the pecking order.

Supposedly I should get the booster in November (just in time to be sick for Thanksgiving, although the first two didn' tmake me sick at all).

Old 08-26-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
A friend's 50ish sister had the virus last year. She recovered. Like you, she didn't receive the vaccine since she was under the impression that resultant antibodies would protect her. She died this past Sunday from COVID-19.
It doesn't pay to be "under the impression" that you're safe. You need to be checked by a competent professional to see how the antibodies are. But a wise person would just go ahead and get the vaccination, and at the very least be safer (though perhaps not totally untouchable, which is exactly what they tell you - it's only 94% or so). A wise person would also wear a mask when in crowded situations - it'll help a lot more than it hurts for most people.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Thanks once again minivandriver for another eloquent post. Here I was almost to the point I had myself talked into getting vaccinated now that the pfizer vaccine has been granted full approval. Although I don't need to get vaccinated because I had the actual virus well over a year ago and have been exposed multiple times and had very very mild symptoms just like those who have actually been vaccinated also experience, I had almost convinced myself to go ahead and get vaccinated just to do it. I even just had an antibodies test done two days ago and it came back positive for antibodies so I am good but I was still considering getting vaccinated.......until I read your post. Your post is laden with name calling, insults and well basically just plain self righteousness. Now I am pissed off and scratched the idea of getting vaccinated again. So thanks. Who knows how many others you pissed off again but won't actually post saying because they don't want to bicker about it.

You keep posting about science and the facts and all that. The funny thing is what science tells us from past experience is we do not have a long enough time span of data to tell us much about the vaccines. All we really know at this point is short term they are pretty effective at preventing severe cases of Covid and don't have a high rate of severe side effects. What we don't know is what happens in two or three years. What we also know is there are concerns over some potential side effects and one of those were just leaked the past weekend. Are major side effects likely, at this point it appears unlikely but that could change. So some of us are still on the fence and your posts knock us right back off the fence. You may want to consider that since you obviously want everyone to get vaccinated.
It's just me, but I don't think I'd change my mind on personal safety matters just because some dude ticked me off by name-calling on a forum.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:26 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It doesn't pay to be "under the impression" that you're safe. You need to be checked by a competent professional to see how the antibodies are. But a wise person would just go ahead and get the vaccination, and at the very least be safer (though perhaps not totally untouchable, which is exactly what they tell you - it's only 94% or so). A wise person would also wear a mask when in crowded situations - it'll help a lot more than it hurts for most people.
Wearing a mask in crowded situations implies that the wearer poses a risk to those in the crowd. Is that your message? If so, then prisons would be covid free since strict 100% mask mandates.

The partial effectiveness of the cobbled covid countermeasures aren’t working with enough consistency to be mandated.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:35 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Wearing a mask in crowded situations implies that the wearer poses a risk to those in the crowd. Is that your message? If so, then prisons would be covid free since strict 100% mask mandates.

The partial effectiveness of the cobbled covid countermeasures aren’t working with enough consistency to be mandated.
I think that the message would be more that we should all be taking any measures that we can to limit potential exposure to the virus.

How you choose to perceive someone wearing a mask is on you, but that doesn't mean everyone shares your viewpoint.

The goal is to try everything that we can with what little information we have today to thwart the virus. Nothing is going to be completely effective, but even if it's marginally effective that's better than doing nothing at all.

The world is trying to adapt to something that we cannot see, taste, smell, feel, or hear and create tools that we've never had before faster than the virus can mutate to beat our adaptations. Sure, you may survive the first round but what's to say that the next variant won't be stronger and that your second or third round of the virus will be as successful? Fighting it first hand or directly dealing with the aftermath will often change your viewpoint on it.

We've got to keep open minds to any possible solutions instead of pushing back against everything for the sake of just being able to say that you don't want to comply.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:23 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The goal is to try everything that we can with what little information we have today to thwart the virus.
Who agreed to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The world is trying to adapt to something that we cannot see, taste, smell, feel, or hear and create tools that we've never had before faster than the virus can mutate to beat our adaptations. Sure, you may survive the first round but what's to say that the next variant won't be stronger and that your second or third round of the virus will be as successful? Fighting it first hand or directly dealing with the aftermath will often change your viewpoint on it.

We've got to keep open minds to any possible solutions instead of pushing back against everything for the sake of just being able to say that you don't want to comply.
You're acting like humanity has never dealt with illnesses before.

In more sensible times, we were actually reconciled to the reality of our own mortality and viruses ran their course and dissipated without overturning centuries-old societal norms and destroying legally-enshrined individual freedoms.

Now, we have this superstitious idea that we can play God and halt a virus no matter the collateral damage we wreak along the way.

I guess it just serves as proof that humans are religious by nature. Even in a post-religious age such as this one, we will find something to cling to.

Plexiglass Nation

Old 08-27-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Bingo

Old 08-27-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Who agreed to that?

You're acting like humanity has never dealt with illnesses before.

In more sensible times, we were actually reconciled to the reality of our own mortality and viruses ran their course and dissipated without overturning centuries-old societal norms and destroying legally-enshrined individual freedoms.

Now, we have this superstitious idea that we can play God and halt a virus no matter the collateral damage we wreak along the way.

I guess it just serves as proof that humans are religious by nature. Even in a post-religious age such as this one, we will find something to cling to.

Plexiglass Nation
No one sensible thinks that they are playing God. Further, what collateral damage is being wreaked along the way to eradicating the virus? And, no, the past was not a more sensible time where we let viruses run their courses - they were times where we did not have the science or ability to eradicate a virus. That has nothing to do with sensibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama