Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:59 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,748,988 times

Advertisements

I am able to see the log of all bans, so any abuse of banning powers will be detected and reversed. As was mentioned, we do discuss borderline cases and we do not ban for unintentional rules violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 08:13 AM

311 posts, read 618,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
The immediate ban is mostly for obvious spammers. If we are to ban a regular member, we usually issue warnings and infractions first. We also often discuss it, even though every mod is capable of banning a poster on their own. We also only ban people who consistently violate the forum rules.
I just saw that another member (we usually agree on many issues) has been banned. I realize that the offending post may be deleted before the other members read it, but having been on the receiving end of "deleted post" a few times, I guess my turn will come soon.
As far as violating the forum rules consistently....does that mean that the banned person has numerous deletions? I guess we can't question the powers that be since they have the final say.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,113,296 times
I don't see why this topic keeps being brought up. I've never seen a post be deleted that didn't warrant it (and I've had a few deleted myself), and I've never seen anyone become restricted or banned who didn't bring it on to themselves. Be respectful when posting, remember that this website was not designed to be your personal soapbox, and if you are responding to a thread, try to stick with its original intent. Why is this so hard?

Old 01-06-2007, 10:29 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,275,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
As far as violating the forum rules consistently....does that mean that the banned person has numerous deletions? I guess we can't question the powers that be since they have the final say.
The number of deleted posts is in no direct correlation with being banned. You may have a post deleted for various reasons. It may be a response to someone who requested their thread be put down, you may have put it in the wrong forum or go too far off topic, etc. Post deletion is not a form of punishment here.

On the other hand, if you are consistently given infractions and you still refuse to acknowledge the rules, this may be an entirely different subject. However, there are plenty of people still here with a handful of infractions and doing great. It's not that easy to get banned from here unless you're a spammer or insist on insulting people.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM

51 posts, read 284,816 times
I agree...I got cut once for pushing the envelope a little bit but once I understood the rules more thoroughly I havent had any trouble since. I enjoy reading the posts here and I hope this forum continues to grow into a great community for all

Old 01-09-2007, 06:59 PM

266 posts, read 1,196,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
kitty71, this sounds like a forum software bug. Please let me know who it is.
Sorry, I only just got this message today. I hesitate to go back a week or two and point the finger in case I'm wrong, but if I see it again I will let you know.

Thanks.

PS - is someone allowed to subtract points from your reputation citing "ignorance in action" simply because they didn't share my viewpoint? seems a little subjective to me - or is it all just an opinion thing?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,995,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
Sorry, I only just got this message today. I hesitate to go back a week or two and point the finger in case I'm wrong, but if I see it again I will let you know.

Thanks.

PS - is someone allowed to subtract points from your reputation citing "ignorance in action" simply because they didn't share my viewpoint? seems a little subjective to me - or is it all just an opinion thing?
I know I sound like a broken record, but either markablue or yac will remove a negative reputation if it's punitive like as you describe....and better yet...take away from the reputation of the person who abused it! I've had a few removed that way...on the other hand..I deserved a few others..... and just accepted that's the price for my Mars being in Leo

Old 01-11-2007, 01:22 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I'd love to know why Bamboosmom was banned. Did she snap? Aw, I'm dying to know!
Me toooooooooo Muggy!!!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,597,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
How long does one stay banned? The reason I ask is I was having a great discussion with 2 members and for some unkown reason they were both banned, I think the same day. Can a ban be lifted? I really don't agree with one of the members, but it was fun to disagree. Although I don't know why she was banned, she never disrespected anyone, she just stated her twisted views, and I think she's entitled to. Moderators??
Maybe their post's kept getting deleted and they questioned the reason. Forums are not really a means of The First Amendment rights, the ground rules are sometimes a little too strict as is the moderating here.

Last edited by blauskies; 01-11-2007 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-14-2007, 11:07 AM

148 posts, read 1,229,712 times
Default The Dufferz banned?

Does anybody know what caused this? He was always seemed polite and helpful in the WA forum. It seems odd that a reputable member with so many posts would just be banned out of the blue. Maybe I missed something; that's why I'm asking. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum