Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:31 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,017,116 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

There's a friend of mine who's IP address was permanently banned for no apparent reason. This person has not had any recent infractions or anything, however, he came on the other morning to see this message:

Quote:
City-Data Forum Message
Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here
There are at least a couple of moderators that know about the situation, however, no one has been able to give us a fix for the situation. We've heard that there are times when someone's IP address is banned and it carries over to someone else. I don't know if this is the case or not...but is there anyway to fix this? Or is this person just out of luck and no longer able to come on here because of it?

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,541,077 times
I too have dm'd mods and a senior mod about this poster..One even told me that his record was clean..He can't get in touch himself. He is a good poster and misses being on..

Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,142,524 times
I think something like this just recently happened, and markablue and/or the Administrator cleared it up.

Hope it gets resolved.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,456,629 times
Why don't they click "here" and contact admin about it? Have you DMd Marka or Yac about it?

Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,481,388 times
Yes, I'm wondering the same thing that JCO is wondering. It has happened that someone innocent got caught in the crossfire, but it's very easily fixed if he contacts the Administrator and states his case. Why hasn't he done that?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:27 PM

Yes, it's all been done...but nobody is responding with anything other than the fact that his account seems clear and everything "looks fine". There have been at least 3 mods notified about this, and no one seems to have an answer as what to do about it. I don't want to name the mods, as I don't want to cause further problems, but the appropriate chain has been followed. I am pretty sure he did "click here" and went to the admin, but not 100% positive.
Should I put the person's Screen Name here? Or should I dm one of you to check it out? I would really like to get this resolved for the person...we miss him!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 PM

3,321 posts, read 9,202,777 times
Quote:
It has happened that someone innocent got caught in the crossfire, but it's very easily fixed if he contacts the Administrator and states his case. Why hasn't he done that?
Sometimes i's NOT so easy for the INNOCENT to contact the owner. I know cause I have been in that position before.

I am a member of a security forum and had a static IP which was no big deal...then my husband and I downgraded to a dynamic IP and I couldn't get on that forum. Turns out the dynamic IP in my city had been blacklisted. I hadn't been caught sooner because I had been on a static IP. I could NOT even post as a guest on the guest forum to let them know I was having issues.

I had to get a friend to post for me similar to what the OP has done here and I also contacted another admin on one of her other forums letting her know what the problem was. She had not blacklisted the same set of IP's thankfully. It still took two days to sort everything out and I had to let them know my IP address.

To the OP, tell your friend to go to WhatIsMyIP.com and then let the admin/senior mods know so they can check that particular IP Address. Liz

Last edited by southernlady5464; 10-07-2007 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: I can't type...and it's late... :) Liz

Old 10-07-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
To the OP, tell your friend to go to WhatIsMyIP.com and then let the admin/senior mods know so they can check that particular IP Address. Liz
I appreciate the information. I'm not really sure if he was able to contact the admin or not. I know at least a couple of us has went to the mods, but....

Can one of the mods or the admin dm me and let me know how to proceed with this? Is it possible to give someone his IP address and take care of this?

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,276,430 times
We have all been notified of the problem, yes, but we were unable to find anything wrong with this IP.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
We have all been notified of the problem, yes, but we were unable to find anything wrong with this IP.
Is there a way to check his IP and try resetting something or????
There must be a fix for it. It clearly says that his ip was banned by admin. I'm not a total tech junky, but isn't there a way to reset something or??? Or is he just out of luck?

Thanks for the reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum