Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we disable negative reputation points?
Yes 79 73.15%
No 29 26.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,485,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I don't see how getting rid of negative rep is going to make any more work for moderators when they have to field complaints about unwarranted negative rep as it is.

-edit: Unbelievable. As I was typing this I get a negative rep for no reason at all, unsigned of course.
I have been there! It sucks. Sorry, jfre81. I think some people don't understand context. Or don't want to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Totally disabled is best but if not, at least all negatives should require a signature!
Boy do I agree, this is what I said in my thread on this very subject a few months back.

Negative reps just lets the cowards do what they want. Someone who has no regard for the rules as they stand isn't going to care who they give a negative rep to on this forum, due to the anonymity factor.

I voted to get rid of 'em.

Thanks for asking us!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,408,279 times
Hey, that's right...you don't see the people that give negatives saying anything here---I have ask what another poster asked---why is that??? And why don't they sign their name to the negative rep???

Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,013,650 times
Default each post has it's own merit. :)

It would be nice to have identity given neg or pos. Take ownership if you rate a post. However discontinuing the neg rep would be a good idea and allow the moderators to monitor the “off the edge” posts with neg rep warnings.

And also on this topic, isn’t it going just a little too far with the rep system both pos and neg being posted for all to view? Seems like the focus should be on the content of the post only, but too many people get involved with this. Maybe hide the rep totals from view and people can weigh the value of each post on it’s own merit.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,160,936 times
I thought about posting something about doing away with the neg rep system a log time ago, but I didn't post it because I just knew some coward would neg rep me if I did, then I'd have to schlep over to the mods to have it removed.

Absolutely, get rid of the neg rep system. These mods are pretty sharp people and if they see something not quite right, they can take care of it and nobody has to get into fights over it. I am on a boatload of forums and NONE of them have a positive/negative rep system. The only reason a system like this would be needed is if someone were buying or selling and since we are not, we really don't need this kind of a system. but the positives are nice to have, just because.

Hey - have you guys noticed that the people who are in favor of neg repping haven't chimed in on this discussion? I suppose that has something to do with the fact that they can't remain anonymous if they post here???

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 02-20-2008 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Had to add the last paragraph

Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hey - have you guys noticed that the people who are in favor of neg repping haven't chimed in on this discussion? I suppose that has something to do with the fact that they can't remain anonymous if they post here???
I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. You're right. Those who support the ability to give a negative rep have not defended their positions at all.

I also find interesting that this decision might be made based on the votes of about 100 people - out of some 250,000 + members.

Well, like they say, silence is consent. Everyone had a chance to offer an opinion. I think it's pretty cool that we are asked our opinions on issues like these. It's another example of why City-Data is clearly heads-and-shoulders above most other forums.

Charley

Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,108,886 times
For those who think it's ok to keep the negative rep option but with the stipulation that the giver sign their name:

How many of you after getting a negative rep, would turn right around and negative rep that person back?

Many would have the immediate emotional reaction to say, "that $%&*@!!, they downgraded my rep, I'll downgrade theirs."

So what happens, if not immediately, they start to scrutinize that person's future posts in order to call them out on a post that in their opinion "doesn't contribute anything." That's a specified and valid reason to give a negative rep, correct?

Is that a good ambiance to have on this forum? I'm not so sure.

I reiterate:

The T.O.S. states the following reasons for giving a negative rep:
  • posts that are spammy
  • posts that are off-topic
  • posts that are flaming in nature
  • posts that don't contibute anything

Again, is it healthy for the forum for one member to determine if another member's post does or doesn't "contribute anything?"

Right now, I could have dozens of members thinking to themselves that THIS post "doesn't contribute anything." I could legitimately, according to the Terms of Service of this forum, receive dozens of negative reps.

Do I have a leg to stand on? Not really because how can we tell if all of you giving me a negative rep for this post are really feeling that it "doesn't contribute anything?"

You may really and truly feel that it doesn't contribute anything and therefore, legitimately deserves a negative rep.

The first three reasons for giving a negative rep are more-or-less covered in the instructions for reporting a post to a moderator by using the "Report Post" feature. Isn't there a redundancy here?

For the second time in this thread, I rest my case.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,192,480 times
scirocco22 makes a good case for the elimination of the negative reputation system.

He also makes a terrific case for using the negative reputation system judiciously and anonymously. Both the Administrator and Senior Moderators have presented this argument in favour of anonymity on many occasions.

It may appear at first glance as an ignoble way to handle a negative reputation but seen in the light of potential retaliation it makes perfect sense (to me).

Thanks, rocco for laying it out so clearly. (No, negative reputation points from me. ).

Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,308,954 times
Either remove the negative comments OR identify the people who give them because ...

I'd really like to know the name of the coward who gave me a negative rep today ... especially since it's obvious from their comments that they didn't bother to fully read the post they were criticizing.

What was my alleged crime? Posting the same data more than once .... which I did for reader convenience. But I also posted a bunch of new information which the coward either didn't bother to read or, they refused to acknowledge.

I don't see how that's spam, off topic, flaming anybody or even inappropriate so ... obviously they just did it for spite.

Last edited by sheri257; 02-20-2008 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,427,416 times
Just a thought, but would it be possible if someone was giving a neg rep, they had to identify themself??

Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,108,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Either remove negative comments OR identify the people who give them because ...

I'd really like to know the name of the coward who gave me negative rep today ... especially since it's obvious from their comments that they didn't bother to fully read the post they were criticizing.

What was my alleged crime? Posting the same data more than once .... which I did for reader convenience. But I also posted a bunch of new information which the coward refused to acknowledge.

I don't see how that's spam, off topic or even, flaming anybody or even inappropriate so ... obviously they just did it for spite.

Your "crime?" ...again, remember, a legitimate reason for giving a negative rep is if another member thinks that your post "doesn't contribute anything."

If it "doesn't contribute anything," it legitimately "deserves" a negative rep according to the T.O.S.

That's why I'd like to see it disabled, sheri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Just a thought, but would it be possible if someone was giving a neg rep, they had to identify themself??
Go back to my previous post, trudeyrose, and after reading it, let me know if you still feel that the negative rep feature is still a good idea if only we require the person giving the negative rep identify themself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum