Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: remove it?
yes 9 13.24%
no 59 86.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 PM

279 posts, read 783,208 times

Advertisements

if we are disabling neg rep points, then whats the point of even having it?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,052,992 times
Please do not remove the rep system. Speaking for myself, having rep points suggests to newer members that I've been around for a while and am viewed by my peers as someone with a good reputation. That gives me an air of credibility when I post information or suggestions that are designed to help someone in need. I feel that I've earned that reputation and to have it stripped away is not something that I would view as a positive development.

It also provides feedback to me that my posts, messages, suggestions and answers to the games are recognized and appreciated by others. I find that feedback to be valuable.

I hope you will take these thoughts into consideration as you make this decision. Thank you.

Charley

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,674,407 times
I feel the reputation system needs to stay. If a person spends a lot of time on a post, and someone feels it is a good post, then they should be repped. How will new people know who they can go to for advice that is good if not with the rating system.

I know many of you will not agree with this and say that a lot of us got our rep from games and such. While that is true to a degree, we also have a lot of posts that were repped for a good post and those reps are well deserved.

It does make one wonder why some think the positive reps should be disabled. I really can't think of a reason to do so.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,125,989 times
What surprises me is the fact that there are 14 votes so far and only 3 have made statements.
There is a good reason for having a positive rep system and that is to give a pat on the back to those who help others, offer useful information, give tips on "how to", and generally add to the discussions in the many Forums, sub forums and discussion threads.

Now I ask you, The OP, how did you vote ...and what is your reason for thinking it should be disabled? In the final analysis it is up to The Administration, and any poll like this is indeed only for discussion.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,052,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
What surprises me is the fact that there are 10 votes so far and only I have made a statement
There is a good reason for having a positive rep system and that is to give a pat on the back to those who help others, offer useful information, give tips on "how to", and generally add to the discussions in the many Forums, sub forums and discussion threads.

Now I ask you, The OP, how did you vote
OOOPS. Uncle Batz. Where are your glasses

A few of us have made statements. You can tell who voted by clicking on the vote totals. But let's all be nice. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Let's just hope that the final decision is right for the greater good.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,267,399 times
I have to say, It's nice to have a good reputation. It does give you the chance also to see how credible a person is, and if they have been helpful. It singles out those that are here only to get answers instead of giving them.. I don't like negative reps. Someone gave me 1 and I almost cried. I had no idea what I even did to offend this person, I went back and read my post and they just tore into me!! If you decide to keep negative posts, at least open it up so we can defend ourselves and post a comment back, or maybe clarify something that was misinterpreted..

Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,183,947 times
I agree with Uncle Batz and Charley....City Data needs to keep the reputation system. It was a good thing to remove the Negative Reputation point button because there are people who have taken advantage of this system because they disagreed with a remark or just plain didn't like the poster. However, in order for the newbies to learn more about City Data and its longtime posters, they need to understand what reputation means (and there are plenty of threads regarding this subject).

Mods - please do not remove the Reputation System.

Thank you.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:06 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,125,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
OOOPS. Uncle Batz. Where are your glasses

A few of us have made statements. You can tell who voted by clicking on the vote totals. But let's all be nice. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Let's just hope that the final decision is right for the greater good.

LOL...I saw that after I posted and corrected it...lol...and I think I was nice...???!!! and why can you tell who voted how in some polls but not in others?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,336,358 times
I think the reps are a good way to let posters know that you appreciate their posts. It's like getting an "A" on your report card. Nothing wrong with letting others how much you appreciate them! I would like to keep the rep system we have now.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
The "rep points" are a little bit of recognition for contributing. It helps to keep members active. As this forum provides a lot of facts and not just random chat it's nice to get a little positive feedback as well as touch base with other frequent posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.