Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM

675 posts, read 645,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

See?

I think that the emoticons - , get the negativity across adequately when one wishes to convey their disapproval.
They get that "I just got my wisdoms taken out" vibe across.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Even if there had been no prior experience with negative reputation points here on City-Data, a moment's reflection about the way people act and react would show what they would lead to. Too many people take everything personally. That is, they lack the objectivity and rationality to reason things out logically. If someone criticizes their stance on something, they lash out, and negative reps would be one way to do that. Therefore, many excellent analytical posts would receive negative reps because someone got offended by being contradicted; the actual merits of the post from an objective point of view mean nothing. And then their friends pile on!

Example: Once I picked apart someone's logic and for my trouble was called an ego-maniac. That name-calling had nothing to do with my post, which had no ego-maniacal elements to it - it was purely analytical complete with examples; the person was just irritated and lashed out. I would have gotten negative reps for a good, logical, incisive post.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Since I can't give negative rep to people, here's what I do in lieu of it:

I positive rep everyone in that thread except the target poster.

Some of my posts where I've been attacked from left and right are also the same posts that have contributed most to my reps. Love how this system works!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
There's so much negativity and sarcasm on many threads that it turns me off and I go elsewhere!
Some people have nothing nice to say so they get attention from being a jerk.
I think if you bring it back it will deter some people from being wiseguys.

What do ya think?
No way would I support "negative rep"; I've seen this on other forums, and it always seems to degenerate into a battle between the more simplistic on either side of a controversial issue .. does a lot more harm than good.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
The closest version to negative rep we have now is people leaving anonymous messages via the reputation post. Sometimes they will say something rude or nasty because they know it's anonymous. Doesn't bother me too much, it only adds to my points.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The closest version to negative rep we have now is people leaving anonymous messages via the reputation post. Sometimes they will say something rude or nasty because they know it's anonymous. Doesn't bother me too much, it only adds to my points.
It may be anonymous to you, but any Moderator can see the source of any rep message. If you get a rude rep comment, please, please, please send a DM to any Mod to check into it. We can and do alter the message to a more innocuous one, and in cases where the rep message is a violation of the Terms of Service, we can issue an infraction to the culprit.

To quote the Terms of Service:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. ... Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Mods don't have time (or inclination) to go around reading random members' rep comments. We don't go looking at them unless we are alerted to a problem. So please, people, let us know if you receive a rude or offensive rep comment.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Forget the negative rep thing.

Besides, most of us prefer to give out positive reps--- even to the well known jackasses--if they are half way making sense and are making good points in a post.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
It would certainly set the tone for conversation if the one you are talking to has 10 black stars..

Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
If someone doesn’t like a post – “why give a negative rep”? Simply ignore them and move on. If you’re in a room full of people and someone said something you didn’t like what are you going to do – give them a negative comment? Just find something more positive and move on in life, this forum shouldn’t bring out the negative issues, but instead provide positive thoughts and posts. Look for the positive in life and forget about those who have nothing good to say or comment on.

Now excuse me I have to kick the cat, throw the dog out of the house, and yell at my neighbor for making so much noise this afternoon...................And stay off my lawn you kids….. ...

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
An alternative method of giving a sort of equivalent of negative rep is to answer the post on the open forum, pointing out in what ways it is illogical, or provocative just to be provocative, etc. That is not at all the same as a personal attack because it is just an analysis of what was written.

In one sense it would be nice for the known jackasses to come with their own label, but I think it's clear that the disadvantages of that system outweigh the advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum