Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM

43,640 posts, read 77,936,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
But it is the problems that create the work. if you want non productive no laudable contribution like the the rep feature as a whole?
Most people enjoy the reputation feature as it is. People come to CD, make friends, exchange ideas, pat each other on the back, etc.

If you check out your reputation list under "Settings," you can see which posts received a reputation chit. And, which posts received multiple chits. This feedback has value, and lets the poster know which posts were most appreciated.
Lack of rep chits for a post can be construed to indicate that less appreciation is offered. Negative by passive implication? Works for me without trashing the place up.

I have collected 5 positive reputation chits so far in this thread. Makes me believe that there are people who agree with me on the point. If I had none, I would not need negative reputation to believe that fewer people agreed with me. I could infer that from the lack of reputation given.

When the Administrator took a poll, the results were 79-29 in favor of disabling negative reputation. And many of those who voted were moderators at the time. Good mods, too.

The poll:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...on-points.html

Nothing has changed to make legitimizing trashing people a good idea.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,079,612 times
I have to disagree as well. Negative reputation is not the way to go, because people who like to "troll" or inflame others would just add to your negative reputation points just to "troll" you.

Trolls, or people with very few interesting or good ideas are usually noticed by their lack of rep points, especially if their number of posts is much higher.

Positive reputation is good, and people will only give it if well deserved. Negative reputation can and would be abused.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 AM

27,955 posts, read 40,042,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I have to disagree as well. Negative reputation is not the way to go, because people who like to "troll" or inflame others would just add to your negative reputation points just to "troll" you.

Trolls, or people with very few interesting or good ideas are usually noticed by their lack of rep points, especially if their number of posts is much higher.

Positive reputation is good, and people will only give it if well deserved. Negative reputation can and would be abused.
Usually a troll is found out and generally receive the reputation for trolling in that they may work themselves into the negative. It is a way to keep it somewhat honest.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,761,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If the feature were actually useful at convincing members to change their posting behavior and not make certain posts, it would make sense. I'm not convinced that it does.
Agreed.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM

27,955 posts, read 40,042,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Agreed.
Concur.

After seeing the arrogance smugness of some here, its time to log off.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,134,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Except that some people leave a nasty little message in a rep, which amounts to a personal attack. This requires a senior moderator to look into and address.
This is rare ... Out of my thousands of rep points, only two or three reppers made nasty comments ... Hardly a reason to abolish the rep system.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,559,629 times
Negative rep points mean nothing to people who troll the site and enjoy creating trouble.

They'd heap those out quite plentifully, just to upset the people who enjoy the site while following the TOS.

And, we don't get too many complaints about negative comments left on rep points, not compared to, say, the number of reports we get of mischief-makers attempting to create discord on the board itself.

I can't see the value of negative reps except a way for people to vent their frustration at people they don't like.

And to them I say: Utilize the Ignore feature, already. Stop obsessing over people who annoy you.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM

37,887 posts, read 41,362,803 times
I wouldn't mind if reps were done away with altogether. Like friending someone, I'm not seeing the point.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,551,497 times
^^Agreed! NPR and my daily paper do reps by post, but not cumulatively. I like that, too. NPR's is especially nice, IMO, they show negative and positive points. The daily paper just does it mathmatically, e.g. if you get 10 positives and 1 negative, the rep for the post is 9.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,559,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Agreed! NPR and my daily paper do reps by post, but not cumulatively. I like that, too. NPR's is especially nice, IMO, they show negative and positive points. The daily paper just does it mathmatically, e.g. if you get 10 positives and 1 negative, the rep for the post is 9.
I like those systems, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum