Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 06:12 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I’m a yankee but am intimately familiar with Georgia and Virginia. I’ve found the Upper South to be more sympathetic to the Deep South than vice versa.

Native Georgians I’ve met don’t even consider Virginia to be the South.

Native Virginians consider themselves to be apart of a common region with GA and the rest of the Deep South.
Lot of native Georgians don’t consider Atlanta the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 07:18 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Very believable. I keep telling my friends and family in the South about VA is Southern as well and they still think it’s Northeastern.
The unwritten rule is anything 50 miles north of you is the North. My mema swore South Hill Virginia was the north, my Southside Virginia uncle thought Fredericksburg was north, a Georgia neighbor thought Raleigh was too close to the North for her comfort, etc. We can be terribly parochial and policing of what defines the South in ways really alien to most other regions. The common definition is we ourselves feel wholly Southern, and the north starts some place over yonder.

One of the hallmarks for Southerness is family roots and traditions. If you move to NC and only see your 10-mile radius around Cary, you might feel comfortable saying it’s not Southern. But I grew up with my grandad taking me to fishing holes and country stores, and listening to my dad talk about all the dirt race tracks he was dragged to long before NASCAR was a thing, and my mom remembering all the times she had to help her grandma make okra and fried chicken and everything else for homecomings. So while I might live in the same small footprint as the transplant in Cary, I’m seeing things much deeper than they are. But also the Southern traits are still there if you know where to look (Mule Days is coming to Benson at the end of the month).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.