Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,845 times

Advertisements

Big Cats huh ! .. hehe women
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I keep reading contrasting descriptions of ragdolls. Some say they are great family pets - gentle and affectionate. Yet my son and his girlfriend have a gorgeous 18 pound ragdoll that can be evil. I stay away from him when he's annoyed! Is this cat an anomaly?
I was never a cat person (or a dog person). My wife insisted we get a rag doll and I finally relented.

I fell in love with this cat. She has the good traits of a dog and the good traits of a cat. She heels. She follows me around from room to room (not an annoyance). She doesn't eat wires. She doesn't scratch furniture. She is very affectionate. She doesn't bite. She doesn't scratch when playing (keeps her claws in).

Ok one downside... rag dolls either have a deathwish or secretly wish to kill their owners. They do what some people call the "rag doll flop." Do some research in case you are curious, but they like to flop on the floor behind you... or sometimes on the stairs. You will find yourself checking behind you when cooking in the kitchen a lot.

I will say that it did take a little "training" to get her to not scratch furniture and not "yowl" when she was lonely. We don't let her in the bedroom. But she caught on awfully quick.

This cat is big. Bigger than any other cat I've seen. And she is isn't even done growing. I think she is 12 pounds (big for a female, males are 15+).

We liked this breed so much that when my wife started working we got a second one so the first wouldn't be lonely. It only took about 2-3 days for them to go from hissing at each other to being best of pals.

Any good breeder will tell you that this cat cannot be let outside. These cats have no defensive instinct. So, if you are thinking of adopting/buying one, be prepared to keep the cat inside.

I attached a picture. Mind you, the big one looks pretty depressed. Probably because she was an only child till now :P
Attached Thumbnails
Big Cats? Which one is the biggest?-p1010092.jpg  

Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Just as a FYI, HCM is not only a Ragdoll problem, but the Breeders of Ragdolls in CFA are huge in supporting the research to help curb this problem. Many cats are effected by this and it is said to be an inherited gene...so yes, a reputable breeder will have tests run to make sure this is not passed on to future litters.
Veterinary Topics: Feline Heart Diseases--Cardiomyopathy

PS...Sorry, I just realized I posted this to the wrong thread! I will repost in the correct thread on Raggies.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,446 times
May I suggest the Norwegian Forest Cat?

We have one and he's a great cat. Not too clingy but is very social. Will sit next to you, up against your leg, instead of on you. Very playful and fun, but not a terror. Extremely smart, knows how to open doors and latches.

Males can grow quite large much like the Maine Coon.

Also, this cat is by far the best hunter I have ever seen. And I have seen many including the Maine Coon!

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5186/jb5m.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhzedan View Post
This, is why I want a Siberian:
I'm not seeing a photo or link?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,555 times
My maine coon is very gentle,loving,very smart... he is my big baby...he is about 25 lbs now and 12 yrs old ,he is very low maintenance only needs a brushing once a week, he lives indoors, but enjoys a few minutes outside now and then! I have 2 other male cats ,they all get along great he watches out for them like their sitter! He eats regular can and dry catfood, nothing too expensive ,i make sure the first ingredient is chicken meal /not corn meal, i also feed him some sliced deli meats once in awhile,basically he would eat almost everything. ..just like a dog would {they are considered a dog in cats clothing} He is the best pet ,i love him!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:41 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
Maine Coons get pretty big. This is my female, and keep in mind that male cats generally get much bigger. Like all breeds, this varies though, there are some small Maine Coons out there too.Mine only weighs 11 lbs and she's slim, I make sure of that. You can still feel her spine.

She's very kind, but doesn't like being petted much. She follows me around and "helps out". Very talkative and requires you answer back. Of course they all have different types of personalities.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 PM

270 posts, read 488,171 times
So, OP, what did you wind up getting???

Emma77, love your pics, my Maine Coon also gives me pillow love...won't get on my lap but has no problem stomping on my hair

One biggish cat that wasn't mentioned was the Bengal...which can vary a lot in size, I know, but my friend has 4, one of whom is huge. Bengals are gorgeous, smart, and inquisitive. Also shorthair, so low maintenance. I know Maine coons are supposed to be low maintenance, but my Chandler is always getting mats in his fur around his back and butt. He hates being combed (brush is ok) and cutting the mats out is torture for both of us haha. And he definitely sheds, just not as badly as my shorthair (but the shorthair has all the hairballs??).

Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
I just remembered. I think Savannah cats are one of the bigger cats, but they seem so difficult to care for as they require raw meat only and lots of exercise.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I just remembered. I think Savannah cats are one of the bigger cats, but they seem so difficult to care for as they require raw meat only and lots of exercise.
I called a couple of Savannah breeders before Jack came. They do seem hard to care for. I think the raw meat is not too big a problem. I had two cats who ate nothing but raw meat and it was manageable. But they did tell me it goes through the Savannah pretty quick and a lot of it. Maybe a Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox would be the thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats