Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

672 posts, read 5,093,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
One thing I thought I'd mention. Be careful if you're looking for a Maine Coon. In my job I've seen a ton of cats labeled 'Maine Coon' just because they're a little bigger than a standard domestic shorthair. Also, if you do decide to get one, research hypertrophic cardiomyopathy first.
Don't you get a piece of paper with their pedigree and a contract? I'm not sure how it works there, but we do here and it's very safe. The breeders are also listed in our national breeding association.
You should do research about the breed you will consider indeed, but they all come with some health condition problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get it, you just have to be aware. I think it's the same thing with dogs.

I'd like to add that Maine Coons are very easy to maintain when it comes to grooming, because they don't have a lot of undercoat. I don't know about their shedding in general, but mine doesn't shed much. I can also guarantee you a great and doglike personality They don't meow much btw, they make this birdlike sound. Mine sometimes sound like it barks when it's happy, so my firends tell me. You should google maine coons and you'll see that they get really big and they come in almost all kinds of colors, they look like a lynx in the face.
Just remember that males do get a lot bigger than the females, as I mentioned earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,724 times
servel/asian leopards are the biggest cats but some places they are illegal. My brother has 4 of them.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhzedan View Post
This, is why I want a Siberian:

Can you imagine having to scoop the litter box after that kitty? That thing's turds must be huge!!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 AM

172 posts, read 535,665 times
My big kitty is part Maine Coon..he's around 21 lbs..huge but not fat..he's the coolest cat I've ever had..he is very dog like..very talkative..very loving..he come and snuggles with me in the mornings before I get up in the morning

I took this pic one saturday morning when dh was really sleeping cuddling the kitty

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/godricsgirl/0307090806_0001-1.jpg?t=1241537331 (broken link)

here's Gina snugglin' with me one moring...I put the sticker on there 'cause me boobicle was showing a little LOL

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/godricsgirl/0322090757-1.jpg?t=1241538252 (broken link)

Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma77 View Post
My big kitty is part Maine Coon..he's around 21 lbs..huge but not fat..he's the coolest cat I've ever had..he is very dog like..very talkative..very loving..he come and snuggles with me in the mornings before I get up in the morning
Aw, how cute! I love that they get big. Mine likes to cuddle in the morning and before I go to bed. They're the best Great photos!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 AM

172 posts, read 535,665 times
thanks! the best is that he thinks he weighs 5 lbs...so of course when he walks all over you...it's right on your bladder

Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma77 View Post
thanks! the best is that he thinks he weighs 5 lbs...so of course when he walks all over you...it's right on your bladder
Haha, so does my girl, even though she's not so heavy yet, I think she's heavy enough to cause me pain early in the morning She also jumps on me if she sees something interesting and I am in the way.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM

52 posts, read 403,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Can you imagine having to scoop the litter box after that kitty? That thing's turds must be huge!!
Haha, after having to use my hand-in-a-bag to pick up after a pretty hefty lab mix, I think I'd be happier scooping after that cat

I can't imagine what it would feel like, though, if he decided to wake you up in the morning by sitting on your chest!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM

177 posts, read 757,559 times
I've owned both a Maine Coon and a Ragdoll, and I would highly recommend either cat. Both breeds are extremely affectionate and well-tempered; they seem to also be very adaptable to other pet family members. Perhaps more so than other cats (or I just got lucky with mine!).

Both of them are pretty easy to groom considering they've got long hair. My Ragdoll is slightly more prone to matting than my Maine Coon was, though.

Another thing to consider is noise... like KatrineA said, Maine Coons tend to be quiet. Ragdolls are VERY talkative. Mine likes to follow me around the house screaming at me for no apparent reason.

But yeah... both breeds are on the bigger side and SUCH good family cats. I'd highly recommend either one of these.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
Not all Ragdolls are talkative...like any other cat..some talk, some do not. I have 3 and only 1 opens her mouth occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats