Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you give canned food (that has been refrigerated) to your cat
I heat up the food in the microwave for a few seconds. 30 42.25%
I serve it straight from the fridge. 41 57.75%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,200 times

Advertisements

If I have leftover canned food that has been refrigerated, I heat it. It helps to release the aromatics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,460 times
The guys eat it cold, surprised me but as soon as I took it out they were sitting at their dishes waiting and eat it as soon as it hits the dish.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Now that the new cats have settled in I mostly haven't heated the food. A few days ago I did it once again but it's starting to seem like little difference. I add a bit of hot water, but I think the variance is in things other than the temp or texture of the food.

With what I'm doing right now, I never have refrigerated leftovers. That's rather handy. Although I'd gladly have leftovers if it got them more calorie intake. I'm still not sure what food to try to switch them to, something calorie dense. (They've been eating Hills c/d because they ate that in the shelter due to at least some suspicion of UTI or perhaps actual crystals a few months ago. Once we're more settled in I think it'll be worth trying to have them eat something that's less filler stuff because it seems likely that they'll be fine as long as it's a wet diet.)

Old 12-23-2013, 05:38 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,881 times
I have two Maine Coon boys (25# and 13#); I put the canned food in a bowl, then add hot water to make a gravy or flavored water. I started doing this to insure Zeke (13#) got plenty of water as he was prone to UTI. I've just continued it as it helps to insure they both get their liquids. I figure it's the least I can do for all they bring into our lives!!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,777 times
Great articles . It reminds me of a posting last week about a new dog/cat food dish.. Its suppose to serve as a dog/cat food bowl -storage container- & can be warmed or micro waved. Sounds perfect for all of us and our pets. Can't wait for .NO MORE extra dishes to wash- or wasting food. Distributor is Quality Line enterprises in Santa Monica, CA. Bowowowow & Meowwww to all.(I think it's coming out next year,...was hoping it'd be in stores by the Holidays) Anyone knows where to purchase it, please post. (Warm me up bowl)

Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Bobbles prefers hers at room temperature. I serve her half a can for dinner cold. She waits until it reaches room temperature before eating it. She is still very excited about the routine and watching me place it down. There's no need to go to the extra effort of heating it up because she's very satisfied with our system.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigarrett View Post
Can't wait for .NO MORE extra dishes to wash
My mother bought the tiny paper plates for wet food. She'd just toss them into the garbage after each meal. I've been meaning to buy some but always forget when I'm at the store. Bobbles might rebel though since she's used to her stainless bowl.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:11 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigarrett View Post
Great articles . It reminds me of a posting last week about a new dog/cat food dish.. Its suppose to serve as a dog/cat food bowl -storage container- & can be warmed or micro waved. Sounds perfect for all of us and our pets. Can't wait for .NO MORE extra dishes to wash- or wasting food. Distributor is Quality Line enterprises in Santa Monica, CA. Bowowowow & Meowwww to all.(I think it's coming out next year,...was hoping it'd be in stores by the Holidays) Anyone knows where to purchase it, please post. (Warm me up bowl)

Ew. Ick. You still need to wash the dish between meals. I wash four cat dishes 6 times a day. Actually three are 6 times a day, one is 12 times a day. I also wash three pyrex glass food containers every day.

It's not that big of a chore.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
We feed our cats almost every 2 hours from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. The last thing we need to do is warm it up. They are fed on the very long master bathroom counter and we keep the opened food in a small Igloo chest with the ice packs my insulin is shipped in. It doesn't get too cold but it keeps it fresh.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:46 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,680 times
I have two Siamese and the female might be one of the world's pickiest feline eaters. I keep the canned food in the pantry so it is room temp when I first open it. They usually eat about half and then I stick the rest in the fridge and feed it to them later.

Like Hope's cat they wait a bit for it to reach room temperature and then eat it. I have never bothered heating it and I have a feeling I wouldn't like the smell if I did. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats