Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you give canned food (that has been refrigerated) to your cat
I heat up the food in the microwave for a few seconds. 30 42.25%
I serve it straight from the fridge. 41 57.75%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
CSD, I buy the 5.5 ounce cans to save money. Belina gets 1/4 of a can twice a day. It's refrigerated in between feedings.

And I am fully aware that I didn't give birth to Belina-----but see nothing wrong with referring to myself as her "mom"---will also say I'm her person. Ironically, I would never refer to myself as a "girl" at my advanced age, but will call Belina my furkid. Hope most people don't find it too silly/obnoxious!
I refer to myself as mommie to my cats, or muvver. So if you are silly and obnoxious, so am I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I'm a proud cat/dog Mom and I DID give birth to them....well kinda I helped in their birth.
Since Oscar has been sick and needs badly to gain some weight I have been warming any refrigerator food for him-either in microwave or in hot water if he isn't standing there watching me. I would do anything to help him eat at this point.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
I have cats and dogs and I AM their mother, although I did not give birth to them. But...the adoptive mother of my human friend, didn't give birth to her either.

When I had left overs, I added warm water. I didn't microwave because there is conflicting info that microwaves destroy nutrients in some foods. I wasn't in the mood to do a lot of research, so I just played it safe.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
mine don't care about temp particularly, they get it straight from the cupboard or straight from the fridge wherever I got it from. Now I mix wet & dry - I personally 'cream' the two together so the dry is coated with the wet, DH doesn't bother and just dumps one on top of the other. They seem to eat fine either way, I guess.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I don't have much luck with heating it. Better luck with just cold or room temp. I don't really think getting it from fridge temp back to room temp helps much though. Sometimes I think fridge temp is better and have at times put unopened cans in the fridge.

The cat is fussy with the canned food, but I don't think the temp is the cause.

Adding water definitely is a no-go.

I can't say I've tried too many more gentle ways of heating the food though. But certainly the microwave is useless for this it seems like. It's just as well; I use stainless bowls so in order to heat in there I'd have to dirty more dishes.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I don't heat the food, but I do mix in some hot water to take the chill off.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
I serve them at room temp. (wet & raw).
For her home cooked meals... it is heated than cooled to warmish room temp so she does not burn her tastebuds off.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
I just add hot water and smoosh up. This brings it to the proper temp and texture for our grumpy senior catizen.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
My cats who ate canned food didn't really care if it was served hot or cold as long as it was served.

However, I had read that cold food from the 'frig was not good for them. If there was any left over food of course I had to refrigerate it. When I took it out to give them the remainder, I let it sit covered tightly for about five minutes. It got a bit warmed and the cats were fine with it.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
My mother went through quite a transformation after we adopted Jonas. First she refused to dish out his wet food because she couldn't stand the sight/smell of it. Very slowly she started dishing it out, but would always whine about it. And she certainly would NOT nuke it. Then she would nuke it, but she wouldn't test it to see if it was too hot.

The day I saw her stick her fingers in the heated food I knew Jonas was here to stay.

Our cats definitely prefer it heated, and Jonas will sometimes vomit it if it's straight from the fridge. It only takes a few seconds to warm it. Think of your own food- most meat products taste better warmed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats