Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you give canned food (that has been refrigerated) to your cat
I heat up the food in the microwave for a few seconds. 30 42.25%
I serve it straight from the fridge. 41 57.75%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times

Advertisements

Heat cat food in the microwave? no way! who could stand the smell! I add warm water to Jasper's food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
my cats are odd, temp dependson flavor...ishy flavors MUST be COLD...im talking theyd prefer it semi frozen lol. everything else they prefer room temperature.
i generally just take the can out of the fridge about 15 mins before i plan to serve it and they seem quite happy with that, unless its fishy flavored in which case, it has to be straight out of the fridge!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,439 times
I am 'mom' to 2 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 kiddos. Lol I am wife to 1 fricking amazingly, awesome hubby. Lol I mostly feed my older cats dry food, mixing a treat of a can of tuna or, a single serve, I let them fight over. Lol they are still spoiled and get to sleep between hubby and my pillows. Lol My almost 15 yo black cat, and my almost 14 yo calico. Both female felines. Lol

Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 AM

18,052 posts, read 15,649,855 times
I actually freeze individual portions of wet food so it stays fresh and my cat seems to like it when it's just defrosted. Go figure. Heating it up never seemed to please her. Refrig only doesn't really suit her either. But fresh frozen and left to defrost in her bowl? Two paws up.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,143 times
Default Hey CSD610

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
First of all I will never, ever refer to myself as a cat/dog "parent", "Mom/Dad", aunt, uncle cousin or any other relative.

I have one dog and one cat who share our home but I am NOT their Mother and I DID NOT birth them.

Second, why would you put the food in the refrigerator and then heat it. I feed my cat Friskies wet food and it is not heated in the microwave nor anywhere else. It is in the pantry until I feed her then it is put in her dish and given to her room temperature. I also have a friend who has had cats her entire 61 years of life and none of her cats ever had food heated before given to the cats.

[mod] snip [/mod]

Second, maybe the cat doesn't eat the entire can, so she isn't wasteful and therefore keeps it refrigerated until it is time to feed her cat again. Make sense? I think it does.

If you don't have an actual answer to this poster's question, why leave a message at all?

My answer: I heat it like a double boiler, too. Put the food in a bowl, then in another bowl with hot water. And I am a VERY proud cat mom and my boys are my children.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-12-2013 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Verifying if this is a dup acct

Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
My cats' canned food goes from the cabinet to the dish to their mouths.

They either eat it or they don't.

If they don't, they will eventually.

Regardless of it's temperature.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,296 times
Direct from the can makes sense as it's room temperature but the guys will also eat it direct from the refrigerator which surprised me. I didn't try heating it so they don't know that's an option =)

Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
I would like to add to my previous post about my allowing the leftover canned food from the morning feed to stand covered at room temperature until it warmed for about five minutes or so, that microwaving was not an always an option because I had cats before microwave ovens were available. I'm old.

But I would not nuke the canned food in the microwave now that I have one because I think it would really stink up the place. I never had a cat who could finish an entire can at one meal so I would spoon out about half, put the rest in the 'frig with a cover on it and take out the can for the next meal and serve the rest after allowing it to stand until it warmed up. That way I wouldn't be taking a chance on belly aches I had been advised would happen if they ate it cold. I don't know if that would happen but I never wanted to take a chance.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
I only warm it if it's cold leftovers. Just a few seconds in the microwave, stir and feed. They would probably eat it cold but since the MW is right there.....

Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
I warm all canned food. I don't have a microwave. I run hot water over the glass dish, put the portion in the hot dish, then set the dish of food into another dish of hot water for a minute or two to bring it up to a nice warm temp. I stir it around and check the temp before serving, to make sure it's not too hot.

They would eat it room temp, but they prefer it warmed.

Their raw meals however are eaten cold, sometimes still even a little icy.

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-07-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats