Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

I have two cats...a Himalyan and a Ragdoll. A few years ago, the Himalayan started peeing in corners, just once in a while. Mostly on the hardwood floor. Sometimes in the bathtub.

Took her to the vet many times and they could find no reason for it!

We then noticed that she had peed a couple of times in the corner of the guest room, on the carpet. The smell was NASTY!

We cleaned and cleaned the carpet. Used some Nature's Miracle and yet, the smell persisted. We realized that the smell was coming from under the carpet...the pad and the sub floor. We used Kilz and the smell was finally contained.

I was at the point of locking the cat in the bathroom when I read online about Feliway, which plugs into the outlet and gives out a scent that soothes the cat.

I went to the petstore to get it but when reading the directions, realized that it only solves the problem in one room. Girl at the pet store recommended a CAT COLLAR that has the scent.

Collar cost $15 instead of the Feliway room diffuser, which cost $30. At this time, I would have spent MUCH MORE to get this bad habit to stop!

Put the collar on the cat. She didn't seem to mind much. Ran around the room for a minute or two and then crawled onto my lap.

It is a week later and no peeing on the floor!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I thought this might help someone!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
I don't have any experience with the cat collar you mentioned, but I have some experience with a (healthy) cat urinating outside the box.

The issues were the brand of litter that was being used, and another time it was the location of the litter box.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Lola4...I changed the litter box location numerous times. I changed the brand of litter numerous times. It didn't help. Her issues seem to be more behavioural due to anxiety and this collar helps that.

Vicki

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Hi Vicki- I'm in Chapel Hill.

A few months back I was blaming a cat(we have 2 ragdolls) for peeing in an expensive chair at night. about 3 times in all over a few weeks time. I took the cats in for tests and they were all OK. I finally decided it was the dog!. I had gotten lazy and dropped her very last "outside good girl" when I went to bed thinking she could last from 4 p.m. to the next morning. When I started taking her outside right before bedtime, the problem never came up again. All the remedies I tried including having the Lazeboy folks come out -it was still under warranty, vinegar, Nature's miracle and sunning outside finally have taken the odor our or maybe I just got used to it.

Do they make those collars for dogs or is it just to calm nervous cats. Don't see how a collar can keep a cat from inappropriate peeing. But just glad it works for you.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 AM

216 posts, read 829,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hi Vicki- I'm in Chapel Hill.

A few months back I was blaming a cat(we have 2 ragdolls) for peeing in an expensive chair at night. about 3 times in all over a few weeks time. I took the cats in for tests and they were all OK. I finally decided it was the dog!. I had gotten lazy and dropped her very last "outside good girl" when I went to bed thinking she could last from 4 p.m. to the next morning. When I started taking her outside right before bedtime, the problem never came up again. All the remedies I tried including having the Lazeboy folks come out -it was still under warranty, vinegar, Nature's miracle and sunning outside finally have taken the odor our or maybe I just got used to it.

Do they make those collars for dogs or is it just to calm nervous cats. Don't see how a collar can keep a cat from inappropriate peeing. But just glad it works for you.
I've used the Feliway diffuser when my ferals were first in the house. Did get the impression that it calmed my anxious female down.
I've never heard of the collar for cats before, though.
I did find a collar version for dogs, though:
Cat & Dog Behavior Solutions: Feliway & Dog Appeasing Pheromone | Comfort Zone for Cats & Dogs

Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 AM

The Feliway website explains how and why it works.

Cats usually WANT to use the litter box. After you take them to the vet many times and rule out any health issues...you figure out it is just a behaviour issue. It is based on the cat being anxious or nervous and the scent (from the Feliway and the collar) calms the cat.

Interesting that you'd have a dog that peed in a chair. Maybe the dog is just getting old, falling asleep in the LAZE BOY and peeing in his sleep???

About 2 weeks ago, we ran over a skunk. Stinky! But...I don't know that there is a smell worse than cat pee!

Vicki

Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Vicki, good for you! Your thread I will keep in the back of my mind, and once my life calms down a bit, I will contemplate using these collars. I have some wild males who spray for territory inside my home. I have tried the diffusers with very little success. I have tried a lot of things, with very little success.

We are waiting for Spring to sell our sports car, and with the money, we are ripping up the rug on the entire second floor and putting hardwood floors in. This is the ONLY way that will help deter these boys from spraying as much as they do because the scent is now permanently in the rug.

But, thank you for this information. I will research it, and pray about it, and if I am led, I will use these collars. You just don't know until you at least try, right????

Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Vicki, good for you! Your thread I will keep in the back of my mind, and once my life calms down a bit, I will contemplate using these collars. I have some wild males who spray for territory inside my home. I have tried the diffusers with very little success. I have tried a lot of things, with very little success.

We are waiting for Spring to sell our sports car, and with the money, we are ripping up the rug on the entire second floor and putting hardwood floors in. This is the ONLY way that will help deter these boys from spraying as much as they do because the scent is now permanently in the rug.

But, thank you for this information. I will research it, and pray about it, and if I am led, I will use these collars. You just don't know until you at least try, right????

I am so glad that my post helped, as that is the reason I posted.

I was just about to rip up the carpet in that room and put in hardwoods in my bedroom and use the carpet from my bedroom to put into that bedroom. The cost was going to be around $2500.

So much cheaper to buy the $15 collar!!!

However, my cat had peed on the hardwood floor downstairs (in another corner). It was much easier to clean BUT after a while, her urine went right through the poly on the floor and discolored the hardwood.

So, even though you are putting in hardwoods, keep on eye on them, since that doesn't solve the problem of the cat using the bathroom outside of the litter box.

Best of luck to you...it is frustrating.

Vicki

Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
They make collars for dogs that do the same thing. They are called DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheramone) collars, when I looked for them for my dog I couldn't find them anywhere except amazon. Basically the collars contain 1% of a similar pheramone that their momma secretes when she's feeding them when they're babies to calm them. It either works or doesn't but there's no negative response. It's definitely worth a try. I didn't notice a difference when I used the plug-ins for the cats... for the dog I noticed a slight difference but he was a very anxious dog.

I had this cat peeing problem and I finally located the reason. He was peeing in the hamper (it was at the bottom of a laundry shoot so it was a low basket) and I realized that sweat has a similar smell as cat pee. I discovered this when I thought the cat had peed and it was actually my SO's socks from after he'd been doing yard work! GROSS! So I think Cooper was marking, thinking it smelled like another kitty's pee! So we got rid of the hamper and got a tall hamper on wheels and made sure really sweaty stuff was put right in the washer and problem solved! Hopefully this helps someone else. It's so satisfying to finally find the reason why they're doing this!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
However, my cat had peed on the hardwood floor downstairs (in another corner). It was much easier to clean BUT after a while, her urine went right through the poly on the floor and discolored the hardwood.

So, even though you are putting in hardwoods, keep on eye on them, since that doesn't solve the problem of the cat using the bathroom outside of the litter box.

Best of luck to you...it is frustrating.

Vicki
Don't I know.......the hardwood flooring we have on the first floor, yes, in spots has had urine go right through the poly. Yep, yep and yep.

The other option is tile, but I don't want to go there. Tile is cold and not very safe when a fall is involved, or rough play. Nope.

My rug is really a hopeless cause. That is what happens when wild/feral cats are indoors.....it is instinctual. I have other males that do not spray, which is a miracle in of itself, but they are not of wild or feral background either.

This is something I have gone round and round with, and yes, it is extremely frustrating. My home used to be so neat and clean and orderly. LOL It sure is not like that anymore.......BUT!!!! The LOVE that I receive, the family I have now, I would NOT trade for anything in the world! Kids (human) can do a real number on homes as well......I just happen to have perpetual young kids........

But, again, I do really thank you for the information. I honestly can't see one of my wild males tolerating a collar, but IF I don't at least try.....I'll never know! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats