Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,908 times

Advertisements

I bet those collars would be a big hit for parents with teenagers, too!

Garden,
Don't give up the idea of tile. There are mannnnnnny different kinds. Check into it before you write it off.

I was worried about falls as well, but got a tile that is non-shiny smooth... yet no pores. (Non-technical terms.) I may still fall, but it won't be because the floor was slippery.

With 7 cats and 2 dogs, I don't regret an all tile home for one minute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 04:30 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I bet those collars would be a big hit for parents with teenagers, too!

Garden,
Don't give up the idea of tile. There are mannnnnnny different kinds. Check into it before you write it off.

I was worried about falls as well, but got a tile that is non-shiny smooth... yet no pores. (Non-technical terms.) I may still fall, but it won't be because the floor was slippery.

With 7 cats and 2 dogs, I don't regret an all tile home for one minute!
Hmmmm.......now you have me thinking, Lola. I will check it out again. I was concerned about my cats hitting a hard tile vs a wooden floor.

But, I won't throw the baby out with the bath water. I will keep the tile in mind! Thank you!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,054,711 times
I'm having a problem with our 19 year old female Russian Blue who has been occasionally peeing or pooping on top of a heater vent. (Gross! Yuck!) Fortunately it was mostly closed, but I still have to clean it up. I've tried Feliway before when we go on vacation to keep the cats calm. Maybe it's time to get a plug in diffuser again. We started locking our 19 year old in the master bathroom at night when she started going to the bathroom on the bed. She seems happy with the new arrangement but she needs a little attention at night before she goes to sleep. I have to remember to not let her sleep on the chairs in the kitchen. It seems like she goes in the wrong places because she can't make it all the way to the litter box on the other side of the house.

Has anyone used the "keep away" type products to keep their cats from urinating in the wrong spot? The one I have is an herbal mix of rosemary, thyme, etc. I had a very nice Ethan Allen loveseat that I think the female was ruining by peeing on it. The last time I cleaned it I sprayed it with the keep-away solution. I'm not completely sure it's working because there have been some other "accidents" in that room.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,766 times
Sometimes replacing the actual litterbox with a new one solves the problem, too. Plastic absorbs odors, and an old well-used box might still stink, to the cat, even well-scrubbed with all-new litter in it. I bought two new litter boxes for my cats and made no other changes. The cat that peed outside the box uses both of them now. And they are the hooded type of box, which I though would never work, but the cats actually seem to like the covers because they aren't worried about being jumped by another cat while doing business.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
That is what is so frustrating...it can be so many reasons why the cats pee outside the litter box!

Try the simple stuff first...change the litter, get a different litter box, move the litter box, buy a 2nd littler box, make sure the cat has no health issues, etc.

Knowing what now works for MY CAT, I wish I had started with the collar. For $15, that is the solution I would try first.

I tried some of the keep away products but my cat had so many different corners that she peed in, it was hard to keep up!

Vicki

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
It seems like she goes in the wrong places because she can't make it all the way to the litter box on the other side of the house.
I know there is a medication to help with incontinence in dogs... I've never heard of it for cats but you may want to inquire with the vet. If the problem is that she can't make it to the box (which is understandable since she's an older kitty) maybe medicine will help.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
It seems like she goes in the wrong places because she can't make it all the way to the litter box on the other side of the house.
The first thing I would try is adding another box.

We have litter boxes through out the house...from one end to another. (It isn't as bad at it sounds! lol) Having them arranged that way helps with MULTIPLE situations.

Some prefer certain areas for privacy or low traffic.
If one box is occupied, there is an unoccupied one near by.
The cats that like to be bullies from time to time, can't block off all available entrances.
If someone gets locked in or out of a room, there is a box available.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM

40 posts, read 89,739 times
Default Stop Cat Peeing

My friend has a cat that does this and she tells me that her cat will pee on everything except the litterbox. We're talking about peeing on the carpet, rug, bed, floors....you name it.

I saw a product on the tv that I'm not sure if it's out yet, but it teaches cats to be toilet train. Personally, I don't like the idea of sharing my toilet with a cat. There really must be some better alternative.

I was trying to help her and looking at all the different options/solutions to remedy this situation. I found a video that is HILARIOUSLY adorable, but it seems to have a serious side to finding a solution to the problem.

I'm sure you guys will get a kick out of this.
‪Stop Cat Pee with Jaspurr‬‏ - YouTube

Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 45,259 times
Default harwood Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have two cats...a Himalyan and a Ragdoll. A few years ago, the Himalayan started peeing in corners, just once in a while. Mostly on the hardwood floor. Sometimes in the bathtub.

Took her to the vet many times and they could find no reason for it!

We then noticed that she had peed a couple of times in the corner of the guest room, on the carpet. The smell was NASTY!

We cleaned and cleaned the carpet. Used some Nature's Miracle and yet, the smell persisted. We realized that the smell was coming from under the carpet...the pad and the sub floor. We used Kilz and the smell was finally contained.

I was at the point of locking the cat in the bathroom when I read online about Feliway, which plugs into the outlet and gives out a scent that soothes the cat.

I went to the petstore to get it but when reading the directions, realized that it only solves the problem in one room. Girl at the pet store recommended a CAT COLLAR that has the scent.

Collar cost $15 instead of the Feliway room diffuser, which cost $30. At this time, I would have spent MUCH MORE to get this bad habit to stop!

Put the collar on the cat. She didn't seem to mind much. Ran around the room for a minute or two and then crawled onto my lap.

It is a week later and no peeing on the floor!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I thought this might help someone!

Vicki

Vicki - your post saved my life (and my 3 cats) we JUST REDID our hardwood floors - had them sanded down, restained, repolyed - YUP - THERE IS PEE AGAIN - same corners - a female cat and male cat (both spayed/neutered) - my husband is freaking out - we spent all this $$ on a new kitchen and new floors and they are doing it again - I am ordering the collar AND the DIFFUSER!! Can't hurt right? Another question - did you treat the corners/areas where they peed - I have a few spots NOT JUST ONE but did you pour anything in that area to try and kill the smell?? Vinegar? Bleach? THANK YOU!!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Glad to hear it. Not sure if this has been suggested, haven't read the whole thread.. but using Cat Attract litter has worked well for a couple of my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats