Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM

306 posts, read 605,591 times

Advertisements

I had an issue with the same thing, ended having to put my cat on Prozac...hated to, but it works. Tried every dang product, and everything one could think of...nothing worked with my one male..and he wasn't spraying, he was out and out peeing because I caught him in action a couple of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
My two indoor cats don't have any issues,
but I'm gonna get some of this stuff for
taking them on a long car trip.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM

297 posts, read 502,809 times
Interesting! Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind if I ever have the problem.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,971 times
I don't like Nature's Miracle at all. I think it's useless.

To get cat pee smell out of carpet, here's what I do:

I use a inkjet cartridge refilling syringe that came with the refill kits that you can buy at Staples. It is about 10ml volume and it has a sturdy needle on it, too. I read someone say they use a marinade injector, but I don't have one and I do have cartridge-refill syringes to spare.

I use either one of two products, liquids, UrineOff by BioPro Research (buy that in pints or gallons at pet stores) or Urine-Away by Ceva USA (smells better but costs more plus I also have to get it from the vet here, if I want a gallon). Update: http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/v...ine-eliminator sells the Ceva product by the gallon now.

1. Blot up as much urine as possible. Lay towels on it and newspapers and whatever, and tromp around on it for a while, to draw as much as possible out. That is important to do.

2. If there are stains, like from blood in the urine, I scrub with Resolve and a soft brush. Then repeat the blotting-up.

3. Fill a cup with the urine-killer liquid. Draw it up into the syringe.

4. Depending on how badly soaked the carpet was to begin with, I might go with 4" intervals or I might do 1.5" intervals. But I picture a grid on the floor. And I stick that syringe into that carpet a little so that the urine-killer goes into the jute backing and then down underneath to soak both the jute and the carpet pad underneath. And I inject that urine-killer into the carpet. How much and how closely together is at user discretion. Imagine how much volume that cat put into that rug, and then put that much urine-killer in, will do it.

5. Leave it soak forever and eventually it will dry. It takes some time for it to work, so leave it at least 2-3 days if not longer.

That ought to kill all pee odors within 24-48 hours, so far as humans can tell. I use it as a stop-gap method to just get rid of the flippin' pee odor a) without pulling up the carpet, and 2) until I can clean the carpet properly.

The urine-killer products have their own weird odor. But not as bad as cat pee, and it goes away with time, or immediately if you clean the carpets.

Keep in mind that by the time you notice cat pee odor, there might be a 3' - 4' radius of carpet involved. Get down there and sniff to see how big of an area to treat. Or just go out 4' in all directions, if you are the squeamish type, haha.

That syringe idea should also work for hardwood floors. Work the cracks between the boards and let it run down underneath. How much to use is your decision. Hardwood isn't going to absorb. Naturally, you'd need much less urine-killer than for carpet + padding.

My female cat designated one corner as her pee-corner. I finally got fed up and got a big shock mat (rectangle) and laid it down in that corner. I turned it up all the way and I set her on it, twice, so she got a good jolt. I wanted it to be a real bad experience to be in that corner. I left the mat there. She doesn't even go near that corner anymore. Sounds cruel, I know, but there's nothing medically wrong with her, and she does use the litter box but would use that corner if it was more convenient at the moment. I have scoured the house but I don't find pee anywhere else.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 10-15-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Glad to hear it. Not sure if this has been suggested, haven't read the whole thread.. but using Cat Attract litter has worked well for a couple of my friends.
Cat attract worked for me, and several friends who tried it upon my rec.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 20,048 times
Our 11 year old male Siamese started peeing everywhere. If he isn't throwing up he's peeing. He loves to go outside (usually on a leash) to mark territory. He had crystals but the vet helped him recover. We switched to wet RX food. One day we put catnip in his food dish and he ate it and then peed in the dish! This week I cleaned a litter box, put in a bit of torn up newspaper and a plastic cup of catnip. It worked.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 10,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hi Vicki- I'm in Chapel Hill.

A few months back I was blaming a cat(we have 2 ragdolls) for peeing in an expensive chair at night. about 3 times in all over a few weeks time. I took the cats in for tests and they were all OK. I finally decided it was the dog!. I had gotten lazy and dropped her very last "outside good girl" when I went to bed thinking she could last from 4 p.m. to the next morning. When I started taking her outside right before bedtime, the problem never came up again. All the remedies I tried including having the Lazeboy folks come out -it was still under warranty, vinegar, Nature's miracle and sunning outside finally have taken the odor our or maybe I just got used to it.

Do they make those collars for dogs or is it just to calm nervous cats. Don't see how a collar can keep a cat from inappropriate peeing. But just glad it works for you.

no offense, but... don't you think it's a little cruel and insensitive to "think she could last from 4 PM to the next morning"? could you? she's a dog, not a camel. frankly i'm disgusted at that sort of negligence.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer cap View Post
Vicki - your post saved my life (and my 3 cats) we JUST REDID our hardwood floors - had them sanded down, restained, repolyed - YUP - THERE IS PEE AGAIN - same corners - a female cat and male cat (both spayed/neutered) - my husband is freaking out - we spent all this $$ on a new kitchen and new floors and they are doing it again - I am ordering the collar AND the DIFFUSER!! Can't hurt right? Another question - did you treat the corners/areas where they peed - I have a few spots NOT JUST ONE but did you pour anything in that area to try and kill the smell?? Vinegar? Bleach? THANK YOU!!
One thing that I have found is that it is not always the odor that brings a cat back to "the spot"......it is HABIT.

You need to deny access to "the spot". I usually just put a weighted box over the area so they cannot get to it......and you have to leave it there a long time too.....several months.....but that has always worked for me.

Find something.....a piece of furniture.....a box....whatever.....to put in those corners so they cannot pee there......and leave it there long enough to break the habit.

If you feel like it.....decorate the box with wrapping/contact paper to match your décor.....since you need to leave it there for quite awhile.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have two cats...a Himalyan and a Ragdoll. A few years ago, the Himalayan started peeing in corners, just once in a while. Mostly on the hardwood floor. Sometimes in the bathtub.

Took her to the vet many times and they could find no reason for it!

We then noticed that she had peed a couple of times in the corner of the guest room, on the carpet. The smell was NASTY!

We cleaned and cleaned the carpet. Used some Nature's Miracle and yet, the smell persisted. We realized that the smell was coming from under the carpet...the pad and the sub floor. We used Kilz and the smell was finally contained.

I was at the point of locking the cat in the bathroom when I read online about Feliway, which plugs into the outlet and gives out a scent that soothes the cat.

I went to the petstore to get it but when reading the directions, realized that it only solves the problem in one room. Girl at the pet store recommended a CAT COLLAR that has the scent.

Collar cost $15 instead of the Feliway room diffuser, which cost $30. At this time, I would have spent MUCH MORE to get this bad habit to stop!

Put the collar on the cat. She didn't seem to mind much. Ran around the room for a minute or two and then crawled onto my lap.

It is a week later and no peeing on the floor!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I thought this might help someone!

Vicki
I tried that collar about 2 years ago and it worked for about two weeks. UGH

Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,016 times
Default Nothing works

Tried every Feliway product without luck. Tried the collar and that doesn't work either. Tried the cat litter attraction stuff without luck also. Still searching ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats