Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 11:13 AM

26,250 posts, read 49,156,904 times

Advertisements

In my morning email from the NY Times

Quote:
Padres pull off blockbuster
The San Diego Padres, not the Texas Rangers, acquired White Sox pitcher Dylan Cease yesterday, a stunning reversal from just a day ago. Cease’s addition bolsters an already formidable Padres rotation, while Chicago will receive four prospects in return. A.J. Preller simply cannot resist a splash.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 09:06 PM

9,796 posts, read 7,515,108 times
Default 2024: 1-1

Best case scenario: This was a lot of roster upheaval: Juan Soto, Nick Martinez, Michael Wacha, Seth Lugo, Bob Melvin out replaced by Michael King, Jhonny Brito, Mike Schilt, and Dylan Cease. But with Cease, Yu Darvish and Joe Musgrove still around, along with King who they got back in the Soto trade they could have one of the better rotations in the league which could lead the back to the postseason.

Worst case scenario: The offense really struggles without Soto, and without putting up runs the pitching which is superb can’t do much losing a bunch of 1-0, 2-0 and 2-1 games. And their recent trades over the year they can’t help the offense out with mid season trades.

Predictions: The pitching is superb, and the bats win enough games to sneak into the final Wildcard spot with a 91-71 record, but once they get into the dance the pitching carries them to a 2-0 sweep of the NL Central winning Reds, and than they use the 3-4-5 combination of Cease, Darvish and Musgrove to come from behind to beat the Braves 3-2 in the NLDS before succumbing to the Dodgers 4-1 in the NLCS. 4 game series vs. the Giants starts on Thursday: Logan Webb (11-13, 3.25 in ’22) starts for the Giants while the Padres give the ball to Darvish (0-0, 0.00) starts for the Padres with first pitch slated for 4:10.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:21 PM

Default 4-5

Split 4 games with the Giants and lost 2 of 3 to the Cardinals. They play 3 in San Francisco this weekend before coming hoe for 3 against the Cubs to open the week.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:01 PM

Default 7-8

3-3 week. Pulled off a shocker on Monday, one of the largest comeback's in tea history when they overturned an 8-0 deficit into a 9-8 win. Hanging around because so far every other team in the division except the Dodgers is under .500. The problem is Musgrove has not been good at all so far: a 6.87 ERA and a 1.75 WHIP so far in the early doing, and Darvish is never going to go deep into games at this stage of his career, so every sub par outing by Musgrove is going to tax the bullpen even more.

6 road games this week: 3 in LA against the Dodgers this weekend, and than 3 in Milwaukee. I'll be generous and set the barometer at 2-4; either don't get swept anywhere OR get swept and than win a series. I don't think this goes better than 3-3 and even that might be generous.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:36 PM

Default 11-10

That went a lot better than I expected. I expected them to go 1-5, I set the goal at 2-4, I would've been happy with 3-3, and it finished 4-2. And you could say maybe that was even disappointing. They won 4 of their first 5 and lost 1-0 on the finale in Milwaukee. In a tie game at 0-0, the Padres had a lead off triple and could not get get the runner home, and then in the bottom half Michael King allows 2 of his 3 hits on the afternoon and they have a sour flight back to San Diego. 4-2 through LA & Milwaukee is great, but you know what would be better than 4-2?? 5-1 which is what it could have been.

7 games this week. They make a quick stop in San Diego for 3 games against the Blue Jays before heading back on the road for 4 games in Denver. I'll set the barometer at 4-3. The Jays are a good team that just gave the Yankees their first series loss of the season but the SP has been incredibly inconsistent and the bats for the most part have been MIA with Dodgers cast off Justin Turner doing most of the damage. And even with how terrible the Rockies have been, Coors Field has been a house of horrors for them; I want to say they've only won 6 or 7 games the last 2 seasons at Coors, so yah I'll take a 4-3 record when I check in next Thursday afternoon after the Rockies series ends.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:14 PM

Default 14-14

Well, that was pretty terrible. They had no offense at all in the home series vs. Toronto, and than in Colorado they blew a 4-1 lead in game 2 (albeit that was only in the 5th, but they never scored anyways after the 3rd inning) and than the Thursday game was an absolute killer: A 9-4 lead going into the bottom of the 8th and you lose 10-9?!?!? WTF?? The Mariners who can't score at all outscored them 18-4 the prior series. Before the Mariners came in, the D'Backs were their prior home series; The D'backs relievers can't get anyone out, but they managed to only allow 4 runs in 10 innings (and all 4 runs came in 1 game). So, the moral of this story is: GET SOMEONE OUT!!! The D'backs were able to get Rockies out!! The Rockies were 6-19, inexcusable to lose that game especially since they already lost once in the series before hand.

6 home games coming up: Phillies in first for the weekend. They are coming off a split with the Reds but before that had gone 6-0 against the Roxs & White Sox. Than Cinci follows the Phillies Monday to Wednesday. Elly de la Cruz for the Reds is really mashing at the moment. I'll be content with 3-3, but hopefully they can win both series to somewhat make up for this disaster class in Denver. Padres are 2.5 back of the Dodgers, D'Backs and Giants are tied at 3.5 back, and the Rockies are 8.5 back.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:22 PM

Default 16-18

This week went over about as well as a fart in church. Lost the first 4 games of the homestand before they salvaged something by winning the final 2. The highlight for this week by far was the 9th inning on Monday night. Reds have a 5-2 lead with 2 outs, a ball is hit to Elly de la Cruz at short, and instead of getting the easy out to end the game he stays back on the ball to showcase his rocket arm. He fires a 107+ MPH strike to first that hits the first baseman in the glove and bounces into the stands.

They head to Phoenix with 3 games against the D'Backs. I guess the goal is not to get swept?? Dodgers are in first, Padres & Giants are tied at 4 back, D'Backs are 4.5 back, and the Rockies are 10.5 back.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:13 PM

The last team that acquired a superstar bat after having all stars in the batting order 6 days later acquired the ace pitcher the team really needed, and ultimately that same team ended up 2 wins short of a World Series appearance, and likely title. Luis Arreaz really isn't Troy Tulowitski, and AJ Preller and the Padres will acquire their David Price (if they even do go after more pitching) probably in a lot longer than 6 days, but the simularities between the 2015 Toronto Blue Jays and 2024 San Diego Padres are there. The Blue Jays added a strength to an already strength to start of 2015 deadline week, but finished deadline week by getting their big fish in David Price. Now there's still almost 3 more months until the deadline. A lot more teams could drop out, pitchers could get hurt, pitchers that are hurt now come back healthy, but the Padres could go back to the Marlins as well and get their big fish for 2024 in Jesus Luzardo assuming Luzardo is back from his injury and doesn't need TJ surgery. They won the first 2 games in Arizona before dropping the finale. Arreaz set a team record with 4 hits in his club debut, not even the great Tony Gwynn accomplished that feat. They've got 3 games in Chicago against the Cubs to start the week, before they come home and the Dodgers come in for 3. Maybe they can get lucky and get 2 wins in each series, but I'll be happy with a split on the week. Dodgers are in first, San Diego is 5.5 back, Arizona & San Francisco are 7.5 back, and Colorado is 14 back.

Old Today, 09:05 PM

Default 22-21

Did better than I thought and won both series this week. They host the Rockies for 3 games, and than head East to Atlanta for a 4 game wrap-around series in Atlanta which wraps on Monday afternoon. Rockies, by virtue of winning 4 in a row including a 3 game sweep of the Rangers are not the worst team in the NL anymore, and the Braves are 2 games behind the Phillies in the East after losing a walk off in Queens on Sunday night baseball. A good week is 6-1, what I expect is 5-2; split the series in Atlanta and sweep the Rockies; a bad week is 2-5; don't sweep the Rockies and lose the series to the Braves. Dodgers are in first, Padres are 5.5 back, Arizona is 7.5 back, Giants are 8 back, and the Rockies are 14 back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball