Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 07:30 PM

4,966 posts, read 2,258,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Fernando Tatis, Jr has been suspended for 80 games for violating MLB’s PED policy. He will sit out the remainder of this season and the beginning of next after testing positive for Clostebol, a banned substance.
I don't even watch professional sports anymore, but I feel for you guys. In the 30+ years of watching the Braves from the 80s - early 00's, nothing comes close to this level of disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 07:14 AM

34,161 posts, read 17,245,315 times
The Tatis news is shocking, as he is at the start of a huge contract.

Great talent, but I like the MLB policy.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:05 AM

30,298 posts, read 11,944,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
And then they get swept in LA. Granted they probably need to have the mindset of getting players rested once they feel good about the WC position. Anything can happen in a short series and Snell, Darvish and Musgrove could step up big. I know Snell has been pitching better as of late.

But I think you're right. You don't win in 22 or 23 the next 5-10 years could be bad. I also think Machado OPT's out and honestly that might be a blessing long term.
Interesting about Machado. As a Dodger fan I was elated when we traded for him. He can hit. But the Dodgers traded for him and the Padres signed him help them get to the world series. And he is a .200 career hitter in the post season. And he has the dirty player tag on him, most hated etc. I was fine with him not signing long term with the Dodgers.

Looks like Brewers and Padres will fight it out for the final WC spot. The Giants might make a final push. Should be interesting.

Old 08-20-2022, 02:42 PM

33,341 posts, read 12,661,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Interesting about Machado. As a Dodger fan I was elated when we traded for him. He can hit. But the Dodgers traded for him and the Padres signed him help them get to the world series. And he is a .200 career hitter in the post season. And he has the dirty player tag on him, most hated etc. I was fine with him not signing long term with the Dodgers.

Looks like Brewers and Padres will fight it out for the final WC spot. The Giants might make a final push. Should be interesting.
If the Giants can get in, I’d love to see them win it all but, barring that, the Astros are next.

OIf all of the teams that will or might get in, the only team I really don’t want to see win it all…..the Yankees.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:10 AM

30,298 posts, read 11,944,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If the Giants can get in, I’d love to see them win it all but, barring that, the Astros are next.

OIf all of the teams that will or might get in, the only team I really don’t want to see win it all…..the Yankees.
I agree with you regarding the Yankees.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:35 PM

52,745 posts, read 48,100,286 times
Can't believe how quiet this thread's been, all considering the Padres made it into the postseason and made the Earth move a little bit. A few more parts away from overtaking the Dodgers for the NL West; that's all they'll need.

Great job on a great season, Padres fans!

Old 10-25-2022, 12:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 7,540,027 times
They need way more then a few pieces to pass the Dodgers for the division Case. On August 2 when they made the Soto trade they were 11.5 games back of the Dodgers, and they finished 22 games behind, so they almost doubled the division deficit in 2 months time after the Soto & Hader trades. The most disappointing in all this Case was they mortgaged the future for the immediate present; 2022, 2023 & 2024, and in the biggest spot of the season they left one of their main trade pieces (Hader) on the bench. Still have no idea how he WASN'T pitching to Harper there in the 8th inning, especially considering he hadn't pitched since Wednesday after he wasn't needed Friday or Saturday. At least he'll be well rested for Spring Training though .

That was the big difference between Melvin & Rob Thompson from the Phillies this series. Thompson didn't give a rats behind about the inning, or the fact there was a potential for 5 games in 5 days....he managed games 3 through 5 like they were game 7. About the only thing he did wrong was bring in Brad Hand in game 4, and even then he was kind of boxed into a corner with that being a bullpen game. Melvin strictly played the old school rules thinking "well I can't use my closer until the 9th inning" nonsense. Well, you have to get to the 9th inning! If Harper hits the bomb off of Hader you tip your cap to a well played series you beat our best. Suarez has been really good no doubt, Hader hadn't been good June through August, but had a strong September, he's got to be out there against Harper. Worry about the 9th inning when you get there. Worry about games 6 & 7 when you get there.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:22 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,608,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They need way more then a few pieces to pass the Dodgers for the division Case. On August 2 when they made the Soto trade they were 11.5 games back of the Dodgers, and they finished 22 games behind, so they almost doubled the division deficit in 2 months time after the Soto & Hader trades. The most disappointing in all this Case was they mortgaged the future for the immediate present; 2022, 2023 & 2024, and in the biggest spot of the season they left one of their main trade pieces (Hader) on the bench. Still have no idea how he WASN'T pitching to Harper there in the 8th inning, especially considering he hadn't pitched since Wednesday after he wasn't needed Friday or Saturday. At least he'll be well rested for Spring Training though .

That was the big difference between Melvin & Rob Thompson from the Phillies this series. Thompson didn't give a rats behind about the inning, or the fact there was a potential for 5 games in 5 days....he managed games 3 through 5 like they were game 7. About the only thing he did wrong was bring in Brad Hand in game 4, and even then he was kind of boxed into a corner with that being a bullpen game. Melvin strictly played the old school rules thinking "well I can't use my closer until the 9th inning" nonsense. Well, you have to get to the 9th inning! If Harper hits the bomb off of Hader you tip your cap to a well played series you beat our best. Suarez has been really good no doubt, Hader hadn't been good June through August, but had a strong September, he's got to be out there against Harper. Worry about the 9th inning when you get there. Worry about games 6 & 7 when you get there.
Facts
Ive Followed Harper Since he was in 10 grade, the kid has always Hit bombs in big moments, why pitch to him

Old 02-24-2023, 09:25 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,608,133 times
Then there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVTspU4X8U

Old 02-26-2023, 09:51 PM

6,736 posts, read 6,774,682 times
Looks like Machado to sign a big extension.

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-macha...ract-extension
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball