Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 01:49 PM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I accepted a mostly remote position in Asheville a few months ago. I'm currently in Bristol, TN. I'd have a budget up to around $250k with the proceeds of selling my current home. I've been looking to move to western NC anyway before the job, but finding anything decent for what I can afford has been a struggle.

Here is what I'm looking for.

1) My girlfriend lives between Weaverville and Marshall. I'd like to be no more than an hour from there - generally, the closer to Asheville, the better.

2) Townhome or condo is preferred. A small home on a flat/gently rolling lot under half an acre might work.

It's unlikely I'd want anything that shares a common indoor entrance - where the entrance to my unit would be inside in a common area. No "split up houses."

3) 2BR/2BA minimum, would prefer 3BR, or at least some sort of bonus space for a home office. Garage preferred but not required.

4) It doesn't have to be cosmetically perfect - I'm fine with painting, potentially new flooring, etc., but I don't want a major fixer-upper.

I'm having a hard time finding anything within thirty minutes or so of Asheville that meets these criteria. It's either too expensive, just land, or a small, older house that's going to need major work.

I'm trying to think out of the box - maybe a condo at Wolf Laurel, Lake Lure, possibly Lake James? Hendersonville, maybe even Brevard could work as well.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 02:09 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
I assume you're searching Realtor.com?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M67427-32451
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M50636-31434https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M62207-56069
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M6355740497

I found these, there are a bunch more, especially condos. SFHs exist in that price range, but they sell very quickly. I'd suggest working with a realtor.

Old 03-28-2023, 03:28 PM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
I am looking to buy too, but it’s still a seller’s market, so I am waiting until there are more listings, at least 6 month’s inventory. That my suggestion to you.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:58 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I am looking to buy too, but it’s still a seller’s market, so I am waiting until there are more listings, at least 6 month’s inventory. That my suggestion to you.
You may be waiting a long time. I’m still seeing desirable properties “pending” a day or two after they’re listed.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:02 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I accepted a mostly remote position in Asheville a few months ago. I'm currently in Bristol, TN. I'd have a budget up to around $250k with the proceeds of selling my current home. I've been looking to move to western NC anyway before the job, but finding anything decent for what I can afford has been a struggle.

Here is what I'm looking for.

1) My girlfriend lives between Weaverville and Marshall. I'd like to be no more than an hour from there - generally, the closer to Asheville, the better.

2) Townhome or condo is preferred. A small home on a flat/gently rolling lot under half an acre might work.

It's unlikely I'd want anything that shares a common indoor entrance - where the entrance to my unit would be inside in a common area. No "split up houses."

3) 2BR/2BA minimum, would prefer 3BR, or at least some sort of bonus space for a home office. Garage preferred but not required.

4) It doesn't have to be cosmetically perfect - I'm fine with painting, potentially new flooring, etc., but I don't want a major fixer-upper.

I'm having a hard time finding anything within thirty minutes or so of Asheville that meets these criteria. It's either too expensive, just land, or a small, older house that's going to need major work.

I'm trying to think out of the box - maybe a condo at Wolf Laurel, Lake Lure, possibly Lake James? Hendersonville, maybe even Brevard could work as well.

Thoughts?
Owen has listed some good possibilities. Would a mobile home be an option? If you could increase your upper range to possibly $300k, it would help. You may be able to find something suitable in your price range, but you’re going to have to be ready to pounce on it quickly as they don’t last long, especially in this price range. Best of luck!

Old 03-29-2023, 09:53 AM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Owen has listed some good possibilities. Would a mobile home be an option? If you could increase your upper range to possibly $300k, it would help. You may be able to find something suitable in your price range, but you’re going to have to be ready to pounce on it quickly as they don’t last long, especially in this price range. Best of luck!
I saw those yesterday, and some were nice. That's kind of what I'm looking for. Some need some updating, but none were terrible. It's just that the inventory is so low that anything seems to move extremely quickly, and it seems so high compared to what I'm used to.

This isn't going to be a forever home. I really don't want to rent again though.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:29 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I liked the ground floor condo that had a view of a yard and woods. You would not have to maintain that yard! Owen had picked condos with separate entrances rather than shared hallways.
I also thought a manufactured home might be an option, especially one on its own lot.

Old 03-29-2023, 03:15 PM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You may be waiting a long time. I’m still seeing desirable properties “pending” a day or two after they’re listed.
I can wait a long time, and if it never goes down, I will stay put. I have a very nice condo, I am just interested in moving back to North Asheville at some point. I won’t buy until the market is more balanced. I don’t like overpaying for anything. I am smart with my money and worked too hard to blow it on a overpriced house.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:46 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
How about a different direction from Asheville? Burnsville is one option and since the completion of highway upgrades on 19E a much easier trip to/from. Listings like these seems possible and most likely out of the bidding war realm of properties closer to Asheville.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M55385-57776
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M58658-99796
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M96831-86213

Old 03-30-2023, 03:51 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Here in Waynesville...slim pickings in your budget range.
GL, mD

https://www.zillow.com/waynesville-n...e%22%3Atrue%7D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina