Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 09:54 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How about a different direction from Asheville? Burnsville is one option and since the completion of highway upgrades on 19E a much easier trip to/from. Listings like these seems possible and most likely out of the bidding war realm of properties closer to Asheville.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M55385-57776
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M58658-99796
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M96831-86213
I really like the Alpine Village community. While I'd like to be closer to Asheville, I work mostly remote, and can go into the office on the days I need something from there. It's close to the hiking I enjoy and a higher elevation in the summer.

That's sort of what I'm looking for. This isn't going to be a forever home, and I'd like something that we could either make a second home, or possibly rent out for extra income. I was also thinking something like this around Lake James, possibly Lake Lure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 10:25 PM

48 posts, read 47,566 times
Have you considered Marion? I know it's the wrong direction from your girlfriend, but it's a straight shot from Asheville via I-40. I wasn't paying attention of the travel time when I drove it this week but Google says it's 39 minutes. This is the second townhome I've seen in this price point, and it's new construction. The Ingles in town is the size of a football field.
https://www.compass.com/listing/41-d...5171096510969/

Old 04-06-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knit2purl1 View Post
Have you considered Marion? I know it's the wrong direction from your girlfriend, but it's a straight shot from Asheville via I-40. I wasn't paying attention of the travel time when I drove it this week but Google says it's 39 minutes. This is the second townhome I've seen in this price point, and it's new construction. The Ingles in town is the size of a football field.
https://www.compass.com/listing/41-d...5171096510969/
I like the Marion area as well. It's close to the lake - great for the summer, and property prices are more reasonable. There's enough there without having to go back to Asheville for everything. There's a YMCA, Ingles, Walmart - some basic shopping. I'm usually out that way a couple of times a summer at least.

I'd probably be fine with a small house on a small, flattish lot. I don't want a big yard, steep hills, or something that is going to tie me up all the time.

Marion is just under an hour to her house.

Old 04-09-2023, 03:45 PM

We spent a good bit of the day househunting.

Someone posted a new townhome in Marion. We went by that - nice unit, but the neighborhood had very close homes with overgrown yards, etc. We checked out a few other places in Marion, but the downtown has very few businesses, it seems to have seen better days, and most of the development is along the interstate, away from the city. Buying there seems like a real risk.

The Azalea unit in Burnsville has a Burnsville address, but is about half an hour southeast of the city. Too remote.

We went through Black Mountain - basically nothing in my price range and there’s nothing worthwhile about the place anyway.

I also looked at places online in Weaverville, Mars Hill, Marshall - pickings are very slim for anything. I’m not hopeful.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:47 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We spent a good bit of the day househunting.

Someone posted a new townhome in Marion. We went by that - nice unit, but the neighborhood had very close homes with overgrown yards, etc. We checked out a few other places in Marion, but the downtown has very few businesses, it seems to have seen better days, and most of the development is along the interstate, away from the city. Buying there seems like a real risk.

The Azalea unit in Burnsville has a Burnsville address, but is about half an hour southeast of the city. Too remote.

We went through Black Mountain - basically nothing in my price range and there’s nothing worthwhile about the place anyway.

I also looked at places online in Weaverville, Mars Hill, Marshall - pickings are very slim for anything. I’m not hopeful.
It may boil down to how much you’re willing to compromise..

Old 04-09-2023, 09:58 PM

48 posts, read 47,566 times
I've developed a skill for using the real estate sites to glean lots of information regarding location, neighborhood etc between using Google Maps and the "streetview" function. It's definitely common to list places by the nearest recognizable town, even if it is ten miles out, which got me started using the "map" tab before even looking at the photos or the description. Good luck on your house hunt.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It may boil down to how much you’re willing to compromise..
I'm going to look at the cities south of Asheville - primarily Hendersonville, maybe Brevard.

My thinking was that things might get a good bit cheaper that far out, but Marion is about an hour from her house.

I've stopped off the interstate in Marion where the Walmart and some other big box places are a few times, but never went downtown. The actual city is another five to ten minutes from the interstate. There's just not a lot there - clearly, it's seen better days. I think it could take off being reasonably close to Asheville, but that's a crapshoot.

If I'm not going to get a "discount" compared to Asheville, I might as well live there.

I did a search for Asheville with a max of $200k and hiding pending/contingent this morning. There were no listings in Asheville - there was one nice condo near Swannanoa.

I'll be frank - this is discouraging. We're coming into the spring selling season, and there's minimal inventory, prices are high, and there's just not much to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knit2purl1 View Post
I've developed a skill for using the real estate sites to glean lots of information regarding location, neighborhood etc between using Google Maps and the "streetview" function. It's definitely common to list places by the nearest recognizable town, even if it is ten miles out, which got me started using the "map" tab before even looking at the photos or the description. Good luck on your house hunt.
I did look at Google Maps for the condos in Marion, but it was a dated view. The location wasn't completely terrible, but the street definitely had some older homes that needed a lot of lawn maintenance.

We didn't go to the condo at Alpine Village. It was just too far out, and honestly, probably not much closer to her than I am now.

I may go down to Hendersonville this weekend. We've been to Brevard in the last few weeks. I've hit up anything reasonably close that is north of Asheville already.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:17 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
I'm going to look at the cities south of Asheville - primarily Hendersonville, maybe Brevard.

My thinking was that things might get a good bit cheaper that far out, but Marion is about an hour from her house.

I've stopped off the interstate in Marion where the Walmart and some other big box places are a few times, but never went downtown. The actual city is another five to ten minutes from the interstate. There's just not a lot there - clearly, it's seen better days. I think it could take off being reasonably close to Asheville, but that's a crapshoot.

If I'm not going to get a "discount" compared to Asheville, I might as well live there.

I did a search for Asheville with a max of $200k and hiding pending/contingent this morning. There were no listings in Asheville - there was one nice condo near Swannanoa.

I'll be frank - this is discouraging. We're coming into the spring selling season, and there's minimal inventory, prices are high, and there's just not much to choose from.

I did look at Google Maps for the condos in Marion, but it was a dated view. The location wasn't completely terrible, but the street definitely had some older homes that needed a lot of lawn maintenance.

We didn't go to the condo at Alpine Village. It was just too far out, and honestly, probably not much closer to her than I am now.

I may go down to Hendersonville this weekend. We've been to Brevard in the last few weeks. I've hit up anything reasonably close that is north of Asheville already.
Possibility? https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M52233-29448

Old 04-10-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I really like that. Mills River is not the prettiest place, but that's a nice house. I really haven't spent that much time looking west of the city either. The traffic going back to Asheville sucks from Mills River area, but that's the biggest drawback.

I'd rarely be going through there at rush hour, so maybe it won't be as big of an issue.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
I accepted a mostly remote position in Asheville a few months ago. I'm currently in Bristol, TN. I'd have a budget up to around $250k with the proceeds of selling my current home. I've been looking to move to western NC anyway before the job, but finding anything decent for what I can afford has been a struggle.

Here is what I'm looking for.

1) My girlfriend lives between Weaverville and Marshall. I'd like to be no more than an hour from there - generally, the closer to Asheville, the better.

2) Townhome or condo is preferred. A small home on a flat/gently rolling lot under half an acre might work.

It's unlikely I'd want anything that shares a common indoor entrance - where the entrance to my unit would be inside in a common area. No "split up houses."

3) 2BR/2BA minimum, would prefer 3BR, or at least some sort of bonus space for a home office. Garage preferred but not required.

4) It doesn't have to be cosmetically perfect - I'm fine with painting, potentially new flooring, etc., but I don't want a major fixer-upper.

I'm having a hard time finding anything within thirty minutes or so of Asheville that meets these criteria. It's either too expensive, just land, or a small, older house that's going to need major work.

I'm trying to think out of the box - maybe a condo at Wolf Laurel, Lake Lure, possibly Lake James? Hendersonville, maybe even Brevard could work as well.

Thoughts?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...ource=txtshare

I know this is slightly over budget but if you could go up, this is in a nice area, close to everything. Oakley neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina