Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 04:18 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,285,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I got my hands slapped for posting listings, moderators said it was advertising, that’s why I didn’t link it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 05:01 PM

90 posts, read 66,754 times
Nice finds.
Are they typical?
Been delaying return visit to Asheville for two years because if covid and other reasons.
In the meantime, friends have been recommending Wilmington.
Yes, I know the main difference is mountains vs beach.
Why else Asheville? better shopping? healthcare? what else?
Appreciate opinions.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I got my hands slapped for posting listings, moderators said it was advertising, that’s why I didn’t link it.
Oh, I had no idea...

Old 04-27-2023, 09:02 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post
Nice finds.
Are they typical?
Been delaying return visit to Asheville for two years because if covid and other reasons.
In the meantime, friends have been recommending Wilmington.
Yes, I know the main difference is mountains vs beach.
Why else Asheville? better shopping? healthcare? what else?
Appreciate opinions.
Honestly, I love Asheville. There are things about the city and county that I don't like as I've learned more working for a government entity in the area, but overall, I do think the local governments have their hearts in the right place, even though I think they are misguided in some areas.

The shopping is better than average for a city of its size. Given the affluence and focus on locally sourced products, there's a wider variety than you might expect given a city of this size and its location.

It's a cultural center - more than beer. Asheville has some of the best dining, nightlife, and music scene for a city its size in the South.

There are complaints about the healthcare, but I'm coming from an even worse reference point in northeast TN.

Asheville has a good airport that can get you to most common regional destinations on at least the East Coast and throughout much of the Midwest. It's two or so hours to Charlotte if you need the bigger airport or big city things.

The only thing it really needs for mainstream shopping is Costco, but that is more due to a lack of an available piece of land than anything else. There are Costcos in Spartanburg and Greenville.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Here's a link with some ideas and approximate cost

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/log-cabin-kits/

It seems like you can get a lot with electricity and well/septic along with the cabin for around 100K-125K all-in.
This is something I'd have to really research extensively, but I'm not seeing a lot of value-add here.

Here's what one of the kit companies on this site said is NOT included.

• foundation • basement & deck support post • any masonry items • labor to construct • plumbing, heating, and electrical materials • kitchen cabinets • countertops • finish flooring • stains or finishes • roof insulation • nails • bolts • flashing • vents • stairs to grade and miscellaneous items

I'm not familiar with the costs of all this, but my heat pump replacement in 2021 in my current house was about $10,000 alone. That's just the swap of the interior and exterior units.

This could easily double the cost of the whole unit, maybe more.

I just ran across a 1,300 sq. ft. - nice, but basic finished log cabin on five acres - in Burnsville - for half a million.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:08 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is something I'd have to really research extensively, but I'm not seeing a lot of value-add here.

Here's what one of the kit companies on this site said is NOT included.

• foundation • basement & deck support post • any masonry items • labor to construct • plumbing, heating, and electrical materials • kitchen cabinets • countertops • finish flooring • stains or finishes • roof insulation • nails • bolts • flashing • vents • stairs to grade and miscellaneous items

I'm not familiar with the costs of all this, but my heat pump replacement in 2021 in my current house was about $10,000 alone. That's just the swap of the interior and exterior units.

This could easily double the cost of the whole unit, maybe more.

I just ran across a 1,300 sq. ft. - nice, but basic finished log cabin on five acres - in Burnsville - for half a million.
It's crazy how log homes have exploded in cost. Perhaps consider a modular home which have come a long way in terms of quality and appearance. This builder is quoting from the 140s for a 3/2 home with around 1800 square feet. https://www.claytonhomes.com/find-a-...Id=2&features=

Old 05-02-2023, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's crazy how log homes have exploded in cost. Perhaps consider a modular home which have come a long way in terms of quality and appearance. This builder is quoting from the 140s for a 3/2 home with around 1800 square feet. https://www.claytonhomes.com/find-a-...Id=2&features=
At some point, I don't see how the half million dollar cabins in areas like Burnsville is sustainable.

Burnsville is tiny, and far from Asheville. There's really not much there aside from a few restaurants and an Ingles.

Most people are going to tire of that drive back to Asheville for anything of consequence. I can't imagine that a Burnsville gets the out of area and moneyed interest that places closer to Asheville or Boone might get.

The whole line of reasoning for fanning further out was cheaper prices. If that's not going to happen, there's no point in me going that far out. If price isn't going to be a huge factor, I might as well either be closer to Asheville, or out of the immediate area entirely.

I'm an hour and a half from my girlfriend right now. Even moving closer to her in TN will cut the drive down 30-45 minutes. I am not a fan of Tennessee, but the prices are just so much more reasonable.

If she's willing to either move herself (hates her job at the moment), around Greenville would be an option, and that would be my preference anyway.

I'm thinking the modular idea is really the only way to get something decent for an SFH in WNC at my budget.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:14 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
At some point, I don't see how the half million dollar cabins in areas like Burnsville is sustainable.

Burnsville is tiny, and far from Asheville. There's really not much there aside from a few restaurants and an Ingles.

Most people are going to tire of that drive back to Asheville for anything of consequence. I can't imagine that a Burnsville gets the out of area and moneyed interest that places closer to Asheville or Boone might get.

The whole line of reasoning for fanning further out was cheaper prices. If that's not going to happen, there's no point in me going that far out. If price isn't going to be a huge factor, I might as well either be closer to Asheville, or out of the immediate area entirely.

I'm an hour and a half from my girlfriend right now. Even moving closer to her in TN will cut the drive down 30-45 minutes. I am not a fan of Tennessee, but the prices are just so much more reasonable.

If she's willing to either move herself (hates her job at the moment), around Greenville would be an option, and that would be my preference anyway.

I'm thinking the modular idea is really the only way to get something decent for an SFH in WNC at my budget.
We’ve driven to Burnsville a couple of times on day trips. It is scenic there, but quite isolated and there doesn’t seem to be a lot going on there. It makes sense that real estate prices would be somewhat less expensive there. To each his/her own, but this area would not appeal to us if we were in the market for real estate.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We’ve driven to Burnsville a couple of times on day trips. It is scenic there, but quite isolated and there doesn’t seem to be a lot going on there. It makes sense that real estate prices would be somewhat less expensive there. To each his/her own, but this area would not appeal to us if we were in the market for real estate.
That's my complaint about the whole region.

If you're reasonably close to Asheville, prices are through the roof. Even places like Marshall that are not that far away have a lot of issues and are not appealing in and of themselves, but the prices are much worse than places in VA/SC/TN that do have a lot more intrinsic

Being 30-40 minutes away from Asheville in a place like Marshall that has basically nothing local does nothing for me. I might as well just stay where I am. My girlfriend is between Marshall and Weaverville - Weaverville has some big box shopping, a good Ingles and Publix, a couple of nice local restaurants, three breweries, so it's fine, but prices are through the roof. She's only ten minutes from Weaverville, but bought years ago. I couldn't afford where she is now.

If her kids are gone, and we shared finances, we could afford a $3,000/month easily. That would get us a nice home. Where I'm struggling is trying to do it all on my own in an expensive area.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:26 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
That's my complaint about the whole region.

If you're reasonably close to Asheville, prices are through the roof. Even places like Marshall that are not that far away have a lot of issues and are not appealing in and of themselves, but the prices are much worse than places in VA/SC/TN that do have a lot more intrinsic

Being 30-40 minutes away from Asheville in a place like Marshall that has basically nothing local does nothing for me. I might as well just stay where I am. My girlfriend is between Marshall and Weaverville - Weaverville has some big box shopping, a good Ingles and Publix, a couple of nice local restaurants, three breweries, so it's fine, but prices are through the roof. She's only ten minutes from Weaverville, but bought years ago. I couldn't afford where she is now.

If her kids are gone, and we shared finances, we could afford a $3,000/month easily. That would get us a nice home. Where I'm struggling is trying to do it all on my own in an expensive area.
The issue is that Asheville has like 90K residents and the entire metro area around 475K. What makes Asheville such an attraction is basically the city center, so the desirability may drop off as you move further out but the home prices stay when factoring reasonable accessibility. Many will argue it's the vacation home element but that encompasses a much larger area, and a lot of price fluctuation which makes it more a myth in my opinion. Asheville is the draw at the end of the day. This is where thinking outside the box comes into play and checking out the emerging alternative housing industry for options like modular builds (shipping containers, pre-cut log) that are viable choices for those not willing to wait it out (may never happen), or to shift the search someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina