Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 10:16 PM

48 posts, read 47,566 times

Advertisements

Hey SC,
Have you had any luck house hunting? I just saw this come up, it's SW of Morganton off 64, a quick jog to 40 then you're in Asheville but you're also a short drive from Morganton and Hickory. I thought the heated garage with half bath might even become a rental.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M69968-88778
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 04:55 AM

788 posts, read 783,933 times
The OP seems to have far to many requirements for his budget and this his problem to figure out . Then there his need for a COSTCO and to be near his girl friend. There are no COSTCO's near us so he might need to learn to deal with SAM'S .

Old 05-20-2023, 03:52 PM

55 posts, read 29,457 times
Anything decent for 250K or less is tough. If there is anything relatively decent it is under contract super-fast.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:44 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I went down to Hendersonville today to look at properties.

There were seventeen properties under $275k. I drove by six of those. Two of the condos were well within budget, but one’s COA was getting ready to do a special assessment for stairs and a roof. The other was close to downtown.

I did find several others I liked, but those were in 55+ communities. I went to some places off Dana Road, Brookland Manor, Classic Oaks, and Katie Drive.

I walked through the downtown area - it was nice but nothing spectacular. It took maybe forty minutes to get back to my girlfriend’s.

I drove through some of the retail areas along 64 and those areas had clearly seen better days. There are nice areas, but also lots of areas that feel left behind.

Realistically it would likely be end of summer, maybe later, before I could move. I need to thin some stuff out first. My grandparents are in very poor health as it is, and probably won’t make it much longer.

My parents are also planning on moving out of TN. One thing I like about the Hendersonville area is that it’s relatively close to both Asheville, Greenville, other parts of the upstate, and less than two hours from Charlotte.

I didn’t see anything I was smitten with, but out of all the “not Asheville” towns I’ve been in where I could reasonably live, I liked Hendersonville best, and it had some of the most reasonable prices.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:05 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I went down to Hendersonville today to look at properties.

There were seventeen properties under $275k. I drove by six of those. Two of the condos were well within budget, but one’s COA was getting ready to do a special assessment for stairs and a roof. The other was close to downtown.

I did find several others I liked, but those were in 55+ communities. I went to some places off Dana Road, Brookland Manor, Classic Oaks, and Katie Drive.

I walked through the downtown area - it was nice but nothing spectacular. It took maybe forty minutes to get back to my girlfriend’s.

I drove through some of the retail areas along 64 and those areas had clearly seen better days. There are nice areas, but also lots of areas that feel left behind.

Realistically it would likely be end of summer, maybe later, before I could move. I need to thin some stuff out first. My grandparents are in very poor health as it is, and probably won’t make it much longer.

My parents are also planning on moving out of TN. One thing I like about the Hendersonville area is that it’s relatively close to both Asheville, Greenville, other parts of the upstate, and less than two hours from Charlotte.

I didn’t see anything I was smitten with, but out of all the “not Asheville” towns I’ve been in where I could reasonably live, I liked Hendersonville best, and it had some of the most reasonable prices.
The average age in Hendersonville definitely tends to be older, as is true in many places in WNC. I can see for someone your age, likely looking for more nightlife, it would fall short of being ‘spectacular’, but regardless, it is a really nice town. It is an early town; as we are late night owls, I do wish things stayed open later. Once the interstate is completed, you will likely make it to your girlfriend’s faster. Have you considered the Mills River area? It would put you closer to Asheville.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The average age in Hendersonville definitely tends to be older, as is true in many places in WNC. I can see for someone your age, likely looking for more nightlife, it would fall short of being ‘spectacular’, but regardless, it is a really nice town. It is an early town; as we are late night owls, I do wish things stayed open later. Once the interstate is completed, you will likely make it to your girlfriend’s faster. Have you considered the Mills River area? It would put you closer to Asheville.
Occasionally but the lack of inventory is just striking in most of the areas I’ve looked in. At a minimum, there are some options in Hendersonville, with it being the most livable of the cities I’ve looked into. I did some neighborhoods I liked, but most had nothing available.

Honestly at this point I am still leaning toward the upstate. Hendersonville was the best of a lot of small cities - many of which are lacking a lot.

The $250k could get me something a few years old or possibly new in SC. My parents won’t be able to afford NC.

There are other inconveniences of these small cities you don’t often think about. My girlfriend has been looking for someone to plumb an unfinished basement and can hardly get any call backs. I called several places in north Asheville and Weaverville to see if we could have someone pick up a riding mower for service - apparently that’s not a thing around here. There’s no trash pickup here. There’s no way I’d want to live rural. Sure, I could find something somewhere like Marion, but the town has seen better days, and I’m trying to get away from the poor Appalachia vibe.

I’m going to keep looking - I don’t have to make an immediate decision.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Occasionally but the lack of inventory is just striking in most of the areas I’ve looked in. At a minimum, there are some options in Hendersonville, with it being the most livable of the cities I’ve looked into. I did some neighborhoods I liked, but most had nothing available.

Honestly at this point I am still leaning toward the upstate. Hendersonville was the best of a lot of small cities - many of which are lacking a lot.

The $250k could get me something a few years old or possibly new in SC. My parents won’t be able to afford NC.

There are other inconveniences of these small cities you don’t often think about. My girlfriend has been looking for someone to plumb an unfinished basement and can hardly get any call backs. I called several places in north Asheville and Weaverville to see if we could have someone pick up a riding mower for service - apparently that’s not a thing around here. There’s no trash pickup here. There’s no way I’d want to live rural. Sure, I could find something somewhere like Marion, but the town has seen better days, and I’m trying to get away from the poor Appalachia vibe.

I’m going to keep looking - I don’t have to make an immediate decision.
You can definitely get more house for your money in SC, but you’d be further from your girlfriend. We’ve found Hendersonville to be a very livable town. My only criticism, as I’ve spoken about before, is the medical care needs to be better. We have found service people (electricians, plumbers, etc) to be excellent in Hendersonville. Usually, there isn’t a long wait for them to come.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You can definitely get more house for your money in SC, but you’d be further from your girlfriend. We’ve found Hendersonville to be a very livable town. My only criticism, as I’ve spoken about before, is the medical care needs to be better. We have found service people (electricians, plumbers, etc) to be excellent in Hendersonville. Usually, there isn’t a long wait for them to come.
We went back to Hendersonville yesterday after the Tourists game.

I don't think either of the two condos I mentioned earlier would be a good fit. We got out and took a look around the building on the first one - there were a lot of issues with the building itself where it seemed it would be a money pit of special assessments. The second had limited/bad parking.

We ate dinner at Mezzaluna - there was a surprising number of people out for a Sunday evening. There were quite a few nice restaurants and such downtown.

I like the area going south past the Publix. Those have some older established neighborhoods with great tree cover. It's close to downtown and relatively close to the interstate.

I've checked some into Pardee, and it's much better than the local hospitals we rely on. I'd feel more comfortable under the UNC footprint than here.

There's enough there to make me want to keep an eye on it.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
We went back to Hendersonville yesterday after the Tourists game.

I don't think either of the two condos I mentioned earlier would be a good fit. We got out and took a look around the building on the first one - there were a lot of issues with the building itself where it seemed it would be a money pit of special assessments. The second had limited/bad parking.

We ate dinner at Mezzaluna - there was a surprising number of people out for a Sunday evening. There were quite a few nice restaurants and such downtown.

I like the area going south past the Publix. Those have some older established neighborhoods with great tree cover. It's close to downtown and relatively close to the interstate.

I've checked some into Pardee, and it's much better than the local hospitals we rely on. I'd feel more comfortable under the UNC footprint than here.

There's enough there to make me want to keep an eye on it.
The nicest parts of Hendersonville are south and southwest of downtown Hendersonville. There are some really nice residential areas near Flat Rock, Laurel Park and out Kanuga Rd.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The nicest parts of Hendersonville are south and southwest of downtown Hendersonville. There are some really nice residential areas near Flat Rock, Laurel Park and out Kanuga Rd.
I ran a search this morning of any condos/townhomes in Asheville under $250k, hiding pending/contingent listings. There were none available.

The searched fanned out fifteen or twenty miles. There was a nice unit in Black Mountain - one coming on the market in Hendersonville, but realistically there isn't much in the entire area. Anything seems to go pending almost immediately.

I did see some condos at Lake Lure that are well within budget, but they are extremely small (~500 sq. ft), and doubt this would be practical.

I've started Googling up "NC ski resort condos," and that seems to be the most promising. I'd definitely use the amenities. While not perfect, this could be a profitable investment down the line, and it's not going to be a forever home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina