Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 06:27 AM

22 posts, read 27,199 times

Advertisements

I am hearing that the new Commercial Metal steel plant will be somewhere in the Spring Mills area - I wonder if it will be at the old DuPont site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 06:47 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbrown View Post
I am hearing that the new Commercial Metal steel plant will be somewhere in the Spring Mills area - I wonder if it will be at the old DuPont site?
I believe so. I saw a map somewhere placing it behind Spring Mills High School. So if it’s not on it, it’s definitely near it.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:40 AM

That will be an interesting mix for that area - schools, large housing developments, retail shopping centers, warehousing and now industrial manufacturing. That seems like it will put a lot of stress on the already busy roads and intersections - I wonder if there are plans for improvements/upgrades to the roads?

Old 01-09-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbrown View Post
That will be an interesting mix for that area - schools, large housing developments, retail shopping centers, warehousing and now industrial manufacturing. That seems like it will put a lot of stress on the already busy roads and intersections - I wonder if there are plans for improvements/upgrades to the roads?
I haven’t heard of anything yet, but it could be in the works. Northern Berkeley County (Spring Mills/Falling Waters/Marlowe) is absolutely exploding right now with residential and commercial growth. Despite this, several of the main roads are the same as they have been for many years.

I hope some of the federal money the state has received for infrastructure will make its way to this high-growth area.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:04 PM

19,503 posts, read 9,528,287 times
It gets really crazy around those two traffic lights by the exit lanes to I-81 and Foxcroft Ave/The Commons, especially with the huge trucks. I know we need them for transportation of goods but maybe there’s other ways to direct them with alternate roads that will make it easier for both?

Retiming of the traffic lights by Foxcroft? Another way from near Lowes down to the shopping (Walmart, etcetera)?
People still confused which lane they need/want to be in - last minute lane changes. Not sure how to correct?

Old 01-10-2023, 07:14 AM

I agree, I really hope getting that infrastructure money can help alleviate some of the traffic issues, not only for the Spring Mills area but the county as a whole - this area has grown exponentially over the years but the road system has not kept up.

Old 01-10-2023, 04:29 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
I was looking at Google Maps and had an idea of some infrastructure improvements for the EP. They should create a 4 lane road that would connect I-81 (via Tabler Station Rd. and Novak Dr.) and eventually link up to the Short Rd. exit of WV 9 (near Coast Guard facilities). That would create a shortcut for trucks, avoiding the lights and mess at exit 12 of 81. It would also open up the southside of the airport for development. After upgrading Novak to 4 or 5 lanes, the new road would only be an additional 3-4 miles depending on its exact route. I understand that there's farms through there, but I believe that the demand would be justifiable for some land acquisition by the state.

Thoughts?

Old 01-11-2023, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I was looking at Google Maps and had an idea of some infrastructure improvements for the EP. They should create a 4 lane road that would connect I-81 (via Tabler Station Rd. and Novak Dr.) and eventually link up to the Short Rd. exit of WV 9 (near Coast Guard facilities). That would create a shortcut for trucks, avoiding the lights and mess at exit 12 of 81. It would also open up the southside of the airport for development. After upgrading Novak to 4 or 5 lanes, the new road would only be an additional 3-4 miles depending on its exact route. I understand that there's farms through there, but I believe that the demand would be justifiable for some land acquisition by the state.

Thoughts?
I think that’s a great idea. It’s probably the closest we could get to a true bypass around Apple Harvest Drive. There were talks maybe 5 years ago or so about extending Short Road, but I haven’t seen or heard any movement since.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:14 AM

I agree, anything to alleviate the congestion in that area would be great and being able to give the trucks a bypass around the heavy traffic area would also make it much safer - I also wish something could be done in the Spring Mill and Hedgesville areas, route 9, 11 and 901 are also extremely busy with more housing developments and businesses being built.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:30 PM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
It gets really crazy around those two traffic lights by the exit lanes to I-81 and Foxcroft Ave/The Commons, especially with the huge trucks. I know we need them for transportation of goods but maybe there’s other ways to direct them with alternate roads that will make it easier for both?

Retiming of the traffic lights by Foxcroft? Another way from near Lowes down to the shopping (Walmart, etcetera)?
People still confused which lane they need/want to be in - last minute lane changes. Not sure how to correct?

the hardest part of my drive home from martinsburg to Pitt, is the last mile on 9 past the jail, to that light on foxtrot and all the gymastics the drivers pull every day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia