Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 08:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndTrees View Post
Interesting correlation in WV between interstate highways and Covid-19 cases. Figures are April 10, 2020.

Eastern Panhandle I81: Berkley 89, Jefferson 46, and Morgan above Berkley only 5.
Going down the VA border from Hampshire 3 to Monroe 1, the counties have 0 to 3 cases

PA border I79 South: Monongalia 78, Marion 32, and Harrison 28. At the border: Preston 6
But south Lewis 2, east Taylor 3, Barbour 4, Upshur 3. On the west Doddridge 0.

Northern Panhandle I70: Hancock 7, Brooke 3, Ohio 21, Marshall 6.
Along the Ohio River: Wetzel 3, Tyler 3, Pleasants 1.

I77 cuts thru Wood 18, and curves thru Jackson 23 to Kanawha 82.

West of Kanawha are Putnam 7 and Mason 10 on the river.
I64 West- Kanawha to Huntington, Cabell 21 and Wayne 17.

Going South and East there are fewer cases:
I64 East/I77 South- to Beckly in Raleigh 5 then I64 East Summers 0 and Greenbrier 3.
I77 South- Mercer 8 but the counties on either side have 0 and 1.
On the Va border McDowell 4 cases.

I think there are still 11 counties with 0 cases.
Would be interesting to see if rural areas of MD, Ohio, PA, and VA have the same correlation.
I think your issue would be that those counties along the interstates are also generally the most populated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 07:30 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Hang in there everyone! We are super fortunate that we haven’t experienced the shear volume of cases and deaths that other places have. Just keep the course and we will preserve just like West Virginians have always done so.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Good news:
1-We have tested a higher percentage of our population than the US and all contiguous states except PA
2-Over 96% of those tested have been negative
3-We still have ten counties without a single case
4-Recuperation is happening mostly in-home without hospitalization.

Random Questions that come and go in my mind:
1-Is it density of population that is helping us?
2-Does this mean that we will end up stretching out the virus because we have done well through other states' surge?
3-If number two is a Yes, when do we let herd immunity run its course, if ever?
4-Did we have this virus in WV during Dec-Feb as some people now feel like they had these symptoms for two weeks?
5-Can the world live like this for 12-18 months without collapsing the economy?
6-Why are we putting all our eggs in a vaccine basket and not emphasizing successful treatments?

Humor: Did you ever think there would ever be real "cooties" where you cannot touch anything or anybody?

Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Nearly 100 residents, employees of Jackson County facility test positive for coronavirus

RIPLEY, W.Va. — Ninety-six residents and staff of a Jackson County long-term health care facility have tested for the coronavirus.
WV MetroNews Nearly 100 residents, employees of Jackson County facility test positive for coronavirus - WV MetroNews

Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Hi all, I haven't stopped in in a while. How quickly is WV reopening? Looks like you're in about the same shape in cases as we are in Idaho, with 0-1 death a day typically. Our governor is a bit of a disappointment, with opening happening pretty slowly, given the low case and death count. We opened up churches and daycare on May 1st (with restrictions of course), restaurants not until the 16th and bars on the 31st. I'm hoping you guys were able to get back to normal more quickly.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:06 AM

110 posts, read 224,195 times
British Daily Mail ignores the fact the WV has less total positive cases than NY has had cases some days.
Ten states - mostly in the South - have not seen a single week of improvement in coronavirus cases while previous hotspots, such as New York and New Jersey, report a drop in infections
By Mary Kekatos For Dailymail.com
Published: 08:59 EDT, 29 May 2020 | Updated: 09:57 EDT, 29 May 2020

Ten states have not seen a single week of improvement including Alabama, Arkansas, Maine, Mississippi, South Carolina, Utah and West Virginia
West Virginia saw a 150 percent spike in cases over the last week and Arkansas saw a 66 percent surge - the two highest across the US

West Virginia saw the biggest spike in weekly cases, according to data from both the health department and the COVID Tracking Project.
The state was the last US state to report cases of COVID-19, the highly-infectious disease caused by the virus.

The R0 (R-naught value) for the Mountain State - a mathematical term that indicates how contagious an infectious disease is - currently at 1.
The numbers that follows 'R' tells you the average number of people who will contract the disease from an infected person.
At midweek, the R-naught value for West Virginia was 7.05, particularly after more than 100 cases were confirmed at a state prison, reported WV Metro News.

However, Gov Jim Justice, a Republican, says he is satisfied with the way the state's numbers stand.
'West Virginia, keep on doing it. You're doing great. Proud of you,' Justice said at the end of a Thursday press conference

He attributed the rise in cases to the 105 confirmed infections among inmates at Huttonsville Correctional Center in Randolph County.
Justice has now pledged to test all staff and inmates in the state's corrections system, which has been severely lacking.
WV Metro News reports that just 43 inmates at West Virginia's other 10 prisons aside from Huntsville, had been tested as of Wednesday night. Across the 10 regional jails, only 93 tests had been performed.

The state, despite its rise in infections, has not been as aggressive in reopening with small businesses that have fewer than 10 employees allowed to reopen as of May 4
Hair salons, nail parlors, pet groomers and restaurants with outdoor dining were also allowed to resume business, with restrictions.

[never mentioned in the article are the other 3 states - I'm guessing MO, TN, and VA]
WV info seems to all be from the MetroNews article "Justice cites Huttonsville prison cases for West Virginia's growing coronavirus numbers". By Brad McElhinny in News | May 28, 2020 at 3:49PM

Old 07-21-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
WVU students face fines for no virus test

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia University students will face penalties and discipline if they fail to get tested for the coronavirus and complete a COVID-19 education course before returning to campus next month, the university said Tuesday.

WVU began sending registration emails Monday to students on the Morgantown campus, with information on getting the free coronavirus tests, starting Monday at several locations. Faculty, staff and students at the Beckley and Keyser campuses will receive similar emails on Aug. 3, Dean of Students Corey Farris said in a letter to students.

All students and employees must be tested, and students must also complete a virus education course prior to returning to campus, Farris said. Students who fail to do so will be fined $250 and referred to the Office of Student Conduct, the letter said.

The wearing of masks or face coverings will be required on campus. Students who fail to comply face discipline, which can include a written warning, removal from class, probation, suspension or expulsion, the letter said.
https://www.register-herald.com/regi...325f14e3b.html

Old 10-07-2020, 02:06 PM

11 posts, read 16,160 times
Default Shopping

It’s unfortunate that this kind of information has to be said, but for those who have a problem with the mask requirement or need employment where mask wearing is not enforced, Weis is your place to go.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:04 AM

85 posts, read 83,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzleigh View Post
It’s unfortunate that this kind of information has to be said, but for those who have a problem with the mask requirement or need employment where mask wearing is not enforced, Weis is your place to go.
Yes, damn people for trying to do their part in containing a spread during a pandemic by wearing a mask.

And here we are, 6 months later...medical professionals (not Heehaw George on FB or conservatives that still think science is a hoax) warned what would happen if the public disregarded practices and *shocker* we're right where they said we'd be. This pandemic only confirmed what many already knew about this country - its public is selfish, stupid and arrogant.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:33 PM

15 posts, read 10,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
Yes, damn people for trying to do their part in containing a spread during a pandemic by wearing a mask.

And here we are, 6 months later...medical professionals (not Heehaw George on FB or conservatives that still think science is a hoax) warned what would happen if the public disregarded practices and *shocker* we're right where they said we'd be. This pandemic only confirmed what many already knew about this country - its public is selfish, stupid and arrogant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EN...ture=emb_title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia