Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 03:30 AM

208 posts, read 145,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I think it is where you live, not where you work, that determines income tax.

So if working remotely in WA but for a CA based employer, you file as a WA resident... so no state income tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Yes. I was working remotely while living in AZ, but the company I work for is based in CA. I paid AZ income tax.
No, the jurisdiction in which you work has priority to tax your income, and the jurisdiction in which you live has to provide a tax credit for income tax paid to the jurisdiction in which you work. And both of your examples show that.

For a W-2 employee, where a boss sits is irrelevant. All labor laws and taxes apply for whatever jurisdiction the employee is working in, and having an employee establishes a nexus for the business in that jurisdiction. So an employee working in AZ works for an AZ business even if all the other employees work in CA (who work for a CA business). A business is not restricted to being on one state, it has to comply with the laws and taxes of all the jurisdictions it operates in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comptr...yland_v._Wynne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 10:08 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Does anyone know the status of HJR 4200 that was proposed last year by Jim Walsh which would create a statewide property tax cap like Prop 13 in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington