Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 07:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Time for us to "rotate out" for the next wave of rich out of staters seeking their "no income tax haven" ...
That's the thing about our state. If you are middle income and pay $10,000 in property tax it's about the same amount as property tax might have been. If your property tax is more than that, you would have been better off with the income tax. If you are rich that same property tax is far less than a 10% income tax would have been. That makes it a great place for the rich folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 09:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I wish no income tax was universally helpful... but, you can be a Washingtonian but if earning in California you pay California Income Tax.

My flaw was thinking property tax as sustainable with the passage of I-747.
Not at my CA based employer.

They made our WA job vacancies, "internal to company only."
There were surplus (but worthless) employees in CA (WA manager was forced to hire them, but complained profusely they were not qualified)
Paid move to WA with 6 month bonus pay for 'pain and suffering' of moving to WA

Plus... Retained CA wage rate, which resulted in WA employees not getting performance increases for 6-10 yrs.

CA incompetent transferees took the upper band of payscale, not because of performance or merit, so the result. (As expected)

Contention:
CA transfers paid WAY too much for homes, just to avoid taxes on capital gains. They would add improvements, including basements under new houses, just to shelter taxes)
CA coworker incessantly complaining about WA workers "working too hard", making CA incompetents look bad. (That was easy)
Excellent WA employees left the company. (Those financially able)
Product and performance / company revenue suffered
Daily social pressures led to an industrial psychologist counseling the work group (for over a year). - lost productivity. Ironically, some CA transplants went out on FT disability (and moved back to CA)

As expected .... It was a costly mess, and WA workforce is but a shadow of it's previous innovation. (Happened in CO, OR, ID also). Accommodating to a fault. Many of the CA transplants remain, wondering what happened to the WA workforce.
Nothing's being innovated, just maintained.
Innovation and personal contribution were destroyed. (Surprise? Not)
90% of CA transferees retreat to CA prop 13 for retirement, and keep their WA an OR vacation props.

WA Tax assessor is happy.
Mission accomplished.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:55 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's the thing about our state. If you are middle income and pay $10,000 in property tax it's about the same amount as property tax might have been. If your property tax is more than that, you would have been better off with the income tax. If you are rich that same property tax is far less than a 10% income tax would have been. That makes it a great place for the rich folks.
Bingo. You meant income tax+property taxes right? Interestingly enough, there are total tax load calculators by state on C-D even. Many income tax states have a lower total tax load for my situation. Oregon and WA are almost tied (1/10th of a %) despite huge differences in tax structure. This is with Oregon offering me "more house" as well.
The bolded is our big problem in WA, too many upper class too few worker bees to the point it's critical in many aspects. The problem is, we can't trust our state to make an adjustment to balance this out. They will just take more from all of us. The last income tax proposal was a classic example. Offered as a tax on the rich, but in the fine print "the legislature may expand or modify the income tax brackets and rates as seen fit without a vote of the people"

Old 11-01-2023, 01:16 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Bingo. You meant income tax+property taxes right? Interestingly enough, there are total tax load calculators by state on C-D even. Many income tax states have a lower total tax load for my situation. Oregon and WA are almost tied (1/10th of a %) despite huge differences in tax structure. This is with Oregon offering me "more house" as well.
The bolded is our big problem in WA, too many upper class too few worker bees to the point it's critical in many aspects. The problem is, we can't trust our state to make an adjustment to balance this out. They will just take more from all of us. The last income tax proposal was a classic example. Offered as a tax on the rich, but in the fine print "the legislature may expand or modify the income tax brackets and rates as seen fit without a vote of the people"
The legislature can modify any laws that aren't codified in the state or federal constitutions without a direct vote of the people. That is what legislatures do and why they exist. We are a representative democracy not a direct democracy.

Of course all laws are to some extent indirectly voted on by the people when they elect their state legislature.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:54 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Call first.
I just found out our Assessors are all WFH ONLY now..................
:
They were all working in the office. No WFH in Chelan County, thank god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
How's the view?
The view goes with the land. My land value did NOT go up, just the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Did you have a townwide or countywide reassessment? What was your percentage of increase compared to the average, or to the grand list as a whole?
My increase was 200 percent. My neighbors increase was 40 to 80 percent. Average increase for the county is 15 to 20% for the past year.

The Assessor in his press release said it would be going down next year, as the urban refugees sell out and move back to Puget Sound since they cannot work from home anymore.

My neighbors have several architect designed homes built by high end contractors. My home was built by owner from a kit. My square foot costs are significantly higher than theirs!!!

The Assessor, "offered" reducing my assessment to 80% increase in one year.

I pulled the data from my neighbors assessments and will go ahead and do my "own" appraisal. Fortunately, previously I did review the appraisals of 700 properties. Learned a lot in that job on how to do an appraisal.

This is the second time, I redid the county appraisal in two years. Won that appeal. It was pretty much a open and shut case. This is a bit more complex, but not much.

I cannot believe how badly Chelan County has screwed up the assessments. At least be consistent!!!

Old 11-01-2023, 09:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The Assessor, "offered" reducing my assessment to 80% increase in one year.

This is the second time, I redid the county appraisal in two years. Won that appeal. It was pretty much a open and shut case. This is a bit more complex, but not much.

I cannot believe how badly Chelan County has screwed up the assessments. At least be consistent!!!

Good luck.

I have fought many times and it is very troublesome.

Then the assessor reminds me...
I can only use addition and subtraction...
He can use multiplication (and will do so many times in the future.)

I always get an incremental reduction in valuation, but the 'multiplication factors' change next yr, I'm again far behind my neighbor assessments. They have the deluxe homes... I have formica, linoleum, and carpet
That's what's required to come in at $38 / SF cost basis. Assessor 'factor' uses $300/ sf.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:26 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
TRIPLED in 15 years? I don't buy it.

What city do you live in?

I live in Camas next to Vancouver in Clark County which has seen a lot of growth and appreciation in the past 15 years. We've only lived in this home for 8 years but I looked up the tax records on the county web site.

In 2008 taxes were $6,830
In 2013 taxes were 8,820

That is a 29% increase in 15 years, not a 300% increase.
Did you mean 2023 and not 2013?

I'm in a similar area to Camas (in Oregon). My house is 1,750 sq. ft. and I'm guessing yours is at least 2,500 sq. ft. probably on a larger lot... The neighborhood I am in is highly rated (like Camas).

2008 $2,800
2023 $4,900

So, I saw a 75% increase in property taxes.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:03 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
The bill to increase the annual cap on property taxes from 1% to 3% is of course back in play, first thing once legislators were back in session. FYI, such an increase compounded over 5-years would mean an additional 16% increase in property taxes if all else stayed the same.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:09 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I wish no income tax was universally helpful... but, you can be a Washingtonian but if earning in California you pay California Income Tax.

My flaw was thinking property tax as sustainable with the passage of I-747.
I think it is where you live, not where you work, that determines income tax.

So if working remotely in WA but for a CA based employer, you file as a WA resident... so no state income tax.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:59 AM

848 posts, read 966,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I think it is where you live, not where you work, that determines income tax.

So if working remotely in WA but for a CA based employer, you file as a WA resident... so no state income tax.
Yes. I was working remotely while living in AZ, but the company I work for is based in CA. I paid AZ income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington