Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 08:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We live in Vancouver just outside city limits. Every 4th of July has been a different experience, so far. Many big shows were cancelled due to Covid like the big one in our area at Ft. Vancouver which we once attended.

"First, COVID canceled the annual fireworks display at Fort Vancouver. Now, the risk of fire may permanently snuff out the spectacular, which has been called off for a third straight year...

Long billed as the largest display west of the Mississippi, the show typically attracts tens of thousands of spectators to the sprawling National Park Service grounds that used to function as a fur trading post just across the river from Portland." - Fort Vancouver Has Scrapped Its Fireworks Spectacular for a Third Straight Year

But wait, there's more to this story. Living just outside city limits, locals have taken it upon themselves to celebrate the birth of our nation and its independence. And I don't mean in small ways. I've never lived in a place with more local 'Large' firework displays going off in all directions. Even if local LE wanted to stop it, there is simply too much celebrating going on. And as one moves further out into the country into places like Battle Ground and Amboy, well 'forget about it.' No one is stopping those country boys. lol

For better or worse, it can sound a bit like a wild celebration or war zone depending on one's perspective. I know dog owners are not necessarily happy when it goes on way into the night and early AM hours. But its that time of the year and it's what people do. At least here, its the biggest celebration of the year, much more so than New Years.

Personally, I think we should all be able to celebrate our nation's independence in Big Ways if we want to. And it is nice to watch a good show. But I also understand the real threat of fires. So, its not an easy societal problem to deal with in a constructive way. And no, 'Light Shows' are not even close to a good firework celebration.

When we first moved to the Monterey Bay many, many years ago, they used to have a big show over the bay which was truly awesome as it reflected over the water. Then it too was cancelled for similar 'concerns.' You would think areas with large populations would realize an organized show will always be safer than 'free for all' local alternatives because people are going to party regardless. But the trend seems to be going the opposite direction now - shut everything down. Fear and concerns seem to be the biggest drivers. Who knows what it will be left in 5-10 years.

What's it like in your part of WA? Will locals celebrate at all? How about city/county events?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-03-2022 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 09:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
They’re celebrating now, I heard a huge boom earlier and a few minutes ago, I happened to look out the window as the horses were stampeding by. When the noise really gets going, the dogs will bark each and every time a firework goes off. I remember after first moving here, an old guy in bibb overalls said, they’d go on for days. He laughed about it, didn’t seem too upset. Well, it’s the country. I recently watched Urban Cowboy, and the line ‘when they go to shootin, just drop to the ground’ says it all.

We’re close to the res so fireworks are plentiful. Every year I lose sleep and worry that a drunken yahoo will shoot one of the horses. Hasn’t happened yet though. But yeah, they’re getting warmed up and about midnight, it will be booming. Oh wait, it’s not even the 4th yet.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:22 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
It'll be a war zone for the next two nights. And I live down a long private road with only a few close neighbors. It's remarkable how suddenly people a mile away seem so close.

I have always hated fireworks. I worry for my eaglets who are almost, but not quite ready - to fly. I worry for all the scared dogs who always manage to slip out and take off in the middle of it. I worry for fires. Our animals will be locked in the barn and safe as they can be, as long as there's no fire. It's still pretty green and damp out this year. Thank goodness for that. It's better than some of the past years.

Personal fireworks have no redeeming value for me. Just about everything that flies is not legal off the reservation, but that doesn't stop the tribal sales. I wish we could fix THAT loophole.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:30 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
They’re celebrating now, I heard a huge boom earlier and a few minutes ago, I happened to look out the window as the horses were stampeding by. When the noise really gets going, the dogs will bark each and every time a firework goes off. I remember after first moving here, an old guy in bibb overalls said, they’d go on for days. He laughed about it, didn’t seem too upset. Well, it’s the country. I recently watched Urban Cowboy, and the line ‘when they go to shootin, just drop to the ground’ says it all.

We’re close to the res so fireworks are plentiful. Every year I lose sleep and worry that a drunken yahoo will shoot one of the horses. Hasn’t happened yet though. But yeah, they’re getting warmed up and about midnight, it will be booming. Oh wait, it’s not even the 4th yet.
Wow, all bets are off once out in the country. We don't have that yet here. But we're right on the edge of country and city. So, all hell doesn't brake loose until tomorrow normally.

There's just not enough police to go around even if they 'wanted' to stop it all. But my view is they really don't at least not enough to go out chasing wild and crazy celebrators who have probably been enjoying their favorite alcoholic beverages among other creative substances.

Yeah, it would suck if an animal got shot due to a stupid accident. I wonder if folks decide its time to fires all there weapons off as well just to add to the crazy noise and celebrating. Yehaw!!!

Derek

Old 07-03-2022, 09:36 PM

Whenever the 4th falls on a weekend we get extra nights of it. Oh hell, we get extra nights of it even if the 4th is a Wednesday.

No real point in shooting guns off tonight. People out here can shoot guns any time they want... they only have a few nights a year they can get the fireworks with all the pretty lights. Til they run out, anyway.

I talked to a deputy once about enforcement against people who shoot them off past the legal window of time.... and in order to ticket it, they actually have to see it lit, and know who lit it. Reports of stuff we just hear next door isn't enforceable, so no, it's not really enforceable at all. The only real limiter is money and the length of time they're sold. They will run out eventually.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:42 PM

Actually I’ll take back half of what I said, at least for tonight… Not too bad and over early.

Tomorrow may be another story, but tonight, we sleep :-)

Old 07-04-2022, 06:39 AM

209 posts, read 146,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Personally, I think we should all be able to celebrate our nation's independence in Big Ways if we want to. And it is nice to watch a good show. But I also understand the real threat of fires. So, its not an easy societal problem to deal with in a constructive way. And no, 'Light Shows' are not even close to a good firework celebration.
Personally, I think we should all be able to celebrate our nation’s independence in ways that do not excessively disturb our fellow countrymen. Excessive being hours and hours of bomb like sounds terrorizing babies, young children, animals, and people who simply need to sleep…since the world keeps spinning even though it is a holiday for some.

Everything in moderation, and we are far out of moderation. When I was growing up, this nonsense did not last into the AM hours, or span multiple nights, or even happen on New Years’. You have a couple hours of fun on Jul 4 evening, and wait for next year.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:38 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
Personally, I think we should all be able to celebrate our nation’s independence in ways that do not excessively disturb our fellow countrymen. Excessive being hours and hours of bomb like sounds terrorizing babies, young children, animals, and people who simply need to sleep…since the world keeps spinning even though it is a holiday for some.

Everything in moderation, and we are far out of moderation. When I was growing up, this nonsense did not last into the AM hours, or span multiple nights, or even happen on New Years’. You have a couple hours of fun on Jul 4 evening, and wait for next year.
Agreed, I remember going with friends to a park, we’d put down blankets and open a bottle of wine and watch the show, or fun places like the Baltimore Harbor. In Next Door this morning, a lady new to the area was asking when the fireworks and very loud gunfire were going to end. She said it had been going on for three days and her dog is traumatized. If you live outside the city limits, the answer is on the morning of the 5th if you’re lucky. If you live close to a reservation, they’re cheap and easy to get. Poor lady, welcome to Washington.

Last night wasn’t too bad, I put the yapping yorkie in another room about 8:30 when they really started up. I woke up at 1am to let the dogs out and the fireworks were going off every couple of minutes instead of one after the other, not too bad. I read a couple of chapters in the kindle and drifted off, the noise wasn’t nearly as bad as some years. We’ll see what happens tonight.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:16 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
I wish they'd keep them in the big firework shows and not every yahoo shooting off illegal fireworks sold on the reservations in their yards. They are supposed to be discharged on the reservation, only on the fourth, not in everyone's backyards over their neighbors' houses for a week surrounding the fourth.

The wildlife gets tortured when fireworks are set off in natural areas. Not to mention the fire department has its work cut out for it on the fourth and surrounding days (our tax dollars at work). It would be great if they just had a few big shows people could choose to attend or not attend. That's how it used to be.

Now no one has a choice- we're all attending a firework show whether we want to our not without leaving our houses!

Old 07-04-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I wish they'd keep them in the big firework shows and not every yahoo shooting off illegal fireworks sold on the reservations in their yards. They are supposed to be discharged on the reservation, only on the fourth, not in everyone's backyards over their neighbors' houses for a week surrounding the fourth.

The thing is, there is absolutely no implied or expressed understanding that they will be discharged on the reservation. Where would people do that? Not where the fireworks stands are, that's a viral video waiting to happen. You can't light them there. Not anywhere else, that's all other people's property. Everyone KNOWS they will be taken home and used off the reservation, which is why I find it such an appalling policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington