Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 12:32 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The thing is, there is absolutely no implied or expressed understanding that they will be discharged on the reservation. Where would people do that? Not where the fireworks stands are, that's a viral video waiting to happen. You can't light them there. Not anywhere else, that's all other people's property. Everyone KNOWS they will be taken home and used off the reservation, which is why I find it such an appalling policy.
Boom City on the Tulalip Reservation has a firework lighting area (it can be loud) and they sell the big fireworks (illegal off reservation) to people knowing they can only be legally detonated at the Boom City lighting area. But people take them home and shoot them off there anyway.

The lighting area was closed during the Covid restrictions and I'm not sure if it's back open. It did seem sketchy to be selling the fireworks that are only allowed to be detonated there when the lighting area was closed:

https://www.marysvilleglobe.com/life...ity-fireworks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 12:39 PM

14,498 posts, read 12,141,672 times
Ah - well they've gone further than our reservation has to promote that idea. Good for them I spose...

I guess ours are just don't ask don't tell.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:07 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Ah - well they've gone further than our reservation has to promote that idea. Good for them I spose...

I guess ours are just don't ask don't tell.
That's a bummer. It's the same result either way...people taking them home and shooting them illegally.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:33 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
That's a bummer. It's the same result either way...people taking them home and shooting them illegally.
As they said when we first moved here and experienced this stuff, welcome to Washington!

When we lived in Colorado, there were many more organized shows around the Air Force Academy such that local residents didn't feel the need to 'go off the reservation' with large illegal mortars, etc... Sure, kids played with their little home kits, but nothing pro grade or anything like that. In California, at least along most coastal cities, law enforcement cracked down enough that it wasn't really an issue. Sure, a few illegal ones go off here and there. But much less so than WA. Although certain inland cities or counties were known to be more lax. So, that's where folks would go to experience the 'wild west' shows if that's what they wanted to see. Salinas, a mainly migrant farming community, was a big one for that near Monterey. Locals described it as a 'war zone' and many didn't like it.

From what some of the you long-term residents are saying, it sounds like it hasn't always been this way or at least not as extreme in your areas. That is the multiple days, long into the early morning hours, etc... We first thought it was Covid related since people had been so cooped up - kinda like saying - to hell with it! I'm celebrating Big Time in my own front yard over my neighbors' rooftops. And boy, did they!!

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-04-2022 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-04-2022, 05:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
Our neighbors really do it up.
We do a small amount of fireworks more so for our guests than for us.

We always have charged water hoses near us and around the house.
I like to wet down our area even before we start.

Our annual party guests enjoy watching our well off neighbors put on their big shows.
I think two of my neighbors compete with each other to a degree.

One neighbor started last night and thankfully our new pup did well.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:41 PM

Well, I take part of what I said about local things trending toward no organized events. Although Ft. Vancouver cancelled, Camas - Washougal decided to kick off their waterfront show show again this year with free music and fireworks. This is an encouraging sign that not all cities/counties are shutting down celebrations.

Port of Camas-Washougal to host Fourth of July celebration at Marina Park

Derek

Old 07-05-2022, 06:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Fireworks are illegal here, with a fine of $1,000. Every year there is still some, but less and less. Last night I hear a total of one boom at about 9pm, that's it. There were several neighbors hosting parties, though, and it was a nice afternoon/evening for an outdoor BBQ for a change.

Old 07-05-2022, 02:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,307 times
its like a
war zone on peacock hill in gig harbor wa where i live my dog terrorized yearly

Old 07-05-2022, 02:02 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Fireworks are illegal here, with a fine of $1,000. Every year there is still some, but less and less. Last night I hear a total of one boom at about 9pm, that's it. There were several neighbors hosting parties, though, and it was a nice afternoon/evening for an outdoor BBQ for a change.
wish it was like that here its a war zone in gig harbor wa

Old 07-05-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
wish it was like that here its a war zone in gig harbor wa
Sounds like it varies city to city county to county. But overall, it seems there are more of the extended illegal fireworks going off during all hours throughout the state. Some extend over multiple days. Maybe 'some' neighborhoods near Seattle are more policed and actually enforce the laws more strictly? IDK

That's never been the case anywhere else I've heard of in WA including here in Vancouver. Never have I heard someone say what Hemlock just did about his area - only one boom all night. We heard and saw so many last night it would be impossible to count. Heck, it would be hard enough to count them in 'one minute' let alone all night. It was constant until ~ 1:30 AM when it finally started slowing down.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington