Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 08:00 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,712,495 times

Advertisements

We had a war zone also. I can already hear some tonight, but I hope there will be fewer. The smoke was so thick it affected air quality. This was the worst year for non-stop large, illegal fireworks which is surprising considering there were professional firework shows to attend (unlike last year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 04:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,711 times
not so surprized a lot of idiots out there

Old 07-06-2022, 04:37 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Sounds like it varies city to city county to county. But overall, it seems there are more of the extended illegal fireworks going off during all hours throughout the state. Some extend over multiple days. Maybe 'some' neighborhoods near Seattle are more policed and actually enforce the laws more strictly? IDK

That's never been the case anywhere else I've heard of in WA including here in Vancouver. Never have I heard someone say what Hemlock just did about his area - only one boom all night. We heard and saw so many last night it would be impossible to count. Heck, it would be hard enough to count them in 'one minute' let alone all night. It was constant until ~ 1:30 AM when it finally started slowing down.

Derek
and people complain about the price of gas etc yet spent thousands on fireworks

Old 07-08-2022, 11:05 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,681,583 times
Let's be honest, the fourth of July hasn't been a celebration of the nation's independence as much as it is celebrating a day off of work. I live in Vancouver Wa also, and a young man blew off his hand, a garage was burned down, and a family of six were left homeless all because of the idiocy of fireworks being tied to the replication of a war.

The "official" displays of the past are now deemed to be a fire danger not to mention the cost factor for a city that struggles to fill even the worst potholes in their streets, fails to provide meaningful police protection, but still manages to raise taxes as the only consistent activity of city or county governments. I liked the old official displays, but, the neighborhood ones put on by people who aren't old enough to know the dangers, or worse, know, but still don't really care to be as safe as possible.

Drinking, getting stoned, and being stupid, seems to be supplanting the traditional celebrations, then throw the fireworks into that environment, and, BOOM, someone gets hurt, fires are started, people are angry. How any of that translates into a recognition of our independence from the English I certainly don't know. Like America's other holidays, the fourth has morphed into a day of celebrating everything except it's origins, or worse, it's become one more point of division over individual rights.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:53 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
Wow.
What a bunch of negative Nancy’s.

I like the 4th of July.
I like seeing the stars and bars flying in town and on peoples front yards.
We have animals so I don’t much like a bunch of fireworks but I can handle a few days per year.
I grew up in small towns that had parades and festivals on the 4th that did goofy stuff like pie eating contests or crab feeds at the VFW.

I can’t seem to find the emoji for rosy colored sunglasses because that’s what I like to wear .

Old 07-08-2022, 05:15 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,134,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
We had a war zone also. I can already hear some tonight, but I hope there will be fewer. The smoke was so thick it affected air quality. This was the worst year for non-stop large, illegal fireworks which is surprising considering there were professional firework shows to attend (unlike last year).
Yes, typical booms going off at 3 am. Mec Andy and Hemlock obviously hit the jackpot when it came to living in a good location. I remember a post from Mec Andy where he chatted with his pleasant neighbors, I think they were ex Californians. Anyway, if I chatted to anyone out here, it would likely be with a scowling, bearded guy with ten foot tires. Or scowling lady, recently my next door neighbor was standing in her yard glaring at me, a couple of days later she sends her husband over to complain about my dog barking too early. Why didn’t she walk over to the fence and tell me herself, it’s the usual passive-aggressive attitude, but that’s another thread.

Anyway, the noise goes on for hours and on the afternoon of 4th, I was out painting some of the pasture fence and heard loud booms, the loudest possible. I’m still trying to figure out where the fireworks went, you’d think a boom like that would light up the sky with pretty fireworks, but no. All it did was scare the horses and crank the dogs up. Every year it’s the same, these loud mega booms happen and there’s nothing to see.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:34 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,712,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’m still trying to figure out where the fireworks went, you’d think a boom like that would light up the sky with pretty fireworks, but no. All it did was scare the horses and crank the dogs up. Every year it’s the same, these loud mega booms happen and there’s nothing to see.
Same here. Many of them are just giant explosions that shake the ground, scare the animals and maybe have a single, low flash of light but no beautiful sky show show or anything. They seem to have no redeeming value unless you want a giant boom.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
Oops

Last edited by MechAndy; 07-08-2022 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Wrong topic

Old 07-09-2022, 09:51 AM

14,503 posts, read 12,148,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Oops

I saw it though.... thanks.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:02 AM

848 posts, read 968,913 times
We had a unique point of view as we were on a plane coming in for a landing at PDX in the last hour before midnight. There were fireworks all over the place. Just randomly scattered through the neighborhoods. Celebrations by locals seemed to be be very alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington