Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 08:06 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

"Jay Inslee signed into law last month a bill that sets a date of 2030 for all new cars registered in Washington state to be electric. According to the bill, this applies to all vehicles of the model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased or registered in the state." Apr 1, 2022

How will this impact you, if it even does?

Then there's this:

WASHINGTON/DETROIT, Dec 8 (Reuters) - "The U.S. government plans to end purchases of gas-powered vehicles by 2035 in a move to lower emissions and promote electric cars under an executive order signed by President Joe Biden on Wednesday."

Our electrical grid is in shambles and badly outdated, and especially vulnerable to terrorists. What are these guys thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 11:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,758 times
The idea would be to make upgrading the grid a priority, I suppose. As well as building out the infrastructure. Which gives industry a pathway to follow, reason to invest, etc. If it’s untenable, pretty easy to push the deadline out. I’m not ready for electric but I’d be interested in a plug-in hybrid, at least.

My personal idea is that HOV lanes should be available to electric cars. Nice incentive with minimal cost.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:27 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
LOL! What a joke. I'm not opposed to electric vehicles, but the infrastructure needed in the rural parts of the state in order to make this pipe dream feasible will take many decades, not 8 years.

MIGHT be feasible in Seattle. Maybe. But - and Inslee doesn't realize this - Washington is more than just Seattle.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
LOL! What a joke. I'm not opposed to electric vehicles, but the infrastructure needed in the rural parts of the state in order to make this pipe dream feasible will take many decades, not 8 years.

MIGHT be feasible in Seattle. Maybe. But - and Inslee doesn't realize this - Washington is more than just Seattle.

Consider the infrastructure required to support 100% EV in Puget Sound (Not gonna get there in 8 yrs)

Fast chargers take ~ 10x the power requirements currently available in older homes in Metro area, even most newer homes are only 200A service... (350kw charger = 1590A @220V) You will not plant those every block on current grid!

EV's are not magic (Our company allowed (encouraged) us to make EV's in 1976, and all factories in USA had EV plug-in parking in 1976. We've come so far.

I still drive my 50mpg car built in 1976 as a daily driver. I'm rural and a farmer, so it is NOT an EV, but runs on free Home Brew fuel with 80% reduction in emissions. Back in the day of Dyno tested emissions in WA State, my readings at 500,000+ miles were always "No detectable Emissions".

There are several answers to meeting emission objectives. EV is one of many solutions, and likely best suited for urban. Though conservation / bicycles / walking / city planning and Mass transit hubs are a whole lot more feasible, attainable, and better as an aggregate solution. Much of that could happen (for free) tomorrow (or better yet, yesterday / 1974 fuel embargo).

Missed opportunities.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:55 AM

11,484 posts, read 6,008,999 times
7 years. LOL. Never happen. The automakers cannot even ramp up production that fast. LOL.

Idiots.

Look at all the states where within 12 years, all car sales must be ZEV

2030 Washington
2035 California
2035 Massachusetts
2035 New Jersey
2035 New York

Meanwhile Maryland, Hawaii, and Oregon all have politicians working to pass laws banning new ICE car sales. Probably more than these as well.

How are the automakers going to fill this demand? If you think people are paying 10k over now for a car, just wait until the production of ZEVs are a fraction of the artificial demand from these state bans on gas powered cars.

This policy is insane, expensive, and irrational. We are not governed. We are ruled by dictators.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:02 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Right now EV cost too much for the average citizen...period... and I don't see the prices going down, most likely they will continue to rise.
Now about renewable energy as in windmills and solar....again solar and windmills are not going to cover our energy needs anytime soon. Even environmentalist are against both solar fields and windmills because of the lost of birds to both. Even installing solar on one's house is expensive...I have solar panels on my house at 60K+ dollar cost and probably won't see a cost reduction on my power bill for years and which most people can not afford.
The true answer to clean energy is nuclear and maybe Geothermal....period. People better get on board with those two because the current renewables are not the answer in the near future.
As far as hydro is concerned environmentalist are hard at work to eliminate them. Right here on the Peninsula two power producing damn have been removed with little to no result in reestablishment the salmon runs. All the damn removable did were a lost in recreational areas and lowering the city water supply.

Here is a break down of each:
Hydro electric: 6.3%
Wind 9.2%
Biomass 1.3%
Solar 2.8%
Geothermal .4%
Nuclear 19%
Natural Gas 38%
Coal 22%
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...8e95483e5f6420

Last edited by rantiquity; 04-23-2022 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-23-2022, 11:23 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
7 years. LOL. Never happen. The automakers cannot even ramp up production that fast. LOL.

Idiots.

Look at all the states where within 12 years, all car sales must be ZEV

2030 Washington
2035 California
2035 Massachusetts
2035 New Jersey
2035 New York

Meanwhile Maryland, Hawaii, and Oregon all have politicians working to pass laws banning new ICE car sales. Probably more than these as well.

How are the automakers going to fill this demand? If you think people are paying 10k over now for a car, just wait until the production of ZEVs are a fraction of the artificial demand from these state bans on gas powered cars.

This policy is insane, expensive, and irrational. We are not governed. We are ruled by dictators.
Don't worry so much....this:
Quote:
Ocasio-Cortez is on the green warpath and would like us all to know that 'the world is gonna end' in 2030 if we don't 'address climate change'

Old 04-23-2022, 11:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
"Jay Inslee signed into law last month a bill that sets a date of 2030 for all new cars registered in Washington state to be electric. According to the bill, this applies to all vehicles of the model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased or registered in the state." Apr 1, 2022

How will this impact you, if it even does?

Then there's this:

WASHINGTON/DETROIT, Dec 8 (Reuters) - "The U.S. government plans to end purchases of gas-powered vehicles by 2035 in a move to lower emissions and promote electric cars under an executive order signed by President Joe Biden on Wednesday."

Our electrical grid is in shambles and badly outdated, and especially vulnerable to terrorists. What are these guys thinking?
Yup. Not only that, but in the parts of the West, where the grid is based on hydroelectric, the supply is going to become unreliable, as the climate gets drier. One of the dams in northern CA stopped producing during the drought, because it ran out of water. That's a harbinger of things to come.

A few manufacturers are developing fuel cell cars. People with all-electric cars will have to invest in their own solar power stations, to have reliable recharging capacity. Unless they want to deal with long lines at solar fuel stations, when the electrical grid is down.

What qualifies as an electric vehicle, btw? Will petrol/electric hybrids be discontinued?

What's going to happen to all the gas stations? How is the petroleum industry going to take this?

This will get interesting...

Old 04-23-2022, 11:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Right now EV cost too much for the average citizen...period... and I don't see the prices going down, most likely they will continue to rise.
EV's are unreliable in extreme temps: hot or cold. Extreme temps drain the lithium batteries, so people risk getting stranded if there's no recharging station near where they run out of power. Who's going to build all the charging stations, and how will they be powered? Lots of infrastructure to build, to meet this requirement, and where's the money going to come from for that? The US can't even maintain old existing infrastructure of various sorts.

Are all EV's on lithium batteries, btw? If so, where's all the lithium going to come from, to meet demand not only in the US, but globally? I think these laws are taking a lot for granted: a steady supply of lithium, for one, and a steady supply of electricity for recharging, to name another.

The fact is, I suspect, that the standard of living developed nations have taken for granted all these generations: cars for everyone, enough power for an endless stream of manufactured goods, etc. etc., is not going to be possible indefinitely.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:49 AM

303 posts, read 177,666 times
The rich will afford carbon credits that allows them to drive a new gas or hybrid vehicle. The charging stations and car manufacturing will still be powered by fossil fuels but driving an EV will make people feel like they're helping the environment. The real benefit here is the ability for government to sell credits to their donors while maintaining power over their constituents. People will be pushed into more metropolitan areas and away from conservative regions. It's very green and liberal. As the world economic forum says, you will own nothing and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington