Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 04:31 PM

302 posts, read 177,129 times

Advertisements

The tyrants want to mandate EV because EV relies on a charging grid which they can regulate and tax. It's hard to tax and control hydrogen or biofuels which are actually greener. If they were to just raise taxes on gasoline their green narrative would fall apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 04:46 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Living in rural Washington, what are these boys with the huge trucks and jacked up tires going to drive when they need a new vehicle? An EV, methinks not.
Or gals who need to carry hay or pull their horse trailers!

You're right, where vehicles need power and torque... I'm not sure electric vehicles are going to work, yet.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
These people want to be remembered in history as the ones that made “the change” .
It’s like their own bit of immortality and that is why people like Biden and people like him will never back down, change and give up even if it means some of us are starving.

If they stay in power be prepared for the escalating prices of everything to continue.

While I feel it’s a noble adventure I just don’t think we are ready yet.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:34 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Or gals who need to carry hay or pull their horse trailers!

You're right, where vehicles need power and torque... I'm not sure electric vehicles are going to work, yet.
Electric vehicles have much more power and torque than gas or diesel, and it is instantly available. What they lack is range.

When I first looked into getting an electric car a couple of years ago, I had trouble finding any dealer that had one available to test drive. Every single one was sold before it was delivered from all manufacturers - Chevy, Nissan, Tesla. Now it is even harder. There's no way the whole state could go electric without some serious ramping of production.

These days you can get a good electric car for $30,000, even less with a $7,500 tax credit and no sales tax in WA. They make great commute cars, so easy to drive, equivalent of 75c per gallon, charge overnight without an expensive charger. No oil changes, no engine repairs. The battery should last 20+ years in this region, and gas cars become as expensive to fix at that age anyway. If you have a garage and a second gas car then they are really good, but without either of those then they are not quite as good. If you spread your risk of fuel between electric and gas then you can flip between them based on availability and prices. It's only slightly less efficient to charge it via a gas-powered generator than a regular gas car.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It won't affect us, since we are retiring in a year, and have two newer cars still on warranty plus a classic, that we can keep going as long as we are able to drive. We have no need for an EV or any other new car. I would expect gas stations to start installing chargers with significant chargers to make money, and few will close because even when that law takes effect there will be over 3 million ICE vehicles needing to fill up for 10-20 years.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:50 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman05 View Post
The tyrants want to mandate EV because EV relies on a charging grid which they can regulate and tax. It's hard to tax and control hydrogen or biofuels which are actually greener. If they were to just raise taxes on gasoline their green narrative would fall apart.
My wife drives a Prius V and in renewing her taps it cost this extra for a hybrid and a EV in the state of Washington:
Quote:
EV fees (Wash. Rev. Code §46.17.323/HB 2042 (2019)$150 additional annual registration fee for electric vehicles (initially $100 as enacted in 2012).$75 additional Hybrid Vehicle Transportation Electrification fee to fund electric vehicle charging stations (enacted in 2019).
Total fees Annual fees totaling $255 for electric vehicles.
  • The extra cost on both types of cars is to partly to help make up for the gas tax lost.
  • But actually the extra cost for the tabs is cheap compared to the gas tax especially if you drive a lot.
  • Actually the government is cutting it own throat by mandating that EV will be required by 2030. What will pay for road building and repair without the cars that use gas? I assume it will be higher taxes or fee on both hybrids and EV. Maybe hundred of dollars every year.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
I'll ride my mule.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
My wife drives a Prius V and in renewing her taps it cost this extra for a hybrid and a EV in the state of Washington:
  • The extra cost on both types of cars is to partly to help make up for the gas tax lost.
  • But actually the extra cost for the tabs is cheap compared to the gas tax especially if you drive a lot.
  • Actually the government is cutting it own throat by mandating that EV will be required by 2030. What will pay for road building and repair without the cars that use gas? I assume it will be higher taxes or fee on both hybrids and EV. Maybe hundred of dollars every year.
You can bet on it, probably many hundreds. This is why the state is studying the idea of taxing by the miles driven. For people like us that can be a problem, since we take our travel trailer out of state often. It's also a problem for the 5 million of us in the U.S. that have a classic car with no computer, OBD port, or internet connection, which would be used to get the data from the cars.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:35 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can bet on it, probably many hundreds. This is why the state is studying the idea of taxing by the miles driven. For people like us that can be a problem, since we take our travel trailer out of state often. It's also a problem for the 5 million of us in the U.S. that have a classic car with no computer, OBD port, or internet connection, which would be used to get the data from the cars.
Easy enough to report miles at a local garage. I recall that’s what is done in some states when they test your emissions. Proprietary software is all that’s needed.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:01 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Electric vehicles have much more power and torque than gas or diesel, and it is instantly available. What they lack is range.
OK - our electric golf cart has no power at all going up hill. It moves right along on the flat, but crawls up the hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington