Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 11:50 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Right now EV cost too much for the average citizen...period... and I don't see the prices going down, most likely they will continue to rise.
Now about renewable energy as in windmills and solar....again solar and windmills are not going to cover our energy needs anytime soon. Even environmentalist are against both solar fields and windmills because of the lost of birds to both. Even installing solar on one's house is expensive...I have solar panels on my house at 60K+ dollar cost and probably won't see a cost reduction on my power bill for years and which most people can not afford.
The true answer to clean energy is nuclear and maybe Geothermal....period. People better get on board with those two because the current renewables are not the answer in the near future.
As far as hydro is concerned environmentalist are hard at work to eliminate them. Right here on the Peninsula two power producing damn have been removed with little to no result in reestablishment the salmon runs. All the damn removable did were a lost in recreational areas and lowering the city water supply.

Here is a break down of each:
Hydro electric: 6.3%
Wind 9.2%
Biomass 1.3%
Solar 2.8%
Geothermal .4%
Nuclear 19%
Natural Gas 38%
Coal 22%
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...8e95483e5f6420

It’s a matter of "Don’t touch our damns, (sic) dammit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 11:51 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. Not only that, but in the parts of the West, where the grid is based on hydroelectric, the supply is going to become unreliable, as the climate gets drier. One of the dams in northern CA stopped producing during the drought, because it ran out of water. That's a harbinger of things to come.

A few manufacturers are developing fuel cell cars. People with all-electric cars will have to invest in their own solar power stations, to have reliable recharging capacity. Unless they want to deal with long lines at solar fuel stations, when the electrical grid is down.

What qualifies as an electric vehicle, btw? Will petrol/electric hybrids be discontinued?

What's going to happen to all the gas stations? How is the petroleum industry going to take this?

This will get interesting...
Since so many products use petroleum like the computer you are typing on to your kitchen applicants etc.... I don't see in the now or even in the future petroleum industry going anywhere.

Old 04-23-2022, 04:14 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Plastics use oil, so you're right. There's that. Plus there's trucks, ships and planes. Any engine is going to need oil, too.

I'm glad to see so many people echoing my thoughts. I hadn't heard a peep from anyone and I thought I was either missing something or just going crazy.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Since so many products use petroleum like the computer you are typing on to your kitchen applicants etc.... I don't see in the now or even in the future petroleum industry going anywhere.
Of course. They can always sell to industry. But they were already doing that back in the 50's, when they and the auto industry bought up public transit systems and converted them to gas-guzzling buses on less efficient routes, to push people into car ownership. That tells you, that selling gas to as many citizens as possible is very important to them. How will they make up the loss in revenue, is the question.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Plastics use oil, so you're right. There's that. Plus there's trucks, ships and planes. Any engine is going to need oil, too.

I'm glad to see so many people echoing my thoughts. I hadn't heard a peep from anyone and I thought I was either missing something or just going crazy.
Well, what this piece of news tells me, is that I need to buy a car before 2030. I was hoping for a hybrid, but I can't afford to buy new. I sure as heck won't be able to afford an EV, and I'm not confident in them for the reasons given earlier.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:17 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Well, as cars get more expensive, it's starting to make more sense to just put $20,000 into the car I have. I could put a whole new engine in it, replace the inside, and have it painted for that much money, maybe even have money left over. And it's still cheaper than getting a new car.

I have the feeling a lot of people will be doing this. By making new cars so expensive I think car manufacturing companies may have just shot themselves in the foot. Why buy new if you can put half that amount into your old car?

Old 04-24-2022, 09:15 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Another example of the voters massed in the big cities that think something will work for them and don't have a clue about what it does to rural areas, nor do they care.

You simply can not deliver 20 tons of hay to market with an electric vehicle.

The people of Spokane have long and frequent power outages, and that won't be helped if 750,000 people suddenly must all charge their electric car because that is the only way to get around. Not to mention that a lot of them won't be able to afford an electric vehicle.

But hey, Washington voted those politicians in so that must be what they want done.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:11 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Batteries STORE energy, they don't create energy..

Where/how do they get the energy for the batteries to store?..

Exactly....

</thread>

Old 04-24-2022, 10:26 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, what this piece of news tells me, is that I need to buy a car before 2030. I was hoping for a hybrid, but I can't afford to buy new. I sure as heck won't be able to afford an EV, and I'm not confident in them for the reasons given earlier.
Agreed, what are you supposed to do if you’re in east Egypt and need a charge? Maybe there’s a station nearby, but probably not. Will they offer portable chargers to keep in your car for emergencies or just let you sit until you can get a tow to a charging station? Or maybe stick close to areas that have charging stations, but that is not appealing for a rural destination.

Living in rural Washington, what are these boys with the huge trucks and jacked up tires going to drive when they need a new vehicle? An EV, methinks not.

Yes, a hybrid is what I’ll drive next. I just don’t trust a car that relies solely on electricity. Current gas prices make a good case for driving a hybrid.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,369 times
When making a law that looks forward 8 years, the good news is that it allows for planning and flexibility. Many things will change in the interim.
1) There will now be a target date for infrastructure rollout, leading to more investment for the presumed payoff.
2) Car companies will continue to make less expensive electric vehicles, and invest more in efficiency, leading to improved consumer choice.
3) Permitting and construction of renewable energy in the West, already at a frantic pace, will remain strong and probably be even more streamlined.
4) More conservative states like ID, WY, MT etc. will be incentivized to stop stonewalling in the fight to reduce climate change by basic American greed. The liberal states will simply buy their energy, and politicians will follow that green, as they always do.
5) Even if we get 40% closer to the goals set by this law, all WA need do is push the deadline back by another few years, and the benefits will have already been banked.
All the other practical concerns mentioned thus far are completely true and will likely need a lot of effort. The way the law is currently written fails to take them into account. People will find workarounds such as registering cars out of state, repairing, etc.
6) Hydrogen and natural gas fueled cars may get added to the law.

We will muddle through. This is a law. It’s not set in stone. It will be adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington