Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 07:17 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,682,012 times

Advertisements

Electric cars have specs a bit higher than golf carts. If your golf cart had been designed to go over 80mph it would have a motor with much greater torque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 10:12 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,103,244 times
They are doing a lot of neat things with solar.
I have been reading great things about a new startup called SwiftSolar that I would like to invest in.
You can find info on them easy enough and YouTube has a nice info bit on them.

I bring this up because I like to think we are getting close with all the gifted people working on this.
I’m 20 minutes from town and would love to have an ev that I could charge from panels at home.

All that said,
Is our infrastructure going to be ready for this?
Where is all this power and distribution going to come from?
Just thinking that California doing this would be the big fail so I think we might be set up for the small fail.

I think with this bit of economic turmoil we need a win not another fail even if it is going to be called a “small fail”.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:20 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,438,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I'll ride my mule.
You have mule?

Old 04-27-2022, 10:24 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,438,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK - our electric golf cart has no power at all going up hill. It moves right along on the flat, but crawls up the hill.
That reminds me of the EV that was stuck on a hill. The driver went to a near by house and ask for an extension chord and plugged it into his EV just to make it up the hill.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:26 AM

1,066 posts, read 896,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK - our electric golf cart has no power at all going up hill. It moves right along on the flat, but crawls up the hill.
You should have someone take you for a cruise in a Tesla.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 717,621 times
Since all that would be needed to prevent a ‘fail’ is for the law to be changed, let’s say, 4 years down the line if we can see we aren’t going to get there, at this point I am not too worried. Not to say that ideology would not trump practicality, we may have a situation where estimates are too rosy and then there are big problems once we have added to the load…

However, renewable energy buildout is POPPING across the nation, so it’s a question of how fast those solar and wind projects get built and whether the huge interstate transmission lines are also built in time. States like MT, ID, the Dakotas, etc, can make huge amounts of money exporting power to WA. Similarly, eastern WA and OR counties can make $$ exporting electricity to the coastal counties which generate most of the GDP.

I’d add safe/economical nuclear to that mix (only if proven) as well as hopefully improved ways of getting hydrogen out of natural gas (though currently that’s a greenwash, not actually better for the environment/emissions.)

A dynamic landscape and a forward looking move/gamble by this administration. We shall see if it succeeds.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,682,012 times
A lot of people make a big deal over how we don't have the infrastructure for electric charging, but they never specify how far off we are. I don't think they actually know what capacity we have and what we need of what type.

One of the great things about electric chargers is that you can turn pretty much any parking space into a charging space, you don't need huge tanks of volatile liquids than need to be refilled regularly. So if you don't have a charger at/by your home and you only need to recharge once per week then you can do it while getting groceries at the supermarket or shopping at the mall.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,783 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
A lot of people make a big deal over how we don't have the infrastructure for electric charging, but they never specify how far off we are. I don't think they actually know what capacity we have and what we need of what type.

One of the great things about electric chargers is that you can turn pretty much any parking space into a charging space, you don't need huge tanks of volatile liquids than need to be refilled regularly. So if you don't have a charger at/by your home and you only need to recharge once per week then you can do it while getting groceries at the supermarket or shopping at the mall.
And you know much about power distribution, consumption, load balance, and the physical limitations to those?

Much of our grid is currently overloaded, and there does not seem to be a huge push for using LESS electricity!.

There are some 'smart meter' technologies that can 'wean' / lean out power consumption, but... the average Joe USA home cannot take on the excess load of adding electric cooking (gas is out), Electric heating (Gas is out), Electric water needs (gas is out) and EV (gas is out)... all of the above are power HOGS and the grid is maxed in many locales. Maybe charge your car when you are NOT cooking, doing laundry, or requiring heat. But it will be a SLOW charge, not a quick charge (your existing power service cannot handle that).

Future?
  • Lower charge inputs
  • Less need for charging (different batteries and battery cycles)
  • Move next door to a humming substation that MIGHT have excess capacity.
  • Distributed power generation could be a reasonable answer (Local nuclear plant within your neighborhood)
Walk!

Old 04-28-2022, 12:04 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,925,853 times
I think this 2030 deadline is unrealistic. This seems to be political positioning, in an effort to show concern for our environmental governor. He knows the system. And can continue to for the rest of his life. I fully expect Inslee will continue to run again for POTUS, but may still the odd man out.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-28-2022 at 12:13 AM..

Old 04-28-2022, 09:04 AM

32,695 posts, read 48,250,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I'll ride my mule.

Unless you have a lot of year round pasture, how you going to feed the mule when the farmers can't get their hay to market or their grain to market?

Is there going to be grain? Will the farmer be able to get the diesel fuel to run the combine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington