Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: High Capacity Magazine Ban
Yes I support the proposed ban. 15 30.61%
No I do not support the proposed ban. 34 69.39%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:46 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
So, you're saying they are now trying to limit you? Trying to have you modify what you purchased before that was legal at the time? Is that the issue?

Derek
They are trying to ban them altogether. Which means I'm an instant felon for even having possession. I doubt all those guys that fought Nam and Korea that bought an AR or AK they were trained and familiar with would realize they are now felons for possessing what the firearm was equipped with when they purchased it.

It's like buying a fast car and finding out the turbo charger has now been banned. Again, criminals don't care about laws that are going to be used against law abiding citizens.

You simply cannot ban something that cannot be traced. Washington politicians are simply playing the California play book of misleading the low information voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 08:53 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,718,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They are trying to ban them altogether. Which means I'm an instant felon for even having possession. I doubt all those guys that fought Nam and Korea that bought an AR or AK they were trained and familiar with would realize they are now felons for possessing what the firearm was equipped with when they purchased it.

It's like buying a fast car and finding out the turbo charger has now been banned.
Interesting, I wonder if the ban would have some kind of grandfathering clause for existing gun owners? I had heard about something like that in prior similar bills for high capacity rounds. Obviously, if it were to pass they would to take into account existing gun owners who purchased them legally.

Derek

Old 02-16-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I wonder if the ban would have some kind of grandfathering clause for existing gun owners? I had heard about something like that in prior similar bills for high capacity rounds. Obviously, if it were to pass they would to take into account existing gun owners who purchased them legally.

Derek
Well, here's the deal. There is no serial number, no date on the item. They can try and ban new sales but every time the courts put it on hold (look up freedom week) all the "illegal" mags now become legal. They cannot legally take possessions from owners. It's also not illegal to have out of state friends gift you most of these items.

This is an endless loop of stupid. It's all about politicians duping voters thinking they are all about "safety".

Old 02-16-2022, 09:03 PM

Every bill is written a little differently. WA's bill is likely different than the one in CA you're dealing with. Here's what I found on this bill which means you wouldn't be a criminal as a prior gun owner. But there are restrictions.

"Another bill includes SB 5078, which would outlaw selling or transferring high capacity magazines, but would still allow people who already have these devices to keep them. However, they would only be use them while at shooting ranges or hunting. It would restrict the number of rounds that new magazines could hold to only 10." -- https://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/ne...ympias-agenda/

Derek

Old 02-16-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Every bill is written a little differently. WA's bill is likely different than the one in CA you're dealing with. Here's what I found on this bill which means you wouldn't be a criminal as a prior gun owner. But there are restrictions.

"Another bill includes SB 5078, which would outlaw selling or transferring high capacity magazines, but would still allow people who already have these devices to keep them. However, they would only be use them while at shooting ranges or hunting. It would restrict the number of rounds that new magazines could hold to only 10." -- https://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/ne...ympias-agenda/

Derek
What are they going to do, random search people at protests? You can mag block any magazine and simply pull a pin and use a clip to top it off. Again, these are politicians pandering for votes from scared low information hopeful voters.

They are afraid of open carry.

We have some of the same stupid laws. I am ALWAYS going hunting or to the range which circumvents these dumb laws. I hope that clears that up. We've had these CA style idiot laws for a while.

Nothing is going to keep two guys from selling something to each other in their garage. It's so idiotic. Every year I come back from either AZ or Vegas I send myself some goodies, cause I can. I just like showing people how stupid these laws actually are. We have another dumb one, ammo FFL. Probably the dumbest of the dumb. I reload so don't care but they have nothing at the border to check for ammo.

I'm just furious people are allowed to vote that are this imbecile.

I just hope people read up and don't get duped by all this misinformation.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:57 AM

308 posts, read 102,980 times
You see there was this boating accident...

Old 02-17-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlhdtodd View Post
You see there was this boating accident...
lol Exactly, as I said before, this conversation will go nowhere especially on CD. It never does. Case in point, just read above. Any questions?

Derek

Old 02-17-2022, 11:26 AM

303 posts, read 178,717 times
Quote:
Why have any gun laws at all then using that same worn out old line of thinking? Sell them along with candy at the local grocery store for kids or anyone who wants them. The sky is the limit! Gun laws = stupid. Who needs a license anyway when you buy and carry any weapon anytime, anywhere freely? Take 'em to school too. Why not? I mean, its a free country, right? They're perfectly harmless. People hurt people, never guns.

Using that same warn out logic, why not sell grenades, rocket launchers, bombs land mines, tanks, F-16s to every yahoo who wants to collect them and enjoy their engineering marvels? Stockpile all the weapons you want to, right? Be free, finally!

Take that same approach to the international level and any country should be able to make whatever nuclear weapons they want. Nukes don't kill people, people kill people. Why, of course! Isn't it obvious? North Korea, do as you please. We were wrong to ever limit your freedoms. Bombs don't kill people, after all. We were wrong to ever doubt you.

The same sorry logic applies to all forms of drugs. Why require doctors and pharmacies to use prescriptions when you can buy them illegally already on the street? So, just make all drugs legal. Drugs don't kill people after all, people kill people. Yes, that's right. Drugs got a bad rap. War on drugs = waste-of-time. They're all perfectly harmless and should be freely distributed to all at will.

Derek
I bet you there are civilians with rocket launchers etc, just like there are gun hobbyists with custom magazines despite what the law says. Banning them only disarms law abiding people. The military will always have an edge due to its budget. The 2nd amendment isn't there for rabbit hunting. The US isn't one of the countries where gun control will reduce violence - the cat is way too far out of the bag.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:40 AM

14,532 posts, read 12,163,865 times
And there are privately owned rocket launchers, tanks, and F-16s. A few... It's a niche market.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:23 PM

1,369 posts, read 715,826 times
I’m generally in favor of sensible gun control. While I think guns are fun, and I enjoy using them, I am convinced by the data that shows an incredibly high cost in terms of deaths, violence and sheer horror that repeatedly shows it’s face in the country.

Having said that, I am convinced by people who know more about high capacity magazines, that this law doesn’t seem to be useful as a deterrent (except it may allow LE to go after people who supplied said equipment to someone who then used it in a crime). Maybe that’s worth something?

Really, pro-gun groups and American public opinion have had a lock on this argument for decades. We’ve chosen guns over safety. That’s where we are today. There is no level of crime or mass murder of our children that will, apparently change this mindset. Other countries have seen the rise of these mass murder events, and passed good laws that largely put a stop to them. We will not do it. Glad I don’t have kids in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington