Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
Des Moines is on my list; so far have seen only one condo there and think it was $1.2. "Little downtown" sounds very appealing.

Excellent observation about train and plane noise and how subjective perception is.

I grew up in the Hudson River Valley and trains were just a part of everyday life; didn't have one terribly close by though.

At my previous house in the city where I'm currently located I was almost under a flight path and enjoyed seeing the planes arriving and departing. Again though, not close enough to be disruptive.

Regarding my hoped for condo, I think I'm more concerned about soundproofing and a strong HOA to keep neighbor noise in check.
I've lived in the southside for years, West Seattle, Burien, White Center, and now Tukwila. Commercial airline traffic noise was never an issue but I was never under a direct flight path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 03:59 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,969 times
Quote:
jerezdevil,

Probably my priorities are water views (waterfront if $$$), and sunset views as well as a balcony or terrace. Previously I lived at 5000ft and had a great city and sunset view- both of which I miss; no water views to be had here but I had a pond. The property was at the edge of open space, so especially with the pond there were a lot of birds.

I don't want large and especially don't want grounds to maintain. My first choice is a high rise condo. Since I'm not familiar with the area I'm challenged to find the right community.

Like you, I wouldn't want a five bath monster either! Sq ft 1500-2000, 2/3, 1.5/2. Not fancy, but upgraded.
Bellingham and Blaine have good waterfront condos well within your budget. I browse the listings every now and then which is how I know. They're easy to locate because there are only a few residential streets that border the waterfronts. They're 2 stories or mid rise buildings.

Actually being that you work online, you could probably rent just to make sure you like the area before buying.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I've considered a condo instead of a house but noise coming through the walls/floor/ceiling is a major concern for me as well. Can people comment on how you can tell how soundproofed a condo unit is?

I'm also a fan of privacy... so many condos seem to constructed in a way you can peer right into your neighbors windows/deck.
I read a funny review of a condo complex of a building in Bellingham. The bottom floor neighbor said he knew his upstairs neighbors entire daily routine.

Google "riptide condos" the google review is quite funny.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:15 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,815 times
jerezdevil, I googled "riptide condos" and found a bunch of listings. Also a one sentence comment that the noise between neighbors is bad- but couldn't find a review. Any help on this? (The listings showed a building that looked like a motel.)

It would have been my guess that noise between units is a common question realtors encounter when showing condos. Along with freepelican I certainly don't want to hear neighbors.

Any suggestions from the realtors here? Diana?

jerezdevil, nevermind, I found the review. What a nightmare!!

Last edited by Alinka; 06-20-2021 at 04:30 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 12:39 AM

Yeah, the one in Bellingham talking how they hear their neighbor grinding coffee and walking to the toilet etc, lol.

I have lived in old apartments where you cannot hear anything except loud music. No floor creeks or tv. One was 1930s built with marble and thick heavy walls. Those would be found in an old part of town. I currently live in an apartment where the walls seem thin but the floors don't creek. I recommend finding a unit on the corner of a building, for more windows and peace. Or do a 2 floor condo., u have nobody below or over you.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:59 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Amazing, and not in a good way. (Regarding the trains.) Would the same or similar apply to Gig Harbor or Des Moines? This site has been so valuable to me. Many posters have brought up topics and issues that just aren't in my frame of reference in terms of even having an inquiry.

freepelican- since you mentioned similar interests could you share the communities that interest you and your requirements as well as price range?

mayfair- I've never considered island living. Do those you mentioned have towns or is everything dependent on ferry transport? I've heard that the islands are very $$$...
Well, there's Stanwood, which is adjacent to Camano Island, but on the mainland. Past posters have said they loved it. And as to the pricing, the islands you've heard are expensive are the ones that are for vacationers and wealthy people with large estates, that are accessible only by ferry. There are islands linked to the mainland by a short bridge or a short ferry ride. Anacortes itself is on Fidalgo Island, though you'd never know it's on an island, just visiting casually.

You're moving to a marine environment, OP; islands are part of the package. And some are affordable.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-21-2021 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-21-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
OP, water views, sunsets, woodsy, and birds... sounds a lot like what I want. I'm considering Edmonds too and other places around Puget Sound. I think there's something you need to know though... in my opinion, a MAJOR problem... there train tracks that run right along much of the Puget Sound coast, including the entire length of Edmonds. The trains are frequent and very noisy and dangerous... spoiling the peace you might otherwise have near the water.... and so loud, even a ways from the water.
I've always wondered about that, in relation to Bellingham, and especially Edgemoor. Here you have this exclusive neighborhood with some very high-end homes with beautiful views of the water, but there are trains running through throughout the day! That seems strange. It wouldn't be bad if it was just twice/day, but it sounds like a pretty active route.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Mrs. elkotronics and I lived in Stanwood for 3 years, starting in the late 80's. It is a small town with easy traffic to navigate. Real easy access to Camano Island. It's a real quiet town, we rented a townhouse apartment with a bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The apartment was brand new. No trouble from neighbors, everyone was well-behaved, no loud music or wild parties. In fact, we befriended our neighbors and had dinner together, etc.

But it's a laid-back town. Great downtown bakery that's been there as long as BigFoot has roamed the earth (a long time). The only eency-weency complaint I could come up with has ta do with grocery shopping. Not a lot of choice there. We used to drive the back route to Mt. Vernon and go to the food co-op there. One time in line Graham Kerr (the Galloping Gourment) came up behind us. We chatted some small talk for a while. He lived on Camano Island at the time.

Camano Island is a beautiful island with nice views here and there. The road was good quality, fairly freshly-paved at that time. Not a bumpy road. Camano Island State Park looks out to the west towards the middle of Whidbey Island. Nice park with boating, fishing, swimming and hiking. We would walk our dogs there - great park for that. Really a good place to live, the Stanwood-Camano Island area. We moved to buy our first house in Everett - there was no reason to leave it other than that opportunity that opened up.

I worked for Boeing's Everett Division at the time and entered I-5 southbound in the morning real early from that on-ramp. Oh the memories. Really good ones of that location.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Mrs. elkotronics and I lived in Stanwood for 3 years, starting in the late 80's. It is a small town with easy traffic to navigate. Real easy access to Camano Island. It's a real quiet town, we rented a townhouse apartment with a bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The apartment was brand new. No trouble from neighbors, everyone was well-behaved, no loud music or wild parties. In fact, we befriended our neighbors and had dinner together, etc.

But it's a laid-back town. Great downtown bakery that's been there as long as BigFoot has roamed the earth (a long time). The only eency-weency complaint I could come up with has ta do with grocery shopping. Not a lot of choice there. We used to drive the back route to Mt. Vernon and go to the food co-op there. One time in line Graham Kerr (the Galloping Gourment) came up behind us. We chatted some small talk for a while. He lived on Camano Island at the time.

Camano Island is a beautiful island with nice views here and there. The road was good quality, fairly freshly-paved at that time. Not a bumpy road. Camano Island State Park looks out to the west towards the middle of Whidbey Island. Nice park with boating, fishing, swimming and hiking. We would walk our dogs there - great park for that. Really a good place to live, the Stanwood-Camano Island area. We moved to buy our first house in Everett - there was no reason to leave it other than that opportunity that opened up.

I worked for Boeing's Everett Division at the time and entered I-5 southbound in the morning real early from that on-ramp. Oh the memories. Really good ones of that location.
What a nice, informative post for the OP! I'm glad my suggestion inspired you to wax enthusiastic about Standwood. I was impressed with that Mt. Vernon co-op when I stopped in once, en route to B'ham. And could you give me the name of that bakery in Standwood? Ya think it's still there? It's been a long time since the 80's... I love to have fun in a good bakery.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Going by the map of Stanwood bakeries it appears the old bakery we used ta go to is now a gift shop called The Picnic Pantry and Parlour. It appears there's a new place called Stanwood Cupcakes across the street, however.

I'd check that place out if back in the Seattle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington