Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:57 PM

726 posts, read 1,368,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Ah... I guess the excitement of the slug races is just difficult to get across on the internet.

Are we talking cute banana slugs? Sounds like it should take place in Santa Cruz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
jerezdevil,

Probably my priorities are water views (waterfront if $$$), and sunset views as well as a balcony or terrace. Previously I lived at 5000ft and had a great city and sunset view- both of which I miss; no water views to be had here but I had a pond. The property was at the edge of open space, so especially with the pond there were a lot of birds.

I don't want large and especially don't want grounds to maintain. My first choice is a high rise condo. Since I'm not familiar with the area I'm challenged to find the right community.

Like you, I wouldn't want a five bath monster either! Sq ft 1500-2000, 2/3, 1.5/2. Not fancy, but upgraded.

OP, water views, sunsets, woodsy, and birds... sounds a lot like what I want. I'm considering Edmonds too and other places around Puget Sound. I think there's something you need to know though... in my opinion, a MAJOR problem... there train tracks that run right along much of the Puget Sound coast, including the entire length of Edmonds. The trains are frequent and very noisy and dangerous... spoiling the peace you might otherwise have near the water.... and so loud, even a ways from the water. Many of the waterfront parks from Golden Gate Park in Seattle and then north all the way up have to have "sky walks" up and over the tracks because the tracks run through the park and very close to the water. Spend an hour at any of these parks and you can have two or three very long and very loud trains roar by. Not conducive to communing with nature while watching the sunset. Loud and obnoxious enough sound to hurt your ears and certainly drowns out all nature sounds. It kind of amazes me how many nice houses are built on bluffs right over the tracks, literally, or very nearby. Many of these trains carry oil and they are increasing in number at an alarming rate. They are also bringing coal and chemicals through in these trains. It's a disaster waiting to happen, and in fact, there have been some explosions/fires. You have to wonder why a place with so much beauty hasn't decommissioned these trains a long time ago... but I have read that local politicians have received massive political contributions (millions for elections like county commissioner or state rep) to do their bidding... under the radar without a lot of people really knowing about it. I've also read that they now want to lay DOUBLE tracks and increase the train traffic even more, especially coal trains... and oil trains. Edmonds has conducted studies to try to figure out how to deal with it. I believe, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm still learning the area), the condos at Edmonds Point are actually between the water and the train tracks so when a train is going by, emergency services like ambulances and police are cut off from that area.... this has evidently been quite a problem. I believe this growing problem with affect real estate values over time. Anyway, I've probably said enough for now on this subject but it is very disappointing. I'd love to hear other people's opinion on this. OP, you may want to pull up maps of where the train tracks are (Google doesn't emphasize them but you can see them if you zoom in). You may be shocked to see just how close to the Puget Sound coastline they are and just how far they go.... there are also offshoots to consider.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:01 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
OP, water views, sunsets, woodsy, and birds... sounds a lot like what I want. I'm considering Edmonds too and other places around Puget Sound. I think there's something you need to know though... in my opinion, a MAJOR problem... there train tracks that run right along much of the Puget Sound coast, including the entire length of Edmonds. The trains are frequent and very noisy and dangerous... spoiling the peace you might otherwise have near the water.... and so loud, even a ways from the water.
This is absolutely true. The places to avoid train noise and have a water view around this side of the Sound are the islands- Camano, Whidbey, San Juans. You run into jet noise, though, but it isn't daily and year round like the trains. When a mudslide blocks the tracks (happens sometimes in winter), you notice the peaceful silence.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,118 times
Amazing, and not in a good way. (Regarding the trains.) Would the same or similar apply to Gig Harbor or Des Moines? This site has been so valuable to me. Many posters have brought up topics and issues that just aren't in my frame of reference in terms of even having an inquiry.

freepelican- since you mentioned similar interests could you share the communities that interest you and your requirements as well as price range?

mayfair- I've never considered island living. Do those you mentioned have towns or is everything dependent on ferry transport? I've heard that the islands are very $$$...

Old 06-19-2021, 04:21 PM

14,495 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Amazing, and not in a good way. (Regarding the trains.) Would the same or similar apply to Gig Harbor or Des Moines? This site has been so valuable to me. Many posters have brought up topics and issues that just aren't in my frame of reference in terms of even having an inquiry.

There's no train tracks along the water in Gig Harbor or anywhere in the peninsula that I can think of.

It's not everywhere... but there are some parts on the mainland side.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:00 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,998 times
Quote:

freepelican- since you mentioned similar interests could you share the communities that interest you and your requirements as well as price range?

mayfair- I've never considered island living. Do those you mentioned have towns or is everything dependent on ferry transport? I've heard that the islands are very $$$...
No trains in Gig Harbor, don't recall seeing/hearing any in Des Moines.

Des Moines would be a good place to look, there is some condo's down there and I like there little "downtown". Close to major towns and amenities. There is some beautiful properties closer to Burien Seahurst area but not sure if condos.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Des Moines would be a good place to look, there is some condo's down there and I like there little "downtown". Close to major towns and amenities. There is some beautiful properties closer to Burien Seahurst area but not sure if condos.
Des Moines has noise from Sea Tac Airport, though. Parts of Des Moines are really nice otherwise. All of these choices depend on how sensitive people are to noise and how much of an issue that is.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,118 times
Des Moines is on my list; so far have seen only one condo there and think it was $1.2. "Little downtown" sounds very appealing.

Excellent observation about train and plane noise and how subjective perception is.

I grew up in the Hudson River Valley and trains were just a part of everyday life; didn't have one terribly close by though.

At my previous house in the city where I'm currently located I was almost under a flight path and enjoyed seeing the planes arriving and departing. Again though, not close enough to be disruptive.

Regarding my hoped for condo, I think I'm more concerned about soundproofing and a strong HOA to keep neighbor noise in check.

Last edited by Alinka; 06-19-2021 at 06:25 PM..

Old 06-19-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Regarding my hoped for condo, I think I'm more concerned about soundproofing and a strong HOA to keep neighbor noise in check.

I've considered a condo instead of a house but noise coming through the walls/floor/ceiling is a major concern for me as well. Can people comment on how you can tell how soundproofed a condo unit is?

I'm also a fan of privacy... so many condos seem to constructed in a way you can peer right into your neighbors windows/deck.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:53 PM

14,495 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I've considered a condo instead of a house but noise coming through the walls/floor/ceiling is a major concern for me as well. Can people comment on how you can tell how soundproofed a condo unit is?

Ask the neighbor to make a bunch of noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington