Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 08:19 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
It was interesting reading your responses. I haven't looked at the links but will soon.

I meant $850k to purchase. When my friend and I were making plans he strongly felt that to purchase land and build on it was the best option. He cited it being less expensive in the long run and getting exactly what we wanted in terms of design. But surely not something I will/can undertake on my own!

Geographically I don't know many of the areas of the country well. What I do have memories of is the Hudson River Valley in NY where while the City was always an influence each town had its own uniqueness. That's probably the best I've got in describing what I'm looking for.

Do Bellingham, Port Orchard and Poulsbo have that "town" feeling?

I'm getting from Sockeye66 Gig Harbor not so much?

My veterinarian grew up in Edmonds/Bothell and highly recommends it- any thoughts?

Thanks again and thank you Crazy Donkey for the listings- that's where I'm going right now.
Oh my mistake - glad everybody else was on the right track!

It’s a very healthy budget for many of the smaller towns in this area. Gig Harbor very much has that small town feel... maybe even more than some of the others, although it has grown a lot in recent years. I lived there for several years and we have a family beach house there still. While there is quite a bit of new development and modern shopping and all the major stores up by the freeway, there is still a Scandinavian and fisherman’s-village type influence about downtown old town in the harbor. City planners have maintained a nice balance with landscaping and sign ordinances that help keep the small town aesthetic.

Location is beautiful and central to everything. Close to i-5 and central to Puget Sound it’s easy for you to get to anywhere else you want to go in Western Washington. The problem with Bellingham is you’re up at the corner of the state and it’s a long ways to anywhere.

Alternately you might consider Poulsbo area or Steilacoom also. Poulsbo is probably the most expensive of the areas being talked about, but Poulsbo and Steilacoom may be most likely to have the kind of waterfront or woodsy view condos you mention.

Or you can branch out to one of the even smaller towns in the area, and find a nice place on 5 acres with nice views and all the songbirds you can want.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 06-15-2021 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 08:30 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Anacortes or Coupeville?

Old 06-15-2021, 10:21 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,699 times
OP, what Diana said about GH is correct, the core downtown is a post card at the ready. If commuting isn't a hindrance and you find the right property than it's worth looking at.

I think Anacortes is very cool too, just be ready for the annual "Oyster Run".

Old 06-15-2021, 05:00 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,360 times
Ha! Had to google "Oyster Run". One of the appeals of the PS is seafood; here in the SW the availability is lacking to say the least. So I anticipated OR as something to do with consuming oysters...

Going to look at Point Edwards now- thanks Botev1912.

Diana, acreage was part of the original plan but unfortunately nothing I can handle on my own. So it goes.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:49 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
OP, what Diana said about GH is correct, the core downtown is a post card at the ready. If commuting isn't a hindrance and you find the right property than it's worth looking at.

I think Anacortes is very cool too, just be ready for the annual "Oyster Run".
And Musselfest in Coupeville
I lived for a short while in Anacortes and left to be closer to our new grandkids. But I do love it there.
It was pretty cool to sit in the living room and watch ships go by thru the trees.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:58 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Don't forget The Slug Races in.... Elma I think.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:52 PM

467 posts, read 526,191 times
And in Montana we had the Testicle Festival…..

Old 06-16-2021, 05:42 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post

Do Bellingham, Port Orchard and Poulsbo have that "town" feeling?

My veterinarian grew up in Edmonds/Bothell and highly recommends it- any thoughts?

Thanks again and thank you Crazy Donkey for the listings- that's where I'm going right now.
Bellingham is more of small city, but with "small town" areas - Fairhaven, especially. Closer to Vancouver BC than Seattle. Edmonds is cool, but very much in the Seattle orbit. Bothell and Port Orchard, no.

Here's a cute house with a fenced backyard in the Happy Valley area of Bellingham, near Fairhaven, WWU, Sehome Hill Arboretum, Lake Padden:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...23601110_zpid/

Old 06-16-2021, 07:00 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,360 times
While I will pass on the other festivals mentioned I would definitely enjoy that musselfest in coupleville (thanks mistyriver).

Anacortes and Bellingham both sound interesting as well. I enjoyed looking at Edmonds Point too. Probably the only practical SFH for me would be in a gated community where landscaping is included.

I enjoyed Seattle the times I've visited and especially enjoyed time spent in the Sooke area of Vancouver Island. That's an interesting perspective about the towns and their "orbit", CrazyDonkey because I actually don't anticipate spending time in Seattle.

If anyone knows of any condo and/or communities by name- that's really helpful for me as I do this preliminary searching from a distance.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:53 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,557 times
If I were wanting to see birds from my window, I would look outside city limits. There are birds in town but nothing like if you live up the foot of a mountain or right on the waterfront with a front view from your window. At $850k I would make sure all my checkpoints are fully checked off. I lived at a 2500' elevation and the view was just priceless. I would simply look out the window and feel good. Some people buy a home with 5 bathrooms and luxury-everything but I would choose a great view over all of that.

The county/ region is very important. If you could zero in on an area, the search would be easier. What is the minimum sq ft needed, and do you need a private garage, lobby, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington