Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,103,244 times

Advertisements

I am either flying up or driving up to Sequim this coming Thursday afternoon from Danville CA.
I’m pondering on what I need to rent if I have to fly and rent a car.
If I drive up it will be on the eve of 2/12 with my 2017 Honda CRV w/all wheel drive but if work gives me more projects I will fly up on early 2/14 and I will need to rent a car.
I’d like to go cheap but I need safety.
Cheap is $32 per day to rent the cheapest POS car and I’m cool with that.
Safe cars cost over a hundred dollars per day and being that I’m a stingy SOB that matters a lot to me.
Can I get a cheap ass car that will do this trip if it snows next week between 2/14 thru 2/18 ?
Thank you.
Andy.wo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 PM

14,568 posts, read 12,232,301 times
I got around a lot of years with just a front wheel drive, up to ski resorts and down...

But I wouldn't want to be without 4wd now.

Whatever you get, go slow to be safe, and get the insurance in case somebody hits you.

You never know... this might be all gone by Thursday... I kinda hope so, because I have a client coming in and a long tour planned (!) But right now... it's too soon to tell.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,103,244 times
Thank you Diana,
I appreciate it.
I was thinking the same thing.
It will cost us a couple more hundred bucks but we will be safer.
All the best.
Andy

Old 02-08-2019, 07:14 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,155,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I got around a lot of years with just a front wheel drive, up to ski resorts and down...

But I wouldn't want to be without 4wd now.

Whatever you get, go slow to be safe, and get the insurance in case somebody hits you.

You never know... this might be all gone by Thursday... I kinda hope so, because I have a client coming in and a long tour planned (!) But right now... it's too soon to tell.
The cold weather is going to last for at least two more weeks.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:14 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,325,352 times
Up at the border: nothin' doin'

A tiny flake or two this morning but still nothing. It's dark now and clear.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 PM

7,040 posts, read 4,925,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am either flying up or driving up to Sequim this coming Thursday afternoon from Danville CA.
If I drive up it will be on the eve of 2/12 with my 2017 Honda CRV w/all wheel drive but if work gives me more projects I will fly up on early 2/14 and I will need to rent a car.
Safe cars cost over a hundred dollars per day and being that I’m a stingy SOB that matters a lot to me.
Can I get a cheap ass car that will do this trip if it snows next week between 2/14 thru 2/18 ?
Thank you.
Andy.wo
Depends on where you're going. We're supposed (and take that with a grain of salt) to have snow all through next week. The main roads should be plowed and/or sanded or salted. But beyond that, frankly I'd say you're not going anywhere. They got slammed today for snow. My friend in Poulsbo has 5" of snow on her front lawn and the road to Hwy 3 is still slick with ice.

Here's the WSDOT cams for the roads. If you zoom out to 2, you can see the road cams for Sequim and Port Angeles (if the Sequim one is working, that is).

https://www.wsdot.com/traffic/cwcam.aspx

On the other hand:

So this afternoon it started to rain and that was the end of our snow. I gave up and went to do something else. At 9pm I looked out the window - nothing but wet pavement. Thirty minutes later I looked again and it was winter wonderland. It's not much and it's stopping again now, but we now have snow on the roads and all over the sidewalks, which we didn't have before. But it looks like it's stopping again. I have the feeling this snow is going to be a bust.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 PM

7,040 posts, read 4,925,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Thank you.
Andy.wo
Depends on where you're going. We're supposed (and take that with a grain of salt) to have snow all through next week. The main roads should be plowed and/or sanded or salted. But beyond that, frankly I'd say you're not going anywhere. They got slammed today for snow. My friend in Poulsbo has 5" of snow on her front lawn and her road to Hwy 3 is still slick with ice. This is Hwy 3 in Poulsbo about a mile from where my friend lives.

https://www.wsdot.com/traffic/hoodca....aspx?cam=9193

Here's the WSDOT cams for the roads. You can see the road cams for Sequim and Port Angeles (if the Sequim one is working, that is).

https://www.wsdot.com/traffic/cwcam.aspx

On the other hand:

So this afternoon it started to rain and that was the end of our snow. I gave up and went to do something else. At 9pm I looked out the window - nothing but wet pavement. Thirty minutes later I looked again and it was winter wonderland. It's not much and it's stopping again now, but we now have snow on the roads and all over the sidewalks, which we didn't have before. But it looks like it's stopping again. I have the feeling this snow is going to be a bust.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,800,896 times
Still coming down here in Tacoma/Seattle. We’re about 4” on the ground, less than that on the pavement.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,701 posts, read 81,510,683 times
That’s about what we got, 4”, about a third of what we got last week, and at 25F not nearly as cold. My family in Sequim got more, over a foot. With our mountains and water, there is no way to predict who will get hit the hardest by any storm. For next weekend I would go with safety over thrift and get a CUV with all wheel drive, perhaps a Subaru. Highway 101 in Sequim/Port Angeles was treacherous yesterday.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 AM

4,622 posts, read 3,325,352 times
Still not a drop or flake at the border. Very light overcast. I heard the wind come up last night, but this morning even that's almost gone. (9 AM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington