Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And at the end of the day, one has to wonder why anyone gives a flying crap about a friggin Whole Foods grocery store? Is this the new trend in urban areas to "move on up to the East Side" like George and Weezie? It's totally mindboggling that so much emphasis is put on this price gouging food market. Who needs a Whole Foods to make them feel uppity? LOL Apparently urban neighborhoods!

I've got loads of money and I'm happy when I see a dollar store being built! Maybe that should be the real lesson to be learned....not spending entire paychecks on a grocery concept built on a fad and taking an entire paycheck...... but spending less and saving more!
I agree. Some people use it as a means to brag about where they live. But I would say that is a small few.

But historically, there are some very real influences that Whole Foods brings when moving to a neighborhood. A few of them are increased home values and better amenities. So, when people get excited about a Whole Foods coming to their neighborhood, there is a real financial payoff. Whether that happens here or not, we'll see. But historically that has been the case. Even if they don't shop there, their neighborhood gets placed "on the map" and then becomes more desired. Weird, I know. But it has happened.

Also, historically, Whole Foods brings better retail to an area. Not so much if the area is already affluent like Bethesda or Arlington. But for regular middle class neighborhoods, the ancillary retail Whole Foods brings is a shot in the arm for retail options in those neighborhoods and shines a light on the neighborhood in the retail world. So, people may get a little exited in that regard.

It has been said that Whole Foods may have influenced the 4-star hotel coming to College Park. Hyatt House is coming to Riverdale. There's not one hotel in all of Riverdale or even Hyattsville for that matter. and there is not one Hyatt hotel in the entire county. The best RT.1 could do as far as hotels are low-quality inns. Now a 4-start hotel is under construction and a Hyatt is coming. That is a real world Whole Foods affect. There is hope that Whole Foods will help bring more firsts to the county.

For me personally, I just love their food selection. We just had chipotle marinated hamburgers from the Silver Spring WFM (closest for me) last night and my wife said that has to be the best hamburger she's tasted in a while. And we've had craft burgers from Canada to Florida. Their food just tastes better. I like their marinated chicken. I think their prepared food selections are better than just about ever other grocery store besides Wegmans.

Presentation is everything. I like the options in their butcher department. Their seafood section is kind small though. The only grocer that has a comparable presentation and experience is Wegmans. Which is why so many people love Wegmans as well. But Wegmans is too far for me. The new WFM in Riverdale is a short 10 minute drive for me.

Some people don't care about their shopping experience. Therefore you have those who don't mind going to Aldis or Shoppers.

I also like new and interesting products Whole Foods introduces from time to time rather than the same products from General Mills, Nestle and the rest of the major American food conglomerates. I can find more local and craft brands in Whole Foods than I can in Safeway, Giant, and definitely Aldis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 AM

This article may shed some light on the slow progress of construction. According to the article, they have to pull permits for each building. They can't continue to build the next phases until those permits are in hand. Also, inspections have to be made on the buildings already finished. I thought the county streamlined the permit process.

Quote:
Susan Lareuse, who works with both the county’s planning department and the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, said the project’s length was increased due to the need for rezoning for a combined-use area, meaning both residential and commercial buildings. It is also due to the time it takes to pull permits, she said.

“Overall the project has been in the process for many, many years. Close to 10,” she said.

The project has obtained building permits for multiple buildings, according to Lareuse. She said as the developers continue their project they will have to obtain a permit for each step of the process, which includes inspections for adherence to code. As it stands, she said, they have pulled at least three external permits.

“They’re at the point now where they can build. Once they get their permits, they can build,” she said.
Riverdale Park Station progressing slowly but surely

Old 08-10-2015, 08:15 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Riverdale Park Station progressing slowly but surely

That's one hell of a peculiar piece to say the least. It leaves waaaay more questions unanswered, than answered. Not sure what to make of it, but my instinct says it's an attempted cover up snow job, hide in plain sight attempt. I read it twice, so many internal contradictions jumped out I still couldn't make much sense of it, so I decided to parse it.

First sentence out of the box.......
Quote:
With the shells of a few buildings nearing completion, Calvin Cafritz Enterprises continues to make progress on the Riverdale Park Station plans.
A few buildings? How about one building? The only building meeting that description is building 3 on the plan. The foundations for other buildings are not even in.

2nd sentence......
Quote:
The development, which started in 2006, is located along Highway 1 in Riverdale and is still in the early stages of building and obtaining permits for both the building and the occupancy of the building.
1st sentence, nearing completion of multiple buildings, 2nd sentence early stages of singular building.
Result complete confusion.

Next:
Quote:
“That was the shared vision of my husband Calvin and I when we began this project in 2006,” said Cafritz.
Was? Past tense. No longer? Change of plan?

Quote:
Susan Lareuse, who works with both the county’s planning department and the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, said the project’s length was increased due to the need for rezoning for a combined-use area, meaning both residential and commercial buildings.
This suggest a change of plan, like putting residential above retail?
Is this a new rezoning application submitted since construction began?
Are the developers making this up as the go along?
Or is Lareuse referencing past controversy to explain current construction delays?
Neither option makes much sense to me.

Quote:
It is also due to the time it takes to pull permits, she said.
The project has obtained building permits for multiple buildings, according to Lareuse. She said as the developers continue their project they will have to obtain a permit for each step of the process, which includes inspections for adherence to code. As it stands, she said, they have pulled at least three external permits.
I think everyone understands what the term to "obtain a permit" means, but in this context what does the term "pulling a permit" mean?
Delaying, postponing, cancelling ? For what purpose? To change?

Quote:
They’re at the point now where they can build. Once they get their permits, they can build,” she said.
So they still don't have permits? Seems getting or obtaining, and pulling are different.

Quote:
As the buildings start to form, Cafritz said she intends for both Hyatt House and Whole Foods to move into the development.
The Whole Foods building has been ready for internal fit out since at least April, and nothing has happened. No access road or parking lot for WFM, never mind any additional buildings. Suggests the hotel is next in line. WFM & retailers won't be happy with that.

Quote:
Despite the developer’s intentions, Anika Jackson, a spokesperson for MNCPPC, said no use or occupancy permits have been issued for the development, meaning businesses cannot move in until they are issued.
I wonder what's frustrating the developer's intentions? Based on the current cold dark shell status of the WFM building, there's zero evidence that they'll be applying for any use or occupancy permits any time soon.

Quote:
“Riverdale Park Station will also offer a variety of housing from townhomes to rental units. We can’t wait to see this vibrant mixed-use community come to life over the next several years,” Cafritz said.
I'm pretty sure WFM and the other retailers won't be happy with either that format, schedule, or time scale.
The usual procedure is that some or all of the residential component goes in first, like they're currently doing at Greenbelt Metro, and then retail follows. This appears to be the reverse.

Maybe because of that, the finance people have pulled out, and Cafritz is looking for new backers?
I dunno, just a possibility, and I could certainly see why that would happen with the proposal as outlined in the piece.

Bizzaro!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:52 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And at the end of the day, one has to wonder why anyone gives a flying crap about a friggin Whole Foods grocery store? Is this the new trend in urban areas to "move on up to the East Side" like George and Weezie? It's totally mindboggling that so much emphasis is put on this price gouging food market. Who needs a Whole Foods to make them feel uppity? LOL Apparently urban neighborhoods!

I've got loads of money and I'm happy when I see a dollar store being built! Maybe that should be the real lesson to be learned....not spending entire paychecks on a grocery concept built on a fad and taking an entire paycheck...... but spending less and saving more!
true dat… who cares about whole foods?

Old 08-16-2015, 03:27 PM

206 posts, read 209,896 times
The Cafritz project is being built as approved. Development is limited until the road and bridge is constructed which links the project to the other side of the railroad tracks. If their is a holdup, it will be because the approval process for the bridge is moving slowly.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
The Cafritz project is being built as approved. Development is limited until the road and bridge is constructed which links the project to the other side of the railroad tracks. If their is a holdup, it will be because the approval process for the bridge is moving slowly.
When people make absolute and declarative statements such as these, without any supporting evidence, my BS alarm bells start ringing loudly. A delay in road and bridge permitting is certainly a plausible possibility, but to imply that it is the only possible source of delay rules out a lot of other alternatives.
If as you imply, it's the only obstacle, I wonder why the Sentinel piece, which quoted both developer and planning personnel extensively, made no mention of it? Doesn't compute.

To accept that the project is progressing as planned is a more difficult ask.

While the road and bridge are a welcome and desired component of the project, to imply that they are mission critical from day one is a bit of a reach in my view. Particularly so, in light of the Jane Cafritz quote in the Sentinel piece that the project is still several years from completion. At what point will the road and bridge not be mission critical? After they are completed? Does the Cafritz statement imply that the Whole foods won't be opening until then, maybe for several years? I think Whole Foods and other retailers would open if they were confident that the road and bridge would be open within a reasonable time frame, say 6-18 months.

In my view a much more important metric for delay is the so far apparent unwillingness of other retailers to follow the lead set by Whole Foods, a magnet retailer, and commit to the project. That fuels perceptions right or wrong that the deal was a political not economic one for Whole Foods, and the other retailers who are under no pressure to make a political decision, have thus far made only the economic decision of, I'll take a pass on this one for now.

You say you're not sure if there is a hold up, but if there is, you're absolutely sure what's causing it, the road and bridge planning. That simply defies logic. It's like saying if you encounter a backup on the Beltway it will be because of a broken down vehicle, rather than an accident. Makes no sense.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:58 PM

New construction updates with dates. I drove by the site on Saturday and saw backhoes in motion.

Quote:
WHAT TO EXPECT ON-SITE THE NEXT TWO WEEKS:

During the next two weeks of work, the General Contractor, L.F. Jennings, and their subcontractors will continue site construction around the Whole Foods Market and along Route 1. Underground utility work to install storm drains, water mains, conduits and sanitary sewers is proceeding in multiple areas on the site. Pepco crews are currently installing cabling and equipment for permanent power on site. Gas main installation from Route 1 into the site by Washington Gas should begin by 9/21/15.

The contractor will begin to install a 48” drainage culvert pipe under the CSX railroad tracks as part of the storm water management requirements on 9/14/15. Once this culvert is completed (estimated date is 10/30/15), the construction of a large storm water management pond in the NE corner of the site can begin.

Lane Closures:
New storm water outfall line, sanitary sewer, and water main connections in Route 1 have been installed. Other utility connections for, Verizon, Comcast and natural gas will now commence.
Construction Updates

Old 09-14-2015, 03:30 PM

Bout time!
I saw H&R recently announced a bunch of local retail lease signings, but nothing for the subject property.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 AM

Updated construction notes.

Quote:
Grading for the pervious pavement drainage system, under the Whole Foods parking lot, will begin soon. Gas main installation from Route 1 into the site by Washington Gas is scheduled to begin on 10/12/15.

Construction of the Building 2 Garage footings and retaining walls will begin on 9/30/15. Screen walls, seat walls and other site hardscape structures in Gateway Park (adjacent to Route 1) will begin after Building 2 garage walls are completed.
For those wondering where building 2 is located....

(Circled in red).

Attached Thumbnails
Riverdale Park Station - News, Events, Updates, Questions and Developments Etc.-building2.jpg  

Old 09-28-2015, 11:31 AM

At the current pace of construction, I wouldn't expect Whole Foods to open before the year is out. I would expect a January/February opening at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland