Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times

Advertisements

In a previous thread a suggestion was made to begin a thread dedicated to the happenings at the National Harbor. As such, I created this thread to capture the aforementioned info on the Harbor. Maybe the same can be done for other major developments that have reoccuring threads. Let's Keep the conversation flowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Ketchup Restaurant Temporarily Closed

Went to the National Harbor over the weekend and saw that Ketchup was closed. Although I am not a big fan, I was curious about what happened. According to comments on their facebook page, apparently they shut down temporarily to pursue a lawsuit against someone who embezzled money from that location. Not sure what one has to do with the other but if I hear anything else, I will post it here. I encourage others to do the same.

One question I have for the group is do you think that it needs to reopen? Why or why not? If it doesn't reopen what would you like to see there in its place?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Went to the National Harbor over the weekend and saw that Ketchup was closed. Although I am not a big fan, I was curious about what happened. According to comments on their facebook page, apparently they shut down temporarily to pursue a lawsuit against someone who embezzled money from that location. Not sure what one has to do with the other but if I hear anything else, I will post it here. I encourage others to do the same.

One question I have for the group is do you think that it needs to reopen? Why or why not? If it doesn't reopen what would you like to see there in its place?

When visiting NH it never screamed to me as a first choice. We still haven't gotten around to checking it out. Therefore, if it goes, we won't miss it. I think there are better entertainer-owned venues that would fair much better. I wouldn't mind a Planet Hollywood or a Hard-Rock-esq type establishment to keep the Hollywood connection. I had always envisioned a Rainforest Cafe at NH as well that would have complimented Disney and the Children's Museum. With Disney gone, it would still do well I think.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
When visiting NH it never screamed to me as a first choice. We still haven't gotten around to checking it out. Therefore, if it goes, we won't miss it. I think there are better entertainer-owned venues that would fair much better. I wouldn't mind a Planet Hollywood or a Hard-Rock-esq type establishment to keep the Hollywood connection. I had always envisioned a Rainforest Cafe at NH as well that would have complimented Disney and the Children's Museum. With Disney gone, it would still do well I think.
You are not missing much with Ketchup....Its overpriced for what they offer. That said, it would be good to see something else there. The signage on the doors/windows when I passed by made it appear that there would be something taking its place but apparently it's supposed to be temporary. If it takes too long I could see NH pulling their lease to put something else there. That is too premium a spot to let it sit empty. I thought about the Rainforest Cafe too since they are owned by the same company as M&S which is already there. It would have to be a big space since it is not a small restaurant. I also thought Downtown Aquarium (also owned by Landry's) would be a good option for bringing something that is not in the area to the Harbor. It would also compliement the Children's Museum while playing off the waterfront theme.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
You know what I wish to see at NH? An aquarium! I remember on the news a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about the National Aquarium underneath the Commerce Department downtown was closing its doors and that all of the creatures will be relocated to the National Aquarium in Inner Harbor. I was thinking at the time, wouldn't it be a lovely attraction to have a large-scale aquarium at National Harbor? I think an aquarium almost as big and grand (I love the architecture of both the original and new buildings) as the one in Baltimore would do further wonders for NH. Could generate a lot of revenue from tourists and metro-area visitors, make National Harbor even more aesthetically appealing from both a structural and destination standpoint, and I love the thought of Maryland having two major and well-known aquariums Btw, if there will ever be an aquarium in the future, which part of the Harbor would you guys like to see it rise?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You know what I wish to see at NH? An aquarium! I remember on the news a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about the National Aquarium underneath the Commerce Department downtown was closing its doors and that all of the creatures will be relocated to the National Aquarium in Inner Harbor. I was thinking at the time, wouldn't it be a lovely attraction to have a large-scale aquarium at National Harbor? I think an aquarium almost as big and grand (I love the architecture of both the original and new buildings) as the one in Baltimore would do further wonders for NH. Could generate a lot of revenue from tourists and metro-area visitors, make National Harbor even more aesthetically appealing from both a structural and destination standpoint, and I love the thought of Maryland having two major and well-known aquariums Btw, if there will ever be an aquarium in the future, which part of the Harbor would you guys like to see it rise?
I agree. Although it would need to have a different spin from what you have at the Inner Harbor. That's why I mentioned the Downtown Aquarium since it combines dining with a full on aquarium. It would be a nice fit by the outside feature of the CM. Below is the link so you can see what I am talking about.

Downtown Aquarium - Denver, CO

Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I agree. Although it would need to have a different spin from what you have at the Inner Harbor. That's why I mentioned the Downtown Aquarium since it combines dining with a full on aquarium. It would be a nice fit by the outside feature of the CM. Below is the link so you can see what I am talking about.

Downtown Aquarium - Denver, CO

That could work and would further strengthen NH as a destination. Maryland would have two awesome harbors then!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
That could work and would further strengthen NH as a destination. Maryland would have two awesome harbors then!
That's true. I actually just sent a suggestion to their community liaison. She is probably sick of my sending recommendations lol.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
That's true. I actually just sent a suggestion to their community liaison. She is probably sick of my sending recommendations lol.

Never know unless you try. I sent the UMD President recommendations and got a response!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Never know unless you try. I sent the UMD President recommendations and got a response!
That's true. Nothing beats a failure but a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland