Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:46 AM

12 posts, read 28,169 times

Advertisements

I've read a few articles on Washougal, and they seem to be progressing, and a I saw that they got a new brewery and restaurant here and there. I'm assuming they've finished the waterfront park, but not the play area, and have yet to begin building the Washougal Waterfront? I looked at the website for that, but no dates on building or finishing that I could find. Does anyone know anything more about it? The outlook, dates, etc?

Just wondering if I should put Washougal on my list of places to look at for my upcoming move. I originally ruled it out due to crime, but I think it's on par with the rest of Vancouver, crime-wise, as far as I can tell. If you stay around the edges, you're probably fine. Right?

Are there benefits to Washougal? You're further away from Vancouver and Portland, but you're closer to the Gorge, which is beautiful. Right on the river....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Pros:

Lots of interesting housing options if you want to live in a more natural or wild setting as Washougal backs up against forests rather than farmland so it feels different from other parts of rural Clark County that are more agricultural.

Downtown Washougal has good "bones" in that it has an actual downtown that is improving. Many other parts of Clark County are frankly nothing more than collections of subdivisions with no "there" there. Or else they are like Salmon Creek where it is all freeway style suburban retail rather than an actual downtown. In fact if you like a traditional walkable downtown there aren't many options in Clark County. There is of course downtown Vancouver and the uptown area. After that Camas, Washougal, and tiny Ridgefield. Most of the rest of Clark County is car-centric suburban sprawl.

Access to the Columbia if you are into boating, also access to the Gorge for recreation.

Fast access to winter sports if you ski. There are good cross country ski options further out the gorge at Trout Lake and from Washougal you can take the back way to Mt. Hood Meadows via Hood River without having to pass through Portland.

Cons:

School system is not as highly rated as nearby Camas or Evergreen. Not bad, just not as high performing as the more affluent Camas district. And that's mostly due to demographics. Just not as many demanding rich people with kids living in Washougal.

Longer commutes to anywhere. The ONLY way out of Washougal is to cross the 2-lane ancient bridge over the Camas Slough unless you drive on surface streets all through Camas. People who live in Washougal tell me this can complicate the commute if there are any problems at all on the bridge. I don't personally experience it but Stealth can probably give better advice on commuting as could anyone else who lives there.

Personally I don't think crime is a factor in Washougal any more than anyplace else in Clark County. This isn't Houston or Chicago.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 28,169 times
Thank you. Yes, I guess I am interested in having a walkable downtown. Mostly because it's what I'm used to, being from Sandpoint, ID (population around 8-9k). Nothing will compare to my little downtown area, but I do like downtown Vancouver, although there are still many empty retail spaces and work to be done. It sure will be nice to see them put some money into that waterfront area. Camas has a cute downtown area, but it's surprisingly small, considering the number of people that live there.

Schools are not really a concern for me, since our kids are grown, and I really would like to avoid the suburban sprawl you mentioned. I'm adamantly against "cookie-cutter" living. It's hard for me to take...boring.

I do like natural beauty though, and that was the draw to Washougal, although I know that river runs along everything there, the hills and gorge and trees just seem prettier over there, BUT I have not been to Washougal. I have only seen much of Vancouver and Camas. May be time for another trip over.

Thank you!

Old 06-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
remember... Camas and Washougal are 5 minutes apart... and actually border each other in the 'Walkable' sense.

Not Sandpoint by any means... only Fairhaven and Bellingham seem a viable comparison to Sandpoint. (IMHO) there are other Puget Sound towns that might pass as Sandpoint.

But even tho I am quiote far EAST / beyond Washougal... I enjoy a 22 minute trip to PDX (which I do a few times / week). in 26 yrs, I have only been stopped for traffic 1x on the 'Antique' slough bridge (And as a family we often make 4 trips / day across it).

Some day that will change (Washougal hosting 4 Parade of Homes has not helped.... thousands of new residents. ) (on the wrong / inaccessible side of the tracks)

Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
remember... Camas and Washougal are 5 minutes apart... and actually border each other in the 'Walkable' sense.

Not Sandpoint by any means... only Fairhaven and Bellingham seem a viable comparison to Sandpoint. (IMHO) there are other Puget Sound towns that might pass as Sandpoint.

But even tho I am quiote far EAST / beyond Washougal... I enjoy a 22 minute trip to PDX (which I do a few times / week). in 26 yrs, I have only been stopped for traffic 1x on the 'Antique' slough bridge (And as a family we often make 4 trips / day across it).

Some day that will change (Washougal hosting 4 Parade of Homes has not helped.... thousands of new residents. ) (on the wrong / inaccessible side of the tracks)
Good to know. I know there as a local controversy on another forum where Washougalites were furious that the state DOT was taking $$$ from a project to widen the Slough bridge (actually make a second bridge I think) and planning to use it to widen Highway 14 between 192nd and I-205 to help with the East Vancouver commuters. I never drive across it unless we are heading out to the gorge for recreation so what do I know.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 PM

BTW... Some day... Camas Waterfront will be a 'Gem' superb commercial development (backwater + Washougal River and access to Columbia Gorge) that will rival and far exceed Portland waterfront investment.

At the moment (and for my short remaining lifetime) that PRIME spot houses a Paper Mill (OK by me... ) but... eventually some bean counter will say "Sell that place" and the 'super-fund-cleanup' will begin (10+ yr process). It will go much faster than the Boise Cascade Cleanup in Port of Vancouver has gone.

The Railroad will not be impressed... I would expect they will build an artificial tunnel (Cover the railroad). but... You need an act of congress to get a Dept of Ecology permit from WA State to move one shovel of dirt that is within 300' of a WA 'water-way' . Stay tuned, but in 30 yrs... Camas will be magnificent. (for many) and I will be happily buried and pushing up daisy's 10 miles east.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:15 PM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah I don't think an average newcomer driving through Camas would see it as one of the most desirable places in the area. The paper mill and some run down looking buildings welcomes you to the city after getting off 14. The downtown is tiny and parking is an issue. But if/when that plant goes and it turns into a great view it's going to skyrocket even more.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM

Most people who live in the city of Camas actually use 192nd and 164th streets in East Vancouver as their "downtown" for shopping and such and only go into downtown Camas for the occasional Friday date night or to visit the library. Camas is really bi-polar. Most of the newer parts and especially the Prune Hill area are just an extension of the Vancouver area sprawl and bedroom communities for Portland-bound commuters. The older downtown area on 14 and the surrounding older neighborhoods of "old Camas" are pretty separate. The whole area is tied together by a single school district and common identity. But most Camas residents don't really use the downtown area for much.

Oh, and Parking isn't really an issue unless you are actually trying to park on 4th Ave. Just stay a block further south on 3rd Ave and there is always plenty of parking, even during civic events. Or on the surrounding streets further up the hill.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:45 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Most people who live in the city of Camas actually use 192nd and 164th streets in East Vancouver as their "downtown" for shopping and such and only go into downtown Camas for the occasional Friday date night or to visit the library. Camas is really bi-polar. Most of the newer parts and especially the Prune Hill area are just an extension of the Vancouver area sprawl and bedroom communities for Portland-bound commuters. The older downtown area on 14 and the surrounding older neighborhoods of "old Camas" are pretty separate. The whole area is tied together by a single school district and common identity. But most Camas residents don't really use the downtown area for much.
Spot-on. We're in downtown Portland way more than downtown Camas. Most "new-Camas" residents rarely are going east on the 14. And lots of great stuff on 192, 164, and the businesses in-between.

But this isn't a knock on old Camas or Washougal; we see a great dentist in Washougal, get our cars/tires serviced in Washougal, and will visit downtown Camas for an occasional lunch or dinner. It's a really nice area with beautiful scenery, some pockets of affordable real estate, and a safe place to raise one's family with room to run for your kids. It's just that our preferred destinations are nearer to the new Camas areas and Portland, i.e. west, south, and a few places north.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Spot-on. We're in downtown Portland way more than downtown Camas. Most "new-Camas" residents rarely are going east on the 14. And lots of great stuff on 192, 164, and the businesses in-between.

But this isn't a knock on old Camas or Washougal; we see a great dentist in Washougal, get our cars/tires serviced in Washougal, and will visit downtown Camas for an occasional lunch or dinner. It's a really nice area with beautiful scenery, some pockets of affordable real estate, and a safe place to raise one's family with room to run for your kids. It's just that our preferred destinations are nearer to the new Camas areas and Portland, i.e. west, south, and a few places north.
Perfect!!!

Then There are those of us EAST of the ancient bridge and in OLD SCHOOL Camas / Washougal who ...(if we had the variety of a "Fred Meyer" type store), would be happy to venture WEST of the ancient bridge once / month of so if absolutely necessary. I do get to PDX frequently, but Stop lights make me go POSTAL, so I seldom venture as far north as Mill Plain (5-8 stoplights)

Each to his own with 250 NEW residents / month (from the south) for the past 30 yrs... It was Great when Mill Plain and 164th was a single lane 4way stop (only 30 yrs ago). So goes the Californication of the western states, eventually we will all be ONE (California) again! (see how CARB helps unite us !!! (recent lawsuits), force compliance..

Excellent!

Welcome!

So.. for OP... Sandpoint exile. (Which has its own growth issues). You will feel right at home!

You see...A Perfect spot for everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area