Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 04:42 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
That's a good point, but school is going online - already is actually - and school is also bull**** for a lot of people nowadays choosing to just homeschool instead
Nevertheless, property values and gentrification is also intricately tied to school quality. Or perceived school quality. The top rated school districts in WA according to sites like Niche are all going to be the most gentrified and affluent suburban areas and perhaps college towns with lots of educated professionals. Count on it.

EDIT: What do you know. I looked it up and the top rated school district in Washington according to Niche is Mercer Island. Where the average home price according to Zillow is $1,992,847. Of course Mercer Island wasn't "gentrified" It has always been gentry. FYI, they rate Camas School District #11, Ridgefield at #38, and Evergreen at #78. No other SE Washington districts made the list.

Last edited by texasdiver; 10-28-2021 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 09:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Which doesn't mean only college towns and 'educated professional' areas (gag) are the ONLY gentrified towns in WA.

Stuff happens, and even us scumbag worker bees have to digest gentrification and it's glorious benefits.

Nice,
Really nice.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Which doesn't mean only college towns and 'educated professional' areas (gag) are the ONLY gentrified towns in WA.

Stuff happens, and even us scumbag worker bees have to digest gentrification and it's glorious benefits.

Nice,
Really nice.
Of course not. Some highly gentrified towns are more retiree or vacation destinations. Like, for example, Friday Harbor. I'm just pointing out that for Washougal to join with the other upscale gentrified parts of the Portland metro area I would expect the school ratings to need to rise too. It wont ever be the "next Camas" until the differences between the schools are considered more of a coin flip. They aren't there yet.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:58 AM

Washougal will become far more "up and coming" as soon as the locals with soiled fingers from working years to create a good community have all been displaced with "I've got mine, to heck with the locals". Coming soon to a town near you. (Including Washougal) probably 60-70% accomplished as of 2022.

Give it another 15 yrs.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:33 AM

20 posts, read 31,603 times
Anyone have more thoughts on what Washougal will be like in the next 5 years? What else is coming to the city?

It seems like Camas is developing at a fast rate but the area is also becoming quite dense. Where else are they going to keep building?

Old 08-18-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesurfer View Post
...Where else are they going to keep building?
They are still building in both towns, and plenty of annexed bare land in each.

Quite a lot of Camas new residential building north side of Columbia Ridge (up above Crown Road), spreading east and including Washougal boundaries. Plus north of Lacamas Lake. Hundreds of homes growing on previous productive farm and forest land there. New planning notices posted on several large parcels. There are at least 20 new homes on rural acreage currently being built east of Washougal in the CGNSA. Hundreds of riverfront apartments being built east of the marina. (3story with gabled trusses... Out of lumber!). Plus, City of Washougal has annexed hundreds of acres on the hills above HS. Ironically, I have heard no scuttle indicating an additional RR overpass in east Washougal being required to safely provide EMS services to the majority of residents already existing there, and where future growth will further stretch. The 32nd st round-about on SR14 effectively shuts down both east and westbound SR14 when there is a RR delay at crossing.

Lots of growth, plenty of available space for more. (For next 20+ yrs)

Just go to the Vista house, or Oregon Larch Mtn and observe the WA side light pollution and white homes and fences built right to the western border of CGNSA. It is very evident. 5 Washougal friends are building new houses at the moment. That's about normal within my circle of aquaintances.

There is no shortage of new building around here.

What else is coming to Washougal? Just go talk with City and County planning. They easily have a 5-10 year plan and many applications have been waiting review and approvals for over 3 years.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-18-2022 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 06:13 PM

Washougal has plans for more dense developments along the Columbia River. I don't know how many will come to fruition how fast. But I would expect the waterfront area to see a lot more multi-family development of various types.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,585 times
Gentrification generally refers to poor urban areas being changed by wealthier people moving in. Can't say I see Washougal as an urban area.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:17 AM

20 posts, read 31,603 times
2 questions... it was mentioned that 20 known homes are being built in Washougal in the CGNSA. I thought building in the CGNSA was very prohibitive?

And how does the city exactly go about annexing land from private owners?

Old 08-19-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesurfer View Post
2 questions... it was mentioned that 20 known homes are being built in Washougal in the CGNSA. I thought building in the CGNSA was very prohibitive?

And how does the city exactly go about annexing land from private owners?
You have to jump through the required hoops to get building permission in CGNSA, but it is allowed (within their rules) and lots of money helps (As witnessed on Marble Road when it crosses into CC!, and becomes SE 80th St). My Gorge approvals (Circa 1990's) cost me the price of a postage stamp to White Salmon ~$0.26. When the county building dept took over the approval process, my last approval (~2010) with Clark cost $26,000 initial fees to be granted permission to submit for plan review + fees and permits and impact fees. Skamania approvals were much less expensive, but time consuming. Klickitat was a breeze (They distain the CGNSA, but you need to spend a lot of time in Goldendale greasing the skids.).

The city petitions with local property owners to annex. Usually in collaboration with a land owner who just purchased a large parcel and platted to hundreds of building lots (i.e. many + votes to approve annexing). The city dangles the carrots of police and fire and EMS protection, water and sewer, sidewalks... but usually not highlighting the extra taxes and planning and permitting fees and city restrictions. Camas is a real pro at annexing. You can follow their progress (especially where they put schools on the fringes and then gobble up the rats who are congregating around the schools.). Similar with city (or port) owned properties and services + Fire Stations built by Districts, but then absorbed by cities. Annex a small peninsula / island, then go in for the kill a few yrs later. Camas put up a pretty strong fight when Vancouver grabbed properties east of 164thAve. There was some swapping of treasures when Camas had to give up high valuation properties it already had claimed near Fisher Elementary (since 1980s). Land use attorneys can make a very lucrative career on both sides of the borders. There is a lot of collusion with the prime investors and officials (politics is big business, no surprise)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area